• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Smoking

Do you approve of smoking, and is it something you do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, it is just a temporary de-stresser. When someone gets lung cancer from it, they probably would be wishing they found a different way to relieve stress. It's a shame that smoking is even legal. People will always be people, and some people have addictive personalities like that.

You make it sound like everybody who touches a cigarette gets lung cancer.

I don't smoke regularly anymore , but I still pretty much stand by the same logic as when I did: pretty much everything 'can kill you' these days, a cigarette probably won't be the culprit.

be a little bit more openminded please...

Oh, the irony...

That's some good advice. I suggest you listen to it.

Last edited:
If you give into the peer pressure to be a smoker and it's not your fault, then answer this: WHO's fault is it? When you make the decision to be a smoker whatever happens is entirely on you so yes I will blame them. I didn't choose for them, you didn't choose for them, THEY decided on their own free-will. If you are offended by my choice of wording to describe the action of being a smoker then I don't know what to tell you, it's simply stating the truth. People must take responsibility for actions that are in their own control such as smoking.

I'm aware of that some people use smoking as a de-stresser and that's why I specifically said that there are other ways to help cope with it and by choosing that method of coping with it is closed-minded. And it's not whether saying the truth is beneficial to smokers or not I'm not some counselor for them, what I am simply doing is calling 'a spade a spade'.

I implied whose fault it is already: It's the people doing the peer pressuring. They're being bullies. Someone is not "acting on free will" if they were coaxed and pressured into doing something. Victims of any sort of pressure should not be the ones being blamed but especially not if they're young.

Yes there are other methods and other ways of coping but again, as I said: not all of these are easily accessible. Also not all of them work for everybody. Plus when you're in a pani the first thing that goes through your head isn't "Hm, what can I do to stop this? Let's calmly and carefully brainstorm the options and take colour coded notes" but "Oh my god okay what's going to prevent me from breaking apart right the hell now".

I'm surprised you automatically have a lower opinion of people who smoke. People from all walks of life smoke and for different reasons - and if they're a courteous smoker who always cleans up after themselves and doesn't smoke in your presence, what does it matter to you what they do with their body?

Try to be a little more open minded. Many great people I've met are smokers and they deserve more respect than a lot of non-smokers.

Shaunie Divider Final Upload .png

Those smokers you are describing who actually clean up after themselves and don't smoke around others around parking lots where people walk to their cars and store entrances definitely deserve some credit, but I'm talking about the action itself of WHY they do it that is what I'm talking about. The reasons of some individuals on why they smoke specifically the examples I gave are what I am talking about. If the smoker like you said cleans up after themselves and doesn't smoke around people in big public places then no it doesn't matter. I'm not talking about what sort of actions separate the disrespectful and inconsiderate smokers from the opposite, I'm talking about the action of how someone becomes a smoker.

Spooky Smiling Boo.png

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't smoke regularly anymore , but I still pretty much stand by the same logic as when I did: pretty much everything 'can kill you' these days, a cigarette probably won't be the culprit.

Oh, the irony...

Okay, clearly you have no idea what I meant by that, so I'll enlighten you on your false attempt to paint me as a hypocrite: I was talking about being open-minded to methods to cope through things in life that don't potentially put your health and life at risk. I surround myself with things that I enjoy such as video games, reading, anime etc. Your turn for some advice: how about before you comment on something you clearly don't know about and then try to insinuate something about others, you know what's actually being said.

Not Impressed Boo.png

Oh, the irony...

By no means am I saying everyone does. But the potential is there (and higher than a non-smoker in most cases).

View attachment 194409

Those smokers you are describing who actually clean up after themselves and don't smoke around others around parking lots where people walk to their cars and store entrances definitely deserve some credit, but I'm talking about the action itself of WHY they do it that is what I'm talking about. The reasons of some individuals on why they smoke specifically the examples I gave are what I am talking about. If the smoker like you said cleans up after themselves and doesn't smoke around people in big public places then no it doesn't matter. I'm not talking about what sort of actions separate the disrespectful and inconsiderate smokers from the opposite, I'm talking about the action of how someone becomes a smoker.

View attachment 194410

- - - Post Merge - - -

View attachment 194411

Okay, clearly you have no idea what I meant by that, so I'll enlighten you on your false attempt to paint me as a hypocrite: I was talking about being open-minded to methods to cope through things in life that don't potentially put your health and life at risk. I surround myself with things that I enjoy such as video games, reading, anime etc. Your turn for some advice: how about before you comment on something you clearly don't know about and then try to insinuate something about others, you know what's actually being said.

View attachment 194412

How about you don't cherry pick open-mindedness. I understand you would prefer to spend time finding new pictures of boos than actually researching things from a smoker's POV, but you actively insulted those who do it.

