What do you think will happen with TBT when/if Animal Crossing Switch is released?

AnimalCrossingPerson

Please respect GDPR
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
New Horizons Token
20 Envelopes
Red Candy
Red Candy
Winter Mittens
Lucky
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Timmy Christmas Doll
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Hey guys, here's something interesting to think about.

Assuming there will be an Animal Crossing game for the Nintendo Switch, perhaps in the somewhat distant future, what impact do you reckon this will have on The Bell Tree forums?

I think it'll cause an increase in activity, 'cause why not, but The Train Station may be a little less busy with AC Switch compared to New Leaf due to the paid online.

I think the paid online future would make AC unpopular on the switch... A big appeal is being able to visit peoples towns, play with friends etc.

I think the paid online future would make AC unpopular on the switch... A big appeal is being able to visit peoples towns, play with friends etc.

Yeah, I think it's kinda sucky and when they go from free to paid in Autumn, there will certainly be a drop in Mario Kart and Splatoon online matches, just as examples.

Yeah, I think it's kinda sucky and when they go from free to paid in Autumn, there will certainly be a drop in Mario Kart and Splatoon online matches, just as examples.

Yea, I'm not sure what Nintendo is thinking.
People don't even like paying for the PlayStation or Xbox online services but some adults play it who do actually pay for it. Nintendo is more targeted at kids... you think kids' parents are going to pay monthly for online game play? Doubt it...

Not saying adults don't play Nintendo, just that the target audience tends to be younger.

Last edited:
People don't even like paying for the PlayStation or Xbox online services but some adults play it who do actually pay for it. Nintendo is more targeted at kids... you think kids' parents are going to pay monthly for online game play? Doubt it...

To be fair, it's pretty hard to not give in to a child. Who do you think pays for all those Club Penguin memberships? :p

It's a poor decision but might earn them more money, despite the risk involved.

I never had my parents pay me club penguin, my dad is super cheap I always had to wait for some money to come up. the point is, If there are some people that will pay it, Nintendo is not gonna care for the rest of the population... At least that's what I think...

Definitely an increase of activity and I don't doubt the Train Station may be less busy, especially since so far what we've learned about Nintendo's online infrustructure isn't worth more than $20 a year. With Playstation Plus and Xbox Live, you get neat bonuses for your money ("Free" Games until sub runs out, Beta invites, Icons, etc) but Nintendo's upcoming doesn't have voice chat or groups built into the Switch, the 1 "free" NES/SNES game you have to give back at the end of the month, and really what have they shown us as worth paying for?

Yeah, the online play for Nintendo doesnt seem to be worth it, even if we dont know what the price will be. I mean come on, no voice chat? That's basic!

Couldn't people Homebrew their Switch to reroute which server the wifi connects to? Kinda like how how people play AC:WW and AC:CF online even though Nintendo shut down the DS and Wii wifi networks? :eek:

Only just heard about this payment thing.

If it's true, I'm super disappointed in Nintendo. I thought they were moving forward as a company. This goes against so many things that make video games special. I guarantee hackers will start setting up custom networks for people to use for free.

Last edited:
Couldn't people Homebrew their Switch to reroute which server the wifi connects to? Kinda like how how people play AC:WW and AC:CF online even though Nintendo shut down the DS and Wii wifi networks? :eek:
I mean they could try, but I'm pretty sure getting a cease and desist from Big N will shut that down fast.

they should give the site a paywall to fit in with the future paid online services
@admins: consider this

I don't suggest worrying about the cost of Nintendo's paid online service. If it is bad, do not subscribe, and they will learn quickly what they are doing wrong. We also don't have the full details.

I think if they do release the switch game for Animal Crossing, we should wait like a few weeks before pushing the boards or still keep the most popular game as the main support for the server.

I don't suggest worrying about the cost of Nintendo's paid online service. If it is bad, do not subscribe, and they will learn quickly what they are doing wrong. We also don't have the full details.

I agree that we don't have all the details yet, which is a good reason not to panic for the time being, but with the competition (Xbox & PlayStation) charging for online, it's unlikely they'd back out of this decision unless the number of players plummets enough to make paid online Mario Kart and Splatoon unfeasable.

Anyway, we really do have to wait to see the price, mostly. What annoys me is that I'd only use it every now and then and there's no way I'd be paying ?50 a year to play online games with breaks of up to half a year.

Apologies this thread got a little off track, and may continue that way.

Back