• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How do you deal with having no friends?

yeah i have friends. they're good people but we're mainly just friends for the sake of having friends. i mean they're fun to hang out with but i feel like they don't care about me that much. but i don't really feel bad because of that. i guess i know i have my family

I do have friends I'm just not that much of a social person. I enjoy going out and having fun but sometimes I have terrible anxiety. I think my friends just kind of know that and they don't really care.

man, i wish i could help you feel better :/ but i don't always know what to do either

i've always made friends fairly easily and had a large group of acquaintances as well as a couple of really close friends. i like some alone time but i'm a pretty social person.... when i moved back to my hometown from new orleans, though, it was really, really tough for me. all of my old friends had either moved away or were just not the type of people i wanted to spend my energy on any more.

it's been a rough adjustment period, for sure. it doesn't help that this is a small, boring town - compared to nola there's nothing to do. i don't know where to go to meet new people except for bars, and that's not exactly ideal. (is this a super inappropriate thing to mention on this website?) i met a guy at a bar and it didn't work out.... we dated for a few months (if i'm being honest... because it kept me from being bored) but i split up with him last week so. back to square one. plus, i always used to work in restaurants and would make friends with my coworkers. now i work at a private practice counseling place with only two other people. both of them are counselors aaaand also they're my parents' age.
mostly i just keep in touch with my out-of-town friends over the phone and try to keep busy, i guess.

anyway sorry for whining about my situation so much. my advice to you would be to try something like the meetup app ? or maybe look through different facebook groups? to find something you're interested in - and then you can meet people with similar interests. same goes for volunteering ! that's always an option

but i mean if a group setting like that seems anxiety-inducing or not like something you're interested in, there's no obligation for you to do it. there's no obligation for you to have a huge group of friends, either. honestly, there's nothing wrong with doing things alone and getting to know yourself a little bit. don't feel weird about it! the main thing is to find some sort of hobby, something you like that's healthy, and go to that when you're bored or feeling lonely.

you seem like a very caring person, and you're probably a great friend. i know others have said this, but don't view this little rut that you're in as a reflection of yourself or beat yourself up over it!

Last edited:
the internet. twitter is a huge community of people with basically every interest you could ever imagine, i make a lot of friends on twitter that i often play games with. but in terms of real life friends, i have one close best friend, and my cousins. my cousins are like my siblings and mean the world to me

Sometimes my fragile little ego will protect itself by somehow giving me pride in being alone

honestly all my school freinds have been people i only talk to at school and ive had a few online friends but now im left with 1 close internet friend and some non close internet friends and no real friends cause im home schooled and its so nice having no friends tbh no drama no going out no worrying ect id rather have no friends then friends tbh

- - - Post Merge - - -

butt yeah kik, instagram, twitter, and youtube will give me the social interaction i need

Surround yourself with positive people. Like your family! I may not have many friends, and the few I do have aren't that close to me, but I'm still a pretty happy person! I socialize with my brother and my cousins, and they're enough for me. If we weren't related, we would so be BFF's. (;

Surround yourself with positive people. Like your family!
Too bad my family is extremely judgemental and not positive lmao. Hard to build up myself esteem when they comment on everything I do.

is anyone in this thread willing to be friends with a perpetually lonely person like myself? I honestly have no one anymore and I'm so close to snapping.

Eh. I don't have any friends anymore due to bad health. It doesn't bug me too much because I would rather have no friends than fake friends?
When I feel lonely I usually just cuddle my pet rabbit. He luvs me :)
If I'm more lonely I usually just sit with it for a while or watch videos online or whatever. Depends.

I sometimes get that feel in certain places, but I can't talk that much because in others I have some great friends. But, I'll try my best.

For starters, I think it helps that you have other close relationships such as your family and bf, and the fact that you aren't bullied or anything. But, I know loneliness can still get to you when they aren't there. That feeling of being the lame one who can chit chat but not much more is horrible.
What I do is remember that what the other people think of me isn't a big deal, and that I have some other people who care about me out there who I'm fine with being myself around.

One the topic of making friends, I just have one suggestion. Don't force anything. Yeah, be friendly, but let friendships bloom instead of throwing down a bunch of miracle grow on it.

Learn to value your independence and privacy. Making friends is nice and all, but you should learn to be okay by yourself.

The internet is my way of dealing with feelings of loneliness. Or sometimes I distract myself with hobbies.

I have a fair amount of friends, but I wish I had more online friends. I guess it's easy for me to make friends, but the only problem is that I have become pretty shy over the years.

Making friends, in my opinion, is easier if you share interests with that person. Which is kind of the reason I made an account, so I can make new friends. :D

I kind of a loner in real life, so not having friends really doesn't bother me.

Being in high school, show choir, and clubs really helps me make new friends and keep old ones. Clubs are just great because you meet a bunch of people who share your interests, and you can usually find at least one person who you really click with. I'm also very lucky to have one of the nicest and most supportive friend groups I've ever seen in a high school.

I just try to ignore the fact that I have no friends, because the less I think about it, the less I'll be sad about it. When the issues do come up, I remember this forum and walk away with a smile on my face.

Before: Even I have friends I still feel empty inside
Now: Even I have friends I prefer gaming over socializing they thought I'm pushing them away

Sometimes I feel that people who I consider super close with aren't my closest buds (idk why tbh). I prefer my college friends over my HS friends cause they're are always there for me and all but now we're don't talk that much because we're too busy and all esp to someone who is like a older brother to me even tho I'm a year older than him.

I move a lot so whatever friends I do make are forgotten. I do have some definite friends (we play ACNL together a lot) but that's pretty much it.

I don't really consider my doggo as a friend, as much as i consider him family.

I've just accepted the fact that I'm just not meant to have friends. I used to try and fit in with others but I'm too different and have never just clicked with anyone.
Guess I'm just going to die alone with no one even noticing that I'm gone.

I'm someone who's never had much drive to have friends. I'm able to talk well with people, and pretty much anyone I meet seems to get along with me once we've talked for a bit. But I don't feel like a person who needs friends. I like being alone, and I get along well with my family so I'm not dying for positive social interactions or anything. But to be honest? I'm just extremely picky who I'm actual friends with.

That said I play a lot of online games like monster hunter and ffxiv. I like working in teams and being of use to other people - doing my job well, helping them clear content. So I guess while it's not the same as having irl friends, I play a lot of games with other people and we all have a good time.

Back