• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What Welcome amiibo villagers ping to move out?

Maybe the problem is that each scanned villager counts as 'the latest to move in' for some reason and that's why none will move for some. Because the newest villager will never move out. Has anyone had a scanned villager(s) not move after receiving a new villager from a non-scanned method?

Not me.

I remember reading a review of NL ages ago, and I remember it saying that your villagers won't ever leave you.

I ignored it. Forgot about it, then bought the game at the end of last year.

I bought some amiibo cards because I've had Wolfgang in every game.

Then scanned in 6 more.

After a couple of weeks I noticed none of my scan-ins were pinging to move.
Just my 3 normals.

That turned into a month, and now it's going on 5 months.

That has to prove something.
It CAN'T be a 5 month long coincidence. :(

Medli has never asked to move and she's been in my town since its creation in January. I'm pretty sure the only way to get her to move will be with another amiibo forcing her out. :(

So maybe let one of the normal villagers move out, move a non-scanned villager in, and see if that fixes the issue? If you're really attached to your 3 normal villagers then wait for someone to say if they've continued to have move-out issues after a regular non-scanned villager moved in. But it's the only hypothesis I have, currently. And I think that the rules for the special amiibo villagers and the sanrio ones are different. I don't think they move.

Last edited:
I don't think that Medli being considered the "first move in" is a problem, because multiple villagers have come and gone since January. My most recent move-in ATM is Kevin and he hasn't requested to leave yet either, which is really annoying because it seems like neither of them are able to move, but they're the only 2 who I want to leave! :/

Your most recent villager will never be the one to leave, so Kevin won't ping until someone else moves in. My advice was more for someone like Jon_snow, who's having problems getting their Series1-4 amiibo card villager to move. I think the special amiibo villagers have different rules, so my hypothesis would only apply to the Series1-4 cards, and possibly the WA cards.

So the Series 5 amiibo villagers are potentially able to move out? Is that what could be happening?

I only have experience with Series 1-4 amiibo (well, series 1, really). None of them ever wanted to move out.

This issue has been one that I've wrestled with for a while, and have looked all around for answers on. There is a TON of conflicting evidence from people saying that amiibo villagers can or cannot move.

I'm trying to compile some hypotheses based on my research, but I think the first thing we need to do in order to solve this enigma is to define our terms.

Let's stop referring to the catch-all phrase "amiibo villager," as that can encompass four seperate categories:
- Sanrio villagers
- LOZ/Splatoon "amiibo figure" villagers
- Series 1-4 amiibo card villagers
- Series 5 amiibo card villagers

I propose we refer to them as sanrio, figure villagers, 1-4 villagers, and 5 villagers to keep everything clear. Furthermore, let's refer to the villagers not scanned in by amiibo as "normal" or "natural" villagers.

This is important, because the rules for "figure" villagers moving can (and probably are) much different than series 1-4. And I would guesstimate that most of the angst on this forum is about the 1-4s.

Having said all of that, from my research, the only things I can definitively say about the amiibo moving situation right now are as follows:
- A village of 10 series 1-4 villagers will result in normal moving pings.
- A normal village will result in normal moving pings, obviously.
- A village of mixed series 1-4, figure, AND normal/natural villagers will result in the natural villagers pinging you more often, and the series 1-4s and figures rarely, if ever, pinging to move.

The question is, is there definitive proof that the 1-4s and the figures can NOT EVER move out naturally? It's nearly impossible to prove a negative, but if we gather enough data we can construct a reasonable assumption. So far, both my series 1-4 villagers and my one figure villager have not asked me to move.

Last edited:
So maybe let one of the normal villagers move out, move a non-scanned villager in, and see if that fixes the issue? If you're really attached to your 3 normal villagers then wait for someone to say if they've continued to have move-out issues after a regular non-scanned villager moved in. But it's the only hypothesis I have, currently. And I think that the rules for the special amiibo villagers and the sanrio ones are different. I don't think they move.

I can't afford to lose one of my only 3 normals.

It shouldn't even be a problem.
Nintendo have deliberately sabotaged us!

