• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Not-Animal Crossing (game project)

I'm so impressed by this. I can't wait to see the end result! Your art on this looks awesome and it looks really fun to play!

Some more WIP screenshots:

A bit empty right now, but that'll improve.

eBT9qL3.png

Gik6mc1.png

f1UGPaA.png

Last edited:
I will start updating the original post soon...I promise.

Last edited:
this is so amazing!!!!!! wow I love love love this project! everything is super cute and beautiful! I'm rooting for you~~

I like the look of this too, I like the world, your art, your HUD, especially the weather bubble and compass. Wait a second, what's the use of a compass? I still like it. I've always cared for Animal Crossing, and I wished we could play as the animal people. If you're willing to reveal some of your plans, is this going to be a friendship simulator like Animal Crossing? Do you intend to have NPC villagers? If we're foxes can we eat the fishes we catch like Wendell? It looks really tight and cozy, good luck.

Haha i love the look of this! Could you make me a random animal crossing style signature with just a screen shot from your game please? = D i'd love that

I like the look of this too, I like the world, your art, your HUD, especially the weather bubble and compass. Wait a second, what's the use of a compass? I still like it. I've always cared for Animal Crossing, and I wished we could play as the animal people. If you're willing to reveal some of your plans, is this going to be a friendship simulator like Animal Crossing? Do you intend to have NPC villagers? If we're foxes can we eat the fishes we catch like Wendell? It looks really tight and cozy, good luck.

I forget sometimes that not everyone can immediately work out where east or west is, even in English-speaking countries. There will be conversations talking about location of objects in regards to cardinal direction. It also fills a space on the screen that has nothing currently :)

The top-left interface was redone a few days ago so it is more compact, but the design is much the same.

I'm aiming for a sort of combination of Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon. There will be NPC characters for sure. There will be more tasks than Animal Crossing (for instance mining, foraging, etc.). I haven't worked towards a survival aspect or rather just interactions with items in that manner, but it is something I have thought about.

Remnantique, sure, but there is much to add to the overworld until it is really screenshot worthy. Bushes. Grass patches. So on :)

Thanks, I think the big bubbly HUD is cute, it looks like clicking the weather or time of day orb might toggle the rest of it. The compass looks good, it might better earn its space if it has more uses; maybe you'd like to add dynamic item markers to it, to simulate the player character's animal senses, so they can follow their noses by following the compass markers, to friends food and fun... or fights.
Since you mentioned survival, have you thought about including dangers? It blew my mind the first time I was bit by a spider in Wild World and my character actually fell down, at the time apparently dead. That may not be a fit for your game though, dunno.

Proof that I still exist below. Since I want to start working on trees and background stuff, it is time to code in the seasonal and day-night changes. I'm going beyond the "Add a dark layer over the screen and its night time" approach, and actually changing the colours of many things. That makes the time of day cycle feel more legitimate (or at least I feel it does).

Also preview of the new interface w date and time.

Top two are summer, bottom two are spring. Full size here: http://i.imgur.com/wa2dG25.png

wa2dG25.png

Last edited:
Awesome!!
Keep up the work, you're super talented!!

Happy to report that fishing is finalized. Just need to draw all the fish.

R4JcJ39.png

I'm starting to work on text boxes, which means I've been experimenting with how I want to handle portraits. I'm happy to admit I'm pretty poor at portrait art but it'll do for now. The bottom part will be covered by clothing, based on what the NPCs are wearing.

Last edited:
I really like the portrait. Also just want to say I really love how colorful your UI is! It pops.

Thanks! Yeah that's the plan. I am a fan of colours that's for sure...

Speaking of colours, I just finished this. The great thing about those sorts of holographic stamp/foil things is even if the art isn't that good, it still looks amazing:

Ul5bwcT.png

The bottom part is biased green so that it doesn't distract from what it will be covering in that area.

Last edited:
this looks amazing, will you be doing a Kickstarter or something for it?

this looks amazing, will you be doing a Kickstarter or something for it?

I expect so, but I would like a demo of sorts before then. As soon as the tools and equipment are set I will start working on buildings and NPCs, and the game should fall together nicely.

I had a 5 minute debate with myself earlier on whether I should make the koi the same shape as the carp, as Animal Crossing always had, or opt for the more realistic koi which is much more slender. I went for the latter.

ly2h4bL.png

Last edited:
Shaking trees definitely working as intended:

q7IEDJg.gif

The great thing about programming is coding always works as expected. Where the hell did the fishing bobber come from???

edit: 2 hours later and it really is working as intended, that's another one checked off the to-do list.

Last edited:
Everything is looking so amazing. The tree shaking reminds of Gaia Towns a lot. The fish looks great! I love watching this develop.

Working on villagers right now...

vr2qf0i.png

This is my first time succeeding at drawing coloured keywords within the text, which is something I've tried and failed to do many times in the past. Obviously, shirts are not ready yet...There are 14 frames of emotion for each villager so far, and I'd like to keep it at that number if possible.

Eventually houses will be in the works, and that will be an exciting time...

Last edited:
Back