Smoking

Do you approve of smoking, and is it something you do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad's smokes about 40 cigarettes a day and I used to, before I realised I didn't need to do drugs and smoke and be edgy to fit in. Even though I'm concerned about my dad's health, I can't do anything about it. You can't force a smoker to quit, you can't force a self harmer to stop cutting themselves, you can't force a drug addict to go cold turkey because there's serious consequences to that. It's an addiction just like anything else.

Reading some your replies (not all), I'm even more disgusted with you people. Have some respect.

I don't know your situation and in my situation my parents asked my sister and I do to this:

My parents were also heavy smokers. Since they didn't have the willpower to quit themselves, they asked that every time my sister or I were with them, and they started to pull out a cigarette, that we would remind them to cut it out, even if it seemed excessive (to me anyway. I think my sister enjoyed nagging them and telling them things like "I want you to be alive to see your grandchildren", etc.).

I don't know your situation and in my situation my parents asked my sister and I do to this:

My parents were also heavy smokers. Since they didn't have the willpower to quit themselves, they asked that every time my sister or I were with them, and they started to pull out a cigarette, that we would remind them to cut it out, even if it seemed excessive (to me anyway. I think my sister enjoyed nagging them and telling them things like "I want you to be alive to see your grandchildren", etc.).

Yeah, I'll try that. My dad used to joke that when I got into university (the irony is that I never want to go to university) he'd quit.

My dad's an aggressive smoker. He doesn't have the willpower to quit and I can see it killing him. I'm scared for him, cause if he dies I'm all alone. But there's nothing I can do about it, really.

Shaunie Divider Final Upload .png

Not now and not ever in a million years. Personally this is just me but I think I'd rather not have yellow teeth, smell terrible and do something that would eventually kill me. I have a very low opinion of people who smoke mostly due to the reasons usually used as to WHY they start smoking "because I wanted to fit in with my friends" - "because I needed an escape!!" complete weakness and cowardice. Sorry that what I'm saying might offend some of you, but I'm just calling it what it is. There are much other ways to cope with things other than turning to drugs and cigarettes, be a little bit more openminded please...

Dark King Boo Normal Smile.png

Last edited:
I can't stand it. It's sad that even people my age do it (underage) After school there's a whole gang of smokers who hide under this hut in the park. They have been spoken to by police multiple times, but they never listen. Really surprised they haven't been arrested yet. It's sad how their parents are mostly oblivious and don't care what they get up to, I have to hold my breath every time I walk through the park which is just ridiculous.

View attachment 194390

Not now and not ever in a million years. Personally this is just me but I think I'd rather not have yellow teeth, smell terrible and do something that would eventually kill me. I have a very low opinion of people who smoke mostly due to the reasons usually used as to WHY they start smoking "because I wanted to fit in with my friends" - "because I needed an escape!!" complete weakness and cowardice. Sorry that what I'm saying might offend some of you, but I'm just calling it what it is. There are much other ways to cope with things other than turning to drugs and cigarettes, be a little bit more openminded please...

View attachment 194391

That was a horrifically closed-minded responce. Please be open-minded and consider that it is an addiction. Nobody is weak or a coward for starting.

That was a horrifically closed-minded responce. Please be open-minded and consider that it is an addiction. Nobody is weak or a coward for starting.

It's an addiction when you make the decision to try it out of idiotic curiosity, you don't get addicted by not trying it, you get addicted BY trying it. It becomes an addiction when you make the choice to try it despite the 'warning signs' you get about it. We are living in a time where the ingredients in the cigarette and what the effects can have on your health are fully comprehendible and well-known unlike in older times where nobody knew about how dangerous they were. There is no argument about it to be made lmfao, you made the unfortunate choice to be a smoker despite knowing it can harm your health and by that unfortunate choice, you are addicted to it.

Not Impressed Boo.png

Last edited:
I don't smoke but I don't disaprove it.

I don't think it's up to me to say if something is bad or good. It's clearly awful for your health, it makes your teeth disgusting, and everything around you (from clothes to hair) to smell bad for hours, but I guess it's your life and you can do whatever you want with it. :rolleyes:

I don't smoke, and never will I do either.

One of my classmates does however (we're 16), and I don't mind really. As long as he doesn't force anyone to smoke I don't see the problem. Whenever someone asks why he does it, he just simply says that he just wants to.
But he's had a rough childhood, so that might be the real reason.

i spent a good solid 10 minutes trying to figure out if I posted in this thread but turns out I never did(my slow self).

