• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What is your opinion of Obama's presidency?

What is your opinion of Obama's presidency?

• He did an excellent job and was one of the best presidents in U.S. history.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • He was better than recent presidents, but not historically great.

Votes: 38 38.8%
  • He was okay, but not much different than recent presidents.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • He was worse than recent presidents, but not historically bad.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • He did a terrible job and will go down as one of the worst presidents.

Votes: 13 13.3%

• Total voters

Red Cat

On-and-off member
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
2020-8332-2456
Tin Robot
Boo Halloweaster Egg
Oarfish Head
Oarfish Body
Oarfish Tail
Jingle Christmas Doll
Holiday Candy Cane 2020
Christmas Candy
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
Barack Obama's second term as United States president is almost over and he's giving his farewell address tomorrow, so now is a good time to ask this question: What is your overall opinion on Obama's 8 years as president?

Please don't post stupid stuff like he's a Muslim, he wasn't born in Hawaii, or he hates America. Thank you.

One thing I agree with you on. I acknowledge he is not Muslim. He was born in America.

The last one... I can twist into he had his own vision for America. Don't want to say more.

Last edited:
I think he's just been a pretty average president. I think the Republicans were too unwilling to work with him in Congress, and so that will likely affect how history remembers him. I don't think he was as good of a president as Bill Clinton though.

I can agree with that "republicans were too unwilling to work with him in Congress". I think both parties are usually unwilling to work with someone that is of a different party/different agenda.

I can agree with that "republicans were too unwilling to work with him in Congress". I think both parties are usually unwilling to work with someone that is of a different party/different agenda.

One reason I thought Bill Clinton's administration went better was because a Democratic president and a Republican Congress were able to work together well. We just haven't seen in the same cohesion in recent years.

I think he's just been a pretty average president. I think the Republicans were too unwilling to work with him in Congress, and so that will likely affect how history remembers him. I don't think he was as good of a president as Bill Clinton though.

I think Obama was above-average. The country was in a better spot after Clinton than Obama, but I think Clinton had a better starting point to work with. Part of Obama's legacy will be that he undid bad stuff like DOMA and Don't Ask Don't Tell which Bill Clinton signed into law.

He was a fine President, I think he is a nice man and I agreed with many things he had done for the United States, however I have disagreed with a variety of things he had done but they don't affect me so I won't go down on him for it. He supports the LGBT+ Community and is in favour of people being married to the same sex which is very sweet and he is in every way better than George W Bush (although that it isn't hard to surpass him, a discarded tissue could do a better job than Bush.)

He is in no way the worst President, that title goes to Bush Jr.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Obama is the worst president. He ignored the 10th amendment just to pass stuff like his bathroom policy and his healthcare plan, his healthcare policy was one of the worst ideas ever invented (along with communism and political correctness), and he done several other things like the illegal prison swap in 2014 that is bad for America. I also don't like his handling in the Ferguson case. And it's not just Obama that was the worst president. This generation of Americans is the worst generation ever, at least politically. They not just supported Obama despite all of the bad things he done, but they also done other things Obama didn't do that are horrible.

In my personal opinion, speaking as a Briton, you guys don't know how lucky you were.

there were some things he did that i agreed with, and others i disagreed with. i'm not big into politics at all so i can't really go into much detail, nor can i really give a valid opinion on what i believe should've been done, but i don't think he was our worst president by any means.

however, outside of his political decisions, i have a great deal of respect for how obama acts towards other people and how he carries himself as a whole. even when he's directly harassed, booed, or anything similar, he treats everyone fairly & gives them a chance to speak their mind. i think that's really important, and i only wish the same could be said of our next president.

In my opinion, Obama is the worst president. He ignored the 10th amendment just to pass stuff like his bathroom policy and his healthcare plan, his healthcare policy was one of the worst ideas ever invented (along with communism and political correctness), and he done several other things like the illegal prison swap in 2014 that is bad for America. I also don't like his handling in the Ferguson case. And it's not just Obama that was the worst president. This generation of Americans is the worst generation ever, at least politically. They not just supported Obama despite all of the bad things he done, but they also done other things Obama didn't do that are horrible.

