Does anybody here attend live music shows/festivals?

verb1999

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
When I was in high school, a couple friends and I decided to check out some rock bands that were touring. Marilyn Manson & Rob Zombie. I had a real fun time at these shows and everything, but nothing could prepare me for what was in store when I first saw the band Slipknot. Oh...my...God. It was life changing, because since that show, I have been totally addicted to live rock n roll music. Everything from heavy metal, to punk rock, and many other spin-off sub-genres of modern rock. I could type for days about specific bands or shows or festivals I've been to, or experiences I've had at them. I'm sure I will later in the thread if there's much participation.

It's also pretty weird because I'm incredibly socially awkward. I'm not one for crowds of people, but I love these gatherings. Isn't it ironic? The only other place than my house that I feel at home is in a rock n roll crowd.

Does anybody else share in any experiences like this? Or like going out and seeing live music of any kind?

now a days mainly local experimental music shows, electronic/triphop. My workplace/studio is also a music venue so I pretty much see something new every week. I'm not a big festival person though

Last edited:
I love dancing in crowds! Jumping up and down with a whole group of people all doing the same thing is one of my favorite feelings. I love doing it.

I've got pretty eclectic tastes as I enjoy musical theater, symphony orchestras, touring rock bands, and EDM festivals equally. :p Was at Decadence Colorado for NYE, it was as insane as I thought it'd be. Was thinking about doing Electric Forest this summer but I'll probably be bicycle touring around that time of the year. Glad to hear you had a good time, festivals are great for socially awkward people as it has a non-judgemental environment where everyone is out having a good time. Crowds usually make me tired after awhile but I'll make an exception for the sake of a memorable experience. Check out the band Streetlight Manifesto if they're ever in your area, seen many, many shows and they put on the best live act I've ever seen.

Never been to a festival because they're quite costly and never have enough artists that I'm interested in to feel worth the cost - especially because the artists I'm interested in are usually not on the same day and so I'd have to pay more.

I've been to quite a lot of concerts though, of a wide variety of genres. When I lived in Japan I averaged going to 2 concerts a month and always had a stack of tickets sitting around the house for upcoming shows. Probably the most exciting show I've ever been to was Babymetal's Budokan concert. I went both days and it was amazing. I've seen them in concert several times, but Budokan was the most fun experience.

I've been going to this one music festival in Montreal called Osheaga for the past few years. It's really fun because there's quite a few stages so there's usually at least one band you've heard up playing almost all the time, and even if there isn't it's a fun way to discover new bands!

I never had gone to concerts or anything like that because A) they're really expensive and B) I'm bad in crowds, but a couple of years ago I went to a concert to see my favorite artist. It was amazing. I went alone, but somehow ended up making buddies with a couple of people in the crowd, the music was amazing, all the acts were amazing, and afterwards I got to actually got to meet him. It was honestly the best experience of my life to get to talk to him. It was sort of embarrassing but- he saw me getting flustered while talking and stopped me to give me a big hug. I get excited even talking about it.

Honestly though, I don't really have this big urgency to go out to see anyone else. I don't think I can stand crowds that big for someone I'm not really dedicated to seeing.

Last edited:
Awesome replies so far. I do agree that some shows, and especially festivals, can get to be pretty costly. You know what helps me afford everything I go to? I'm not married, and don't have kids. Therefore, every penny I make is expendable. If I was supporting a family, I'd never be able to go on half the adventures I go on.

I am trying to work out driving from Minneapolis to Chicago this weekend to see a killer metal band called August Burns Red. Then see them the next night in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and then the next night again back in Minneapolis. A quick 3 day trip, 3 great shows, that's how I love spending my time the most. Other than playing New Leaf and my 3DS of course ;) lol

I've met a couple band members of the bands I'm really familiar with, and it's always pretty awkward. I think the fans they enjoy meeting the least are the members of the same sex who are around the same age as they are. lol That's the impression I get anyways. Putting myself in their shoes, I guess I can kinda understand. Having one of my male peers coming up to me telling me they've been following me for a couple cities across the country, how would I respond to that? I don't know. It might be pretty weird. lol

I've never heard Streetlight Manifesto (yet), but I do love DJStarstryker's mention of BABYMETAL! Wow, seeing them in Japan would be awesome! The only place I've had the chance to see them was at the Chicago Open Air festival last summer, and they tore it up! And that was just a little side-stage show, I would love to see them on a bigger stage with their full production. The crowd was rowdy, big mosh pit, and the BABYMETAL babes on stage going "CIRCA PIT! MAKE IT BIGGA! BIGGA!"

I love dancing in crowds! Jumping up and down with a whole group of people all doing the same thing is one of my favorite feelings. I love doing it.

YES! Me, too! lol

I've never been to a festival (I'd want to in the future) but I've been to a lot of concerts, I really enjoy them.

