• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Not-Animal Crossing (game project)

This is amazing! ♥ I really hope you're able to make it into a game one day! I would play in a heart beat ♥

Thanks all!

The 14 emotion frames is now 18. I think everything is covered...soon I will start designing other villager types.

Can't wait to see some of those other animal designs! Do you have a list of which animals you're planning on doing?

I have a work in progress list. Wolves first of course (I'm still seeing if foxes are doable, given they look so similar). Probably lynx or some other cat after that. I'm tempted to do bats although I already have a bat NPC. Hrm...

First I need to get the basic villager code working. So conversations (almost done), followed by their house.

Copy and paste from the rest of the list:
-Gazelle
-Horses
-Rabbits
-Sheep
-Seal? Aquatic mammal
-One of the Mustelids (stoat/otter/weasel).
-Dragon (?)

Obviously many ideas, and plenty of animals to choose from.

Last edited:
When peoplifying animals it's tempting to give them all the same proportions so they can all wear the same clothes and use the same bathrooms, but emphasizing their original size differences enough to notice gives them more animal character. Hope there's space to make wolves at least a pixel or two taller than foxes.
I like all your animal ideas, and wonder if the stoats' bodies will wiggle like a noodle as they walk.
Super excited for your project, keep pounding away.

Oh my lord, a stoat or ferret would be the cutest thing ever. LONGBOIIS! <3

And you could always pull a page from Nintendo and just make one body type to cover a few "species" so the fox and wolf can just be coloration of the same base. I think the stoats and ferrets are similar enough to do the same there. AND HOLY COW A BAT NPC I am already in love. <3

Also can't wait to see a sheep because the sheep in ACNL are my favorite.

And if you want to do a dragon, you should totally do a lizard species and have one of them BE a dragon. Like the alligator/crocodile species in ACNL is neat, but if it was broadened to lizards I think it'd be so cool. So many options!

Last edited:
We'll have to see. I'm working on tilesets right now so that the world feels less bland.

It looks so good so far! Excited to see the progress!

I'm so happy to see you still working on this kickass project! such a brilliant idea <3

After some arguing with code (much of it my own fault), the menu and villager dialogue/emotions are now done.

I will need to decide if I continue with the "lagoon" idea for the beach, or move to rock pools (which Stardew Valley did, I believe).

Upcoming ideas, in no specific order:

-clothing (finally!)
-the shop!
-shells on the beach
-all trees
-all flowers
-all bushes
-leaf piles

Last edited:
This is going to be a very neat game if you ever release it, good job!

I admit, I really like all the pixels in this! They just look really adorable ^-^
Were you looking for any critiques?

I admit, I really like all the pixels in this! They just look really adorable ^-^
Were you looking for any critiques?

There is a lot to do and much will be redone before even any demo comes out, but critiques are welcome. Just be aware that what ever was critiqued and fixed may not even stay in the game :)

Last edited:
Can't wait to see some clothing samples! Poor wolf has been cold and nude! XD

Clothing delayed in favour of finally getting off my backside and coding eye colours. I mean no one will actually notice, I guess.

wdFdTDw.png

NPCs in order, which means working chat boxes, chat dialogue options, emotions, and fun (except asking for errands, which is another time).

Next up: shirts

Then: flowers or shops, idk.

Last edited:
Will shirts be optional? Their fur already looks very cute, your fox could really pull off Crazy Redd's outfit. I'd notice their eyes, even if I really have to look to see, I like learning their colors.

Last edited:
Back