- - - Post Merge - - -

- A village of 10 series 1-4 villagers will result in normal moving pings.
- A normal village will result in normal moving pings, obviously.
- A village of mixed series 1-4, figure, AND normal/natural villagers will result in the natural villagers pinging you more often, and the series 1-4s and figures rarely, if ever, pinging to move.

And when one moves, you need to scan in yet another amiibo, to make it ten again, so another will move.

It's catch 22.

Last edited:
Ok, just talked with a friend of mine. We both know for a fact he, himself, personally scanned in Rocket's amiibo card. She's been living in his town for a couple months now, and according to him, she has pinged him to move several times.

So what this incredible sample size of 1 tells me (being facetious if you can't tell) is that series 1-4 amiibo CAN NATURALLY MOVE. But it's a very difficult and rare occurrence, and the factors for producing a series 1-4 moving ping are currently unknown.

From now on, any new reports of "oh yeah, a figure/series 1-4 villager asked me to move" should be accompanied with definitive, pictorial proof for us to take the claim seriously. Let's try to keep it as scientific as possible. Try to show us in some pictures that you indeed have the card, you did scan that villager in, and then screenshots of the moving conversation. It would also be helpful if you could detail in your report what you did to produce the ping, how you have treated the villager, etc.

I realize that it's basically guaranteed no one has video or pictorial proof of their scanning in a villager now (because that'd be rather strange), so we should try to organize and conduct an experiment.

My official hypothesis, then is this: Series 1-4 and figure amiibos have a much lower move ping rate than "natural" villagers. If we find a few instances of this hypothesis being true, then we've disproven that it's flat-out impossible.

Last edited:
How is it that my 3 non scans have been the only ones to ping in 5 months?
They ping in order, week in week out.

I don't believe scans ever move.
5 months is a long time!

OK, I am committing to paying attention to my only scanned villager. It is Felyne, so he is in the figure villager category. Tbh, he may have already told me he was moving. I don't pay that much attention, generally. I always tell them all I don't want them to, because I'm happy with them all. So, I will take screenshots, too.

I can also pay attention to my grandsons game. He has Jacob scanned from a card, and Felyne from a figure. He doesn't play very often, so frequently has villagers coming and going. :rolleyes: What series is Jacob from?

Nenya, I scanned Jakey too.
In AU that's his name. ^_^

Hi, Jon! Thanks, I wondered where he got Jakey. I saw that was one of his other names. It's cuter than Jacob! He's cute, too! We got his card when we bought an NFC reader/writer, I think. Is he in one of the series?

I didn't know about the Jacob name until I did a search for how he likes his coffee at The Roost. LoL :D

Coincidentally I just found this:

tumblr_inline_ojac59ZEFH1rtgjkn_400.jpg

Coincidentally I just found this:

View attachment 200618

Ok. Good.

That's a special amiibo figure that pinged to move.
I have that figure.

We need series 1 - 4, and 5, pings to move confirmed.
Not traded amiibo's. Ones you scanned in yourself with Wisp.

Here's my scans.

Jakey series 5.

Wolfgang, Leonardo, Sterling, Angus, Mathilda and Sylvia, all 1 to 4?

Last edited:
Wow... Okay, this is quite a peculiar phenomenon - particularly where one person tested 100 days of time travel and never had the villagers move out, but other people confirming they've asked to move out in only a week...

...Well, with that observation, this tells me one big thing: There may be some kind of unknown requirement to making them move!

I can't say exactly what it is (it's unknown), but after looking at the time traveling technique I saw in these forums, it looks like ignoring them and passing time makes them stay around. Simply put, doing nothing with them doesn't satisfy the requirement for them to move.

For those who had pings for them to move out... How exactly do you interact with the amiibo villagers compared to non-amiibo ones? This could help solve the issue at hand.

You're so on the money. If someone was able to have a villager move out, with the same conditions, then there must be another factor in the mix. I do believe it's possible since multiple people have successfully moved Amiibo card villagers out but some requirement must be met, like you hypothesized. I think someone needs test with more than 100 days as well. This was even before the Welcome Amiibo update: I was doing a 16 villager cycle and I got stuck on Jambette. It took me 6+ months of cycling for her to move out. I'm prone to terrible luck though.

Last edited:
Back