I'm hopefully attending my first music festival this year, which is a rock festival! But I've been attending live shows for about a year now and it's one of my favourite things to do ^^ I totally get it, I'm not a highly sociable person but I do love the feeling of being in a crowd of people at a music show (plus you don't have to talk to anyone).

hopefully i can find friends that wanna go to acl this year but we'll see haha

I'm hopefully attending my first music festival this year, which is a rock festival! But I've been attending live shows for about a year now and it's one of my favourite things to do ^^ I totally get it, I'm not a highly sociable person but I do love the feeling of being in a crowd of people at a music show (plus you don't have to talk to anyone).

What festival are you thinking of going to? Anything specific or just a festival in general?

I've been to a few metal concerts and rock concerts, which I thought were really fun. I loved the energy in there c: (and the music, ofcourse). And I'm going to green day this month!
I don't really like festivals, tho.

Yup! I love festivals and concerts, I attended my first festival last year and I went to Download, it's a rock based festival, the tree headliners last year were, Black Sabbath, Rammstein and Iron Maiden. I'm definitely saving up for this year to see System of a Down headlining and several others, so excited~ :D

I'm definitely saving up for this year to see System of a Down headlining and several others, so excited~ :D

Saw them on their first tour in over 10 years at the Forum, it was AMAZING. Insane setlist, played a bunch of songs they haven't played in forever and for well over 2 hours. Wish they would produce new material, they sure as hell still got it. Look forward to it, was one of my highlights of 2015.

Last edited:
Yup! I love festivals and concerts, I attended my first festival last year and I went to Download, it's a rock based festival, the tree headliners last year were, Black Sabbath, Rammstein and Iron Maiden. I'm definitely saving up for this year to see System of a Down headlining and several others, so excited~ :D

Lucky!! Europe gets some of the greatest/biggest festivals... I see so many bands that I listen to go to Download. Maybe one year I will travel there. From the YouTube videos it looks like a giant sea of people...but I can make my way to the front ;) Or close enough anyways.

I saw Rammstein at Chicago Open Air last year, and wow. It was my 2nd time seeing them, and both sets were mind blowing. They gotta be the best stage show/stage production out there now. That I've seen anyways. I also saw Black Sabbath at the Ozzfest/Knotfest weekend festival in Los Angeles a few months ago in September. They were less thrilling, but definitely cool to see Ozzy while we can.

System Of A Down. I've been lucky enough to see them a couple times, and I'm pretty jealous of all the places they're booking right now. None in the U.S. Another band I highly recommend seeing live if you can. They should be releasing some new music this year, also.

And Green Day puts on a good show, too! :)

i only started going to concerts in 2015. my first concert was fifth harmony, and after that i fell in love with the concert life. after that i saw imagine dragons who changed my life that night, and the opening acts (halsey and metric) were absolutely mind blowing. then i saw my queens fifth harmony again, and that was my favorite concert that i've gone to yet because we had close seats and it was just so amazing to be there with them, and every opening act was incredible (bea miller, debby ryan, natalie la rose). after that i went to see taylor swift as my birthday present, and lemme tell u.... i was never the same after i went to that concert my dude. honestly, i was not the same human being. it was one of the best concerts anyone could ever go to in my opinion. then after that, i went to jingle ball which blew my mind away.

and well, in 2016 i didn't go to many concerts. only jingle ball again. i would like to someday see halsey, melanie martinez and lana del rey in concert. and i hope that i get to see fifth harmony and imagine dragons again. i'm also hoping that possibly for my graduation we'll go on a small vacation across the state to see bastille! i would DIE, i love them SO much.

That's awesome! Isn't it such a rush, seeing the people who sing or play music, come out on stage?? And suddenly there they are live, doing their thing. Be it just singing, or shredding a guitar, drums, whatever the genre, whatever the case. Just stunning, in certain instances.

I would like to say that I've been let down a few times at rap/hip-hop shows. They tend to be pretty unprofessional and also very unorganized. And it's happened WAY too many times, that a portion of a rap group, or one of the evenings acts, doesn't even show up! They treat their concert like a McDonalds cashier shift, and just plain don't show up. That is unforgivable. And so disappointing when only a portion of the entertainment is there. On top of that, it's so frequent in hip-hop, that the artists only do a portion of the song, before skipping on to the next one. Why would they not do full songs...? But they never do. lol Luckily I don't listen to this kind of music as much as I used to. I'm way more into metal and rock-n-roll now, which is such a different experience live.

- - - Post Merge - - -

That's awesome! Isn't it such a rush, seeing the people who sing or play music, come out on stage?? And suddenly there they are live, doing their thing. Be it just singing, or shredding a guitar, drums, whatever the genre, whatever the case. Just stunning, in certain instances.

I would like to say that I've been let down a few times at rap/hip-hop shows. They tend to be pretty unprofessional and also very unorganized. And it's happened WAY too many times, that a portion of a rap group, or one of the evenings acts, doesn't even show up! They treat their concert like a McDonalds cashier shift, and just plain don't show up. That is unforgivable. And so disappointing when only a portion of the entertainment is there. On top of that, it's so frequent in hip-hop, that the artists only do a portion of the song, before skipping on to the next one. Why would they not do full songs...? But they never do. lol Luckily I don't listen to this kind of music as much as I used to. I'm way more into metal and rock-n-roll now, which is such a different experience live.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Whoops...why did this post twice? Oh well...

Back