• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The switch and paid online service

QueenOpossum

Trash Queen
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
7595-9919-0672
Christmas Candy
Christmas Candy
Snow Angel Snowman
Tin Robot
Purple Bat Potion
Key to Bell Tree Manor
Ghostly Preserves
Eerie Star Potion
The Bell Tree World Championship 2021 Patch
Summer Shell
Hey y'all. I know there's no Animal Crossing on the switch for now, but I think we all know it's when not if. How do you think the new Nintendo model of paying for online service will effect animal crossing?

If there's a version of dream towns, will you need the online function for that - either uploading or viewing?

What about the trading boards - how many people will no longer be able to use it?

(Myself, I probably won't be paying for their online service - which makes me sad)

What about the lack of street passing?

it was all going so good until they introduced paid online services. i think this was a mistake, especially if they decide to put AC on the switch. now that this comes up though, i dont think they are going to put the AC series on the switch. if the 3DS has any time left, they'll probably shoot for one last AC game on it. i think the best way to go is to keep it on the 3DS anyways, the switch is supposed to be mobile, but lets be realistic, the game screen is giant and the 3DS is perfect for mobile gaming.

You know. This may be the #1 terrible thing that everyone will complain about the switch. Back in everyone's day, online play was free. Now it'll feel like a ghost town, seeing as this is now a thing. Not many people will play online due to this. I would play online, if only if I can convince my mother to doing this.

I always play Animal Crossing: New Leaf online, now it seems that everyone who has to pay monthly... I tell y'all, Nintendo is CHEAP AS HECK!

it was all going so good until they introduced paid online services. i think this was a mistake, especially if they decide to put AC on the switch. now that this comes up though, i dont think they are going to put the AC series on the switch. if the 3DS has any time left, they'll probably shoot for one last AC game on it. i think the best way to go is to keep it on the 3DS anyways, the switch is supposed to be mobile, but lets be realistic, the game screen is giant and the 3DS is perfect for mobile gaming.

I also thought the stream went down when they announced the prices...$300 to start? $80 for another controller? $90 for a base? $60 for that terrible looking "arms" game?

Then charging for online...

I disagree - even if the switch isn't as mobile as the 3ds, its mobile enough. Plus idk how many people actually use the portability - when i'm out of the house, I'm doing stuff. I very rarely use my 3ds away from home. If they were gonna do another 3ds AC, I don't think they would have done the amiibo update.

- - - Post Merge - - -

You know. This may be the #1 terrible thing that everyone will complain about the switch. Back in everyone's day, online play was free. Now it'll feel like a ghost town, seeing as this is now a thing. Not many people will play online due to this. I would play online, if only if I can convince my mother to doing this.

I always play Animal Crossing: New Leaf online, now it seems that everyone who has to pay monthly... I tell y'all, Nintendo is CHEAP AS HECK!

Yeah - I'm not gonna pay for online to trade items with people once a month or check out a dream town every six...just doesn't make sense, for me at least. I'm sure for a lot of people as well.

I think it's kind of ridiculous that on top of paying a lot of money for the console and games, we also have to pay for online services...

To be honest, if the console and accessories and games were cheaper, I wouldn't mind paying for online services. But seeing as how EVERYTHING about the Switch seems overpriced, it feels like a slap in the face to me. :(

They are doing it to 'prevent hackers from going online'. Nintendo should know that this is TOTAL BS! The PS4, Xbox ONE and Xbox 360 force you to pay to play online yet there's tons of hackers on those services. It's either that, or Nintendo wants all of our money. Also, I think Animal Crossing plays better on a TV (my arms get tired after holding the 3DS for a long period of time and so does my neck as I have to look down at it) so I'd rather have an Animal Crossing game on the Switch since you can plug it into a TV. It's about time they bring the series to superior hardware... after the mobile app.

I understand a lot of people are upset over the online subscription but rather than looking at the negatives, think of the positives it may bring; paying to use online means more money that can be used for better quality gaming or potential rewards for being a loyal consumer!

Yes, I'm slightly annoyed by it but we can all hope it brings better quality online gaming with it.

I understand a lot of people are upset over the online subscription but rather than looking at the negatives, think of the positives it may bring; paying to use online means more money that can be used for better quality gaming or potential rewards for being a loyal consumer!

Yes, I'm slightly annoyed by it but we can all hope it brings better quality online gaming with it.

See the problem is, I don't really online game. I occasionally trade items on here - that it. And I've never had problems with it, so I don't care about improvements.

Putting up a paywall will just mean I turn around. I won't be imploring my friends to get ac so we can play together. "Hey enleft, should I get a switch and animal crossing?" "eh, whatever".

- - - Post Merge - - -

They are doing it to 'prevent hackers from going online'. Nintendo should know that this is TOTAL BS! The PS4, Xbox ONE and Xbox 360 force you to pay to play online yet there's tons of hackers on those services. It's either that, or Nintendo wants all of our money. Also, I think Animal Crossing plays better on a TV (my arms get tired after holding the 3DS for a long period of time and so does my neck as I have to look down at it) so I'd rather have an Animal Crossing game on the Switch since you can plug it into a TV. It's about time they bring the series to superior hardware... after the mobile app.

Yes, I am excited about AC on the TV. And I love being able to hold the controller "lazier" - i.e the separate parts, not a block i have to hold in front of me in both hands.

- - - Post Merge - - -

To be honest, if the console and accessories and games were cheaper, I wouldn't mind paying for online services. But seeing as how EVERYTHING about the Switch seems overpriced, it feels like a slap in the face to me. :(

RIGHT? $90 for the BASE that doesn't do anything except have the plugs???

I was disappointed to hear this as well, but it could possibly be a good thing too. Us paying for online services should mean that there are people being paid to make online play even better.

THIS ^

Like I know the starting price will go down eventually but the people that are interested don't wanna wait and will pay this absurd price.... its not right

I don't think there will be an AC on Switch for a long while if at all because of the new Amiibo update on 3DS. They will probably focus on keeping AC on 3DS and every now and then do updates to keep players playing. Though i agree i would like to play it on a bigger screen.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also with Nintendo now trying to compete with xbox and playstation i dont think its price is that expensive, Iv pre ordered it at ?279, thats what most playstations go for new, not sure on xbox as i dont have one. I agree the games are a tad overpriced, ?49.99 for Zelda but again thats the average price now for new playstation/xbox games. I have also pre ordered the pro controller which i really dont want to pay ?60 for but the main controller that comes with it i cannot see me enjoying holding that thing for hours >_< . Lastly, again with it trying to compete with the big consoles its going to need online and need to charge to keep it working and for game investments ect ect. If its anything like PS charge... like ?40 for the year ill happily pay that IF i have the need to go online with a game I have for it

It could be a yearly payment, sort of like Pok?mon Bank. They haven't really confirmed anything yet which is a shame.

Back