Who the hell said you're addicted to not starting? I think you're tremendously confused. My grandparents who are turning 70 this year smoked since 16, their parents smoked, my dad has smoked since he was 16 (he's now 47). It's scientifically proven that children who's parents smoked are much more likely to start smoking. Not only was that a lame argument, it was so lame and I can tell that you are such a negative, disrespectful person that it's not even worth responding to the pure ignorance further. Good day.

- - - Post Merge - - -

when will i find an argument not full of ignorance? when will Harold return from the war?

Nobody is? But by your comment before of "Please be open-minded because it is an addiction" Not only was it a failed attempt to try to mock me by copying my choice of wording, but it also makes no sense. Translation of that: "Please don't blame people who become smokers, they're addicted to it so it's not their fault". By that comment you are trying to victimize them and you can't victimize an action such as smoking when it's a CHOICE. So you are talking about ME having a "lame argument" when you say something such as that? So Pot, when's Kettle joining this debate?

So because I stated my opinion which is TRUE, it's not opinionated like about how smoking is a choice and giving common examples of why people start smoking which is also true means you have the right to stoop down to insulting me with calling me "disrespectful"? My turn for a prediction: you are one of those people who can't handle the opinion of others and when you are back into a corner, you pull the 'write the last comment and walk away' tactic. Don't start debates when you can't handle it.

Surprised Boo.png

So because I stated my opinion which is TRUE, it's not opinionated like about how smoking is a choice...

You: This is my opinion
You: It is true, which implies it is not an opinion
You: It's not opinionated
You: You can't handle my opinion

tumblr_inline_ob797ipjsl1qf3b39_500.gif

How about you don't cherry pick open-mindedness. I understand you would prefer to spend time finding new pictures of boos than actually researching things from a smoker's POV, but you actively insulted those who do it.

Hmm... Maybe I'll get down to that when you find something to contribute that has actual relevance to this topic instead of attempting to try and insult me with something as irrelevant as my commenting style. Who said anything about me cherry picking open-mindedness? I'm stating there are more ways to coping with things than smoking and drugs and I gave my personal interests as ways of coping with things as an example for Tao's false attempt to paint me as a hypocrite.

Not Impressed Boo.png

Last edited:

Hmm... Maybe I'll get down to that when you find something to contribute that has actual relevance to this topic instead of attempting to try and insult me with something as irrelevant as my commenting style. Who said anything about me cherry picking open-mindedness? I'm stating there are more ways to coping with things than smoking and drugs and I gave my personal interests as ways of coping with things as an example for Tao's false attempt to paint me as a hypocrite.

That's funny, because not everyone has other ways to cope other than smoking. My post is revelant in that you called smokers cowards among other things. Your insults towards people who don't share your lifestyle are as extra as your emoticons and if you can't deal with the call-outs by other users, don't post rude things.

You're the one who initially said that people should be a "little more openminded please" while ironically being very closedminded about the reasons why people start smoking. That's hypocrisy.

bpzdjLV.png

You: This is my opinion
You: It is true, which implies it is not an opinion
You: It's not opinionated
You: You can't handle my opinion

tumblr_inline_ob797ipjsl1qf3b39_500.gif

If my opinion was actually able to be handled, we wouldn't have 'hit and run' comments like Forestyne's so yes, some people unfortunately can't seem to handle it. I simply stated 3 things that were true:

1) Smoking is a choice, it is not something out of anyone's control and the action to try a cigarette and become a regular or occasional smoker is a choice to be personally made.

2) One of the common reasons people become smokers in the first place is through peer-pressure.

3) Another common reason is why people become smokers is a way to cope through stresses they sometimes experience in life.

Do you not have anything to contribute to the debate you started with me to the point where you have to pull out an Oprah Winfrey gif from Tumblr? What I said is based on what everyone knows about smokers, basically those 3 points so why you are deciding to argue it by placing a gif of "So what is true" when you know those 3 points of my first comment is true.

In Thought Boo.png

Do you not have anything to contribute to the debate you started with me to the point where you have to pull out an Oprah Winfrey gif from Tumblr? What I said is based on what everyone knows about smokers, basically those 3 points so why you are deciding to argue it by placing a gif of "So what is true" when you know those 3 points of my first comment is true.

o8euRNK.png

I have replied already aside from that comment, it's the second comment on that page, right under Tao's. You are the one who didn't reply. The gif was referring how you contradicted yourself twice about the same topic in one comment, it had nothing to do with your opinion on smoking/smokers.

