• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Computer Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haskell

Saving for a username change KEK
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
0000-0000-0000
Just for a fair warning. Be careful when saving pictures on this site. Attempt to use links to the image if someone is creating you a signature or a drawing. I recommend not saving it to your computer. I only have saved pictures from this site. Visited Google (gmail), MSN.com, Fox, Twitter, Youtube in the past week. In the past week one of my computer files got corrupted (had a professional look at it). It is now gone, thankfully. It could have done some serious harm if I had not noticed it in his opinion.

My computer was acting wacky.

This is just the opinion of a member who only joined on December 22nd. This is not anything from the staff. I just want to inform you all of what I experienced to help prevent things like this.

So the professional found virus/malware or was it outright corruption?

I'm just 15. Only starting to learn about computers.

The professional said it was harmful to the computer - possibly malware from downloading something. On my computer, while he was working on it - it said something about corruption.

That's not what the professional says. I've even asked my father and I.T teacher at school. Father is in the I.T field.

Any image from TBT posted by a member is proned to have malware more than a image posted on a .org, .edu, .gov website.

There's not going to be malware hidden inside of images hosted on TBT itself, imgur, DeviantArt, or pretty much any other image site that people use here. There has never been a reported case of something like that in TBT's 12 year history. That's not common anywhere on the internet because hiding malware in images is pretty much unheard of. Malware is usually downloaded as a program, which is how it runs on your operating system and makes it do unwanted things. The programs are usually downloaded from sketchy websites and email attachments. Gmail normally scans attachments and checks for malicious software, but you may want to check if you've downloaded any attachments from your emails lately. If you think someone links to malicious content on TBT, feel free to report it and we will look into it, but please don't make a public announcement like this if you don't understand the topic completely. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back