He also increased the racial divide and had 1% GDP growth.

this alternate reality would make a good book

he was alright, didn't push as forcefully as i wanted him to to trample out the ridiculous republican resistance crying about issues they want to control, but don't have the right to. but he lived in reality and that's more than i could say about many of his um "critics."

hes a muslim he wasnt born in hawaii and he hates america:/

Considering the mess he walked into when he first took office I think he did very well. I may have not agreed with everything he did, but I can say that I am impressed with him. He has preserved over 265 million acres of land more than any other president (this is also not including the two new national monuments) which I think is more than amazing. He has also deported more illegal immigrants than any other president in history (over 2.5 million from 2009 to 2015). His administration has also opened more than 20 civil rights investigations into local police departments for either the departments racist actions or for their brutality cases which I applaud him for (unfortunately with Jeff Sessions history he probably won?t push for civil rights investigations, which is a shame). Also, the amount of racism he and his family personally had to endure over these years from other politicians and from the American people is insane, however this man handled himself with class and dignity at every turn and I respect him for it. He won?t go down in history as the best president ever but he did better than the past few presidents we have had.

I think he was an amazing president. I'm not American, but his presidency made me hopeful that things were going in the right direction. By Canadian political standards I would call him quite moderate, which is where I am on the political spectrum so I agreed with most of his policies. I'm deeply saddened that so many Americans chose hatred and ignorance moving forward, but I think it will show more progressive people the dangers of political apathy.

the way the poll choices are written, I can't really say Obama was a better President than Clinton, so i marked him as average. He was obviously better though than George W. Bush (who was an idiot in every way). Obama seemed far more honest than most politicians, which is a plus, although it doesn't accomplish anything. He did better than I expected during his first term-- many of his bailout measures were unpopular and perhaps even unfair, but they worked and it's quite convenient how many have forgotten how close this country-- indeed all of the West-- came to falling into utter enduring Great Depression-type economic despair under the ruinous policies of the Republicans. If the history book writers one day smile on Obama for anything, it will be for guiding the country out of the 2d worst recession in its history.

Two of his unpopular, or at least loudly criticized, efforts-- universal healthcare, and pulling troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan, were cornerstones of his campaign, so you really can't act surprised that he pursued them. Healthcare insurance could have worked if it weren't sabotaged by the Republicans. In an ingenious bit of chicanery, they are the ones who insisted on penalties for those not obtaining coverage and then turned around and used those penalties as the primary means of making constitutional attacks on the affordable healthcare laws. The Affordable healthcare act concept also relies upon a logical but naive assumption: that state governors would want to help their own citizens. Wrong! Corrupt GOP governors like Florida's Rick Scott, who came from Texas and made his fortune running healthcare companies that defrauded Medicare, were especially opposed to anything that might help their own citizens if the idea came from federal government or if it might hurt their profiteering cronies in the medical billing industry.

So, I cant really say Obama accomplished anything great, although that mostly was not his fault. It is clear that any idea no matter how great from the executive branch was going to be vigorously opposed and shot down by the GOP majority merely because it came from a Democrat in the executive branch. I do think however, in hindsight people will have greater appreciation for the fact that Obama got the economy away from the cliff it was heading towards when he took office.

I'll just say that it's been hugely significant to me that the President of the United States has been a staunch ally and advocate for the basic dignity and equality of LGBT people over the last 8 years. The Matt Shepard Hate Crimes Act, the fall of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, the President's support of full marriage equality and his refusal to defend the so-called "Defense of Marriage Act", the President's inclusive messaging - including at multiple State of the Union addresses - and so much more... those were formative moments for me and for a lot of people. I am so proud to call him my President. I will miss having an honorable man serving in the White House. President Obama is truly a class act and I think history will ultimately look on him very favorably.

I dont think he did too much but he didnt ruin anything either. I think he kept America in one piece which is good for a change.

I'd say Obama was above average. I thought it was good that he supported thing as health care, abortion, lgbt rights etc. Didn't agree with everything he said but I think I disagreed more with other presidents of America.

Back