NVSXltN.png

I've always have had a hatred for smoking.
Both of my parents smoked while I was growing up and it permanently made me avoid the smoke at all costs.
Now, I still don't like it but some of my friends do and it would be so petty to stop talking to them because of their smoking habits.
Some are really bad influences though and try to make me smoke while they are.
Thankfully, up till now I have refrained from trying cigarettes!

o8euRNK.png

I have replied already aside from that comment, it's the second comment on that page, right under Tao's. You are the one who didn't reply. The gif was referring how you contradicted yourself twice about the same topic in one comment, it had nothing to do with your opinion on smoking/smokers.

NVSXltN.png

where did u get the second image???do they come in a set?

By no means am I saying everyone does. But the potential is there (and higher than a non-smoker in most cases).

Yea, true.

I'll leave that there though instead of being nitpicky. Don't want to sound like I'm promoting smoking.

Thanks for clearing that up, now I can confirm that I did in fact know what you were saying and that I stand by my suggestion.

Glad we got that sorted. Good talk.

Not really a fan of smoking...
Don't have anything against anyone who would do this...
But it is bad for their health...

View attachment 194417

If my opinion was actually able to be handled, we wouldn't have 'hit and run' comments like Forestyne's so yes, some people unfortunately can't seem to handle it. I simply stated 3 things that were true:

1) Smoking is a choice, it is not something out of anyone's control and the action to try a cigarette and become a regular or occasional smoker is a choice to be personally made.

2) One of the common reasons people become smokers in the first place is through peer-pressure.

3) Another common reason is why people become smokers is a way to cope through stresses they sometimes experience in life.

View attachment 194419

Yes smoking cigarettes is indeed a choice in the beginning, but after a while it isn't a choice anymore, it's an addiction. The person has a physical and mental dependence on it where -choice- isn't even relevant or in the picture anymore, they feel the need to do this, otherwise, they go through this process called WITHDRAWAL. And WITHDRAWAL is what makes people fear quitting smoking, because it's an extremely irritating and long term physical/mental pain someone must go through that leads them to a wide variety of symptoms such as headache, depression, fatigue, irritability, difficulty focusing, and much more. Imagine going through your day having to deal and suffer with this, when you can just give yourself just a quick fix of nicotine by smoking another cigarette and solving the problems of your day. It's not that they choose to, it's because they physically/mentally feel like they need to, not want to. Many addicted smokers want to quit, but it's the fear of withdrawal that hold them back. In fact, 95% of quit attempts end up in relapse. So yes, these people are victims. Instead of pointing our fingers and saying "Ah well, you screw up!" how about we help these people who do wish to quit, who do know the risk factors for themselves and their family, and support them? Jesus, imagine trying to help others who are addicted to other drugs with your mentality lol.
People mess up in life, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't sympathize with them, or look at a smoker as if they're lower than us. You don't know the circumstances of a person's life, the environment they grew up in, or their mental status. Most smokers are in lower economic status and half of the smoking popular have some type of mental illness, whether it be depression or anxiety.
Nicotine releases dopamine in the brain that gives you the feeling of pleasure, arousal, increased cognition, and decrease in anxiety and tension so yes it is used as a coping mechanism, especially when it's EASY to get your hands on. You just judge them as being, in your perspective, "teens who just wanted to fit in and be stupid." What you are doing truly is victim blaming those with addiction, don't ever become a counselor for this type of stuff lol.

Japan has this thing where in almost every station or area, they have a sealed room for smokers to smoke inside to prevent inconvenience for others. I honestly wish America or at least MY area, could have the same thing. I mean we have the basic no-smoking signs and encourage people to smoke outside, but its just horrendous.

I personally don't think smoking can be stopped since that would be VERY hard thing to have the entire population try to quit, with businesses wanting to keep their customers addicted so more money for them and customers who get their smoke for whatever reasons they want, so I think the best solution is to just keep the smoke away from public/general population so others don't suffer from second hand smoke + other health problems from being exposed to something they don't want.

Last edited:
I hate it but if people want to smoke I can't expect them to listen to me if I tell them to stop
But the least they can do is not smoke around so many people?? My school is a smoke-free, vapor-free campus and apparently they're supposed to be strict about it now but people will literally smoke around crowds of people and puff puff their air around to everyone
I was walking to class the other day and this girl walking in front of me was smoking, not even caring
I mean its bad enough you're breaking campus rules (and I rly hope the university does a better job enforcing them) but to not even try to do it in a place where there are no people.......

It's very difficult for me sometimes because of people smoking in public (I'm allergic, people think I'm being a prude when I start coughing but I legit can't breathe half the time when I breathe in cigarette smoke XD) It was particularly bad in college when kids would smoke outside my dorm window, whether it was cigarettes or....."other things" >> i dislike both, people can do as they please when they're in their own home/property, but should be respectful in public places.

though. why anyone would do it in the first place is beyond me because of the health risks that come along with it *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back