I use to think smoking looked pretty cool, mostly the random b/w pictures I see on pintrest/tumblr/google with the hot male/female models smoking. Turns out not everyone is a model in real life and makes smoking look like something that LOOKED cool to something that?s depressing. I got this notion from my Aunt. She usually smokes when she?s under pressure or stress. I felt quite upset when she asked if she can have a quick smoke when I took her out on Valentine?s to that restaraunt she wanted to go to. I?m aware it?s a addiction and quite a bad habit for her to break but I also think of her heart and she?s well aware of it. When we have our little ?deep chats? she goes in deep ends to tell me the dark *** she?s thinking and it gives me a factor in why she?s smoking in the first place. Most of my family members died from stress that resulted in unexpected heart attacks. The factors of her smoking and knowing that she?s prone to ?stress-killer? in my family just gets me thinking.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUT she?s family so ofc I?m going to worry. I really don?t give a flying rat ass about anyone else tho.

Last edited:
It's an addiction when you make the decision to try it out of idiotic curiosity, you don't get addicted by not trying it, you get addicted BY trying it. It becomes an addiction when you make the choice to try it despite the 'warning signs' you get about it. We are living in a time where the ingredients in the cigarette and what the effects can have on your health are fully comprehendible and well-known unlike in older times where nobody knew about how dangerous they were. There is no argument about it to be made lmfao, you made the unfortunate choice to be a smoker despite knowing it can harm your health and by that unfortunate choice, you are addicted to it.

First and foremost I wanna say that giving in to peer pressure isn't something that someone should be blamed and put down for. If you wanna be an ass to anyone about that, blame the people pressuring others. Calling people "weak" and "cowards" for falling into pressure from other crapstains doesn't only not help but it is ignorant and just flat out malicious. It's victim blaming.

Aside from that, that's not the only reason people start smoking. Some people start because smoking has been proven to be a de-stresser especially for people with anxiety and they can't seek actual therapy, which could be for a huge number of reasons. This is especially true for young people who need mental help but either their parents or money are preventing them from getting it, and when you've started at a young age it's hard to get out of even when you have gotten the help you need.

Sure it's on the worse end of ways to cope but putting people down for it along with any other harmful addiction helps absolutely no one.

Last edited:
View attachment 194402

View attachment 194403

I'm surprised you automatically have a lower opinion of people who smoke. People from all walks of life smoke and for different reasons - and if they're a courteous smoker who always cleans up after themselves and doesn't smoke in your presence, what does it matter to you what they do with their body?

Try to be a little more open minded. Many great people I've met are smokers and they deserve more respect than a lot of non-smokers.

First and foremost I wanna say that giving in to peer pressure isn't something that someone should be blamed and put down for. If you wanna be an ass to anyone about that, blame the people pressuring others. Calling people "weak" and "cowards" for falling into pressure from other crapstains doesn't only not help but it is ignorant and just flat out malicious. It's victim blaming.

Aside from that, that's not the only reason people start smoking. Some people start because smoking has been proven to be a de-stresser especially for people with anxiety and they can't seek actual therapy, which could be for a huge number of reasons. This is especially true for young people who need mental help but either their parents or money are preventing them from getting it, and when you've started at a young age it's hard to get out of even when you have gotten the help you need.

Sure it's on the worse end of ways to cope but putting people down for it along with any other harmful addiction helps absolutely no one.

Unfortunately, it is just a temporary de-stresser. When someone gets lung cancer from it, they probably would be wishing they found a different way to relieve stress. It's a shame that smoking is even legal. People will always be people, and some people have addictive personalities like that.

View attachment 194402

View attachment 194403

Who the hell said you're addicted to not starting? I think you're tremendously confused. My grandparents who are turning 70 this year smoked since 16, their parents smoked, my dad has smoked since he was 16 (he's now 47). It's scientifically proven that children who's parents smoked are much more likely to start smoking. Not only was that a lame argument, it was so lame and I can tell that you are such a negative, disrespectful person that it's not even worth responding to the pure ignorance further. Good day.

- - - Post Merge - - -

when will i find an argument not full of ignorance? when will Harold return from the war?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it is just a temporary de-stresser. When someone gets lung cancer from it, they probably would be wishing they found a different way to relieve stress. It's a shame that smoking is even legal. People will always be people, and some people have addictive personalities like that.

I'm aware but even if temporary it's some peoples' only relief.

I wish cigarettes/cigars stopped being a thing too but I still have sympathy for the people who became addicted and I recognise that they need actual help rather than someone going "ur a stupid idiot coward! enjoy your cancer you dumb piece of ****"

If you give into the peer pressure to be a smoker and it's not your fault, then answer this: WHO's fault is it? When you make the decision to be a smoker whatever happens is entirely on you so yes I will blame them. I didn't choose for them, you didn't choose for them, THEY decided on their own free-will. If you are offended by my choice of wording to describe the action of being a smoker then I don't know what to tell you, it's simply stating the truth. People must take responsibility for actions that are in their own control such as smoking.

I'm aware of that some people use smoking as a de-stresser and that's why I specifically said that there are other ways to help cope with it and by choosing that method of coping with it is closed-minded. And it's not whether saying the truth is beneficial to smokers or not I'm not some counselor for them, what I am simply doing is calling 'a spade a spade'.

Confused Boo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back