• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Migraine remedies?

I used to get them pretty frequently, like one every couple of weeks. They've got way less frequent now but I still get them from time to time. Mine are pretty random too now but they seem to be more common in bright light, hot weather and when I'm dehydrated - so I definitely always try to keep water on me and drink it regularly throughout the day (like Elvenfrost suggested). It sounds dumb but I always shield my eyes from any bright lights instinctively, even if I'm wearing sunglasses. I think I'm quite sensitive to light anyway because strong light makes my eyes sting a little, so it's always good to take precautions haha.

But yeah dark and quiet spaces are the best bet - I've walked out of classes and stumbled home a few times with no vision but it's worth it to be back in bed. I know you said it's not an option for you but prescription-strength painkillers definitely made a difference for me compared to regular paracetamol/ibuprofen. Helps to stop the feeling that your head is being ran over by a truck a little more!

When I get a really bad one I do the ol' quiet place with the ice on the top of your neck thing. It also helps to have the rest of your body be warm because it helps draw the blood away and reduce the pressure it usually works for me, I just sit hunched over with the ice on my neck and my eyes closed somewhere quiet and it makes it more manageable. I only get migraines every once in a while but when I do they are horrible.

I swear by Excedrin Migraine tablets and Tiger Balm. Pop a couple Excedrin and then rub some Tiger Balm on your temples and the back of your neck and just behind your ears. It's an icy-hot sensation and it will take your throbbing pains away!

I hope this helps, friend. <3

Back