• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you think global warming is legit?

Yes, climate change is real and unfortunately we're not going to do anything substantial enough to stop it. Even the Paris Agreement is thought to be insufficient, and with the imminent gutting of the EPA the US is going in the opposite direction of where it should be.

Although global warming is actually an accurate term, it is unfortunate that it is the term that people were introduced to first. People see "global warming" and think "It snowed a lot here today! Hoax!" They hear about a 1 or 2 degree increase in global temperature and don't think anything of it because they see their local temperatures fluctuate all the time. Many have no concept of positive feedback loops and how one action can lead to a chain reaction.

As for "bullying" people who deny its existence, when you see a looming threat to the continued existence of our and numerous other species it is difficult not to get frustrated. Plus, I'm sure their wounded fee-fees will hurt a lot more than the hunger pangs people will feel when we can't adequately grow crops for our population size or the anguish of having to leave the only home you've ever known because the sea level rise is destroying it.

Global warming is a perfect example of something people are aware happens, but don't want to admit to themselves anyway (because it means doing things, and people would rather have fat politicians do it instead).

Global warming is a perfect example of something people are aware happens, but don't want to admit to themselves anyway (because it means doing things, and people would rather have fat politicians do it instead).

While everyone needs to make some personal sacrifices to help slow down climate change, the "you can make a difference" slogan is BS. People switching to energy efficient light-bulbs won't make much of a dent. There needs to be widespread collective action with real incentives and penalties to reduce carbon emissions.

well, if it's just a theory, then i suppose other things that have been proven by science are also theories. so now, gravity doesn't exist, and we are somehow keeping ourselves on earth with magic.

Come on, we all know that the great earth goddess keeps us from flying into space with giant magnets attached to her roots. If you think I'm ignorant for believing this equally valid theory then you're a BIGOT!

Uh-huh. its a natural process over 10,000 years but us idiots and our need to destroy things and disrespect other living things on this earth sped it up to about 100 years.

The Ice Age era was the only real "major" climate change. All of this talk is just talk. Why do you think so many people don't think it's legit? You can't classify all "non-believers" stupid, ignorant, or blindsided. I'm sure they're are a good majority that are more intelligent than all of us.

Last edited:
The Ice Age era was the only real "major" climate change. All of this talk is just talk. Why do you think so many people don't think it's legit? You can't classify all "non-believers" stupid, ignorant, or blindsided. I'm sure they're are a good majority that are more intelligent than all of us.

"The" ice age era. There isn't one ice age era. There have been multiple and within an ice age era multiple climate changes happen because you have both glacial ("cold") periods and interglacial ("warm") periods. Your statement is just incorrect.

Also, global warming is the first human-indicated climate change we know of, because we started using so many greenhouse gasses. Obviously the effects are different now because they have a different cause. Also our climate is STILL changing, do you think an ice age happened over night? People saying our climate doesn't change are apparently unable to read statistics. I don't really like the whole "your facts aren't my facts" attitude Some people have, especially when discussing science. Facts are facts. You can go and deny them but then don't be mad when people consider it ignorant.
I don't classify everyone being critical of what global warming is as unintelligent. We don't know everything about global warming and we need people who are willing to come closer to the solution and figuring out the problem WITH FACTS. Denying that our climate is, in fact, changing is not going to contribute to that...

For the Earth's climate to change drastically, it would take a long time. Global warming is a statistic from Barack's administration and Al Gore to benefit themselves.

At least twice as much spent on environmental causes than securing our border. That's an excessive amount.

I'm baffled that some people still think global warming is a hoax? I mean I understand that they're probably in denial because it's a scary thought, but I swear nothing is going to happen if we keep denying or turning our backs against the situation. I studied ecology in my majors last semester and it just opened up my eyes to how much people are destroying our environment and then trying to ignore the problem like it's just a hoax or something so they can continue to wreck our planet. It annoys me to great extents. Some ways we can prevent further damage is to stop burning or using chemicals that emit carbon and plant more trees that can absorb carbon dioxide (oh my god stop cutting trees for industrialization, stop building infrastructures that can we can live without or that we can place elsewhere). It's a worldwide effort, but if we just stopped turning our backs on the problem or blaming the government for "false information" then maybe we can actually lessen global warming and care for the earth that's been housing us.

Yes. The Earth is raising it's temperatures because we're oh so bad. Factories create jobs, jobs create an economy, economy sustains a society.

Liberals blame factories, factories close, jobs are lost, economy is not sustained.

Yes. The Earth is raising it's temperatures because we're oh so bad. Factories create jobs, jobs create an economy, economy sustains a society.

Liberals blame factories, factories close, jobs are lost, economy is not sustained.

There's no point sustaining a society or a successful economy if the earth dies sooner.
I'm just saying there's most likely another way around this without fully destroying our planet. There are needless constructions such as entertainment parks that are being built in replace of a large part of our environment.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also I'm saying this as an environmentalist. Where did you pick up "liberals"?

Liberals engaged first in this "global warming" as a self-beneficiary move and their political agenda.

The Earth won't die for a looooooooooooooonggggggggg time. lmao...

Gloal temperatures rising is something that it's actually happening. There's enough evidence to say it's going to happen even without us screwing things up. However we are actually speeding it up. But hey, there isn't a point to argue with people that don't believe in it. They probably also think the earth is flat anyways.

You could make the "earth flat" for anything. Oh, liberals think that global warming is real so they must think the earth is flat.

I didn't know we have the technology to trace back weather conditions hundreds, thousands of years ago to easily say that global warming is real.

In 2014, there was record ice.
In 2014, there was record snow.
In 2014, polar bears and moose were increasing in population.

Don't tell me that polar bears and moose are adapting because adaptation, as we learn in grade school my purple penguin, takes a long time,

Last edited:
You could make the "earth flat" for anything. Oh, liberals think that global warming is real so they must think the earth is flat.

I didn't know we have the technology to trace back weather conditions hundreds, thousands of years ago to easily say that global warming is real.

In 2014, there was record ice.
In 2014, there was record snow.
In 2014, polar bears and moose were increasing in population.

Don't tell me that polar bears and moose are adapting because adaptation, as we learn in grade school my purple penguin, takes a long time,

Evolution is slow. Adaptation is a bit faster. Coral reefs in danger due to sea temperatures rising and changing pH and all of the Xiphosura found dead lately and not migrating to mate are also things that happened lately. Global warming doesnt just affect moose and polar bears.

Coral reefs are not in trouble because of the hoax called global warming.

Overfishing, too much recreational use would be more reasonable.

Coral reefs are not in trouble because of the hoax called global warming.

Overfishing, too much recreational use would be more reasonable.

Liberals engaged first in this "global warming" as a self-beneficiary move and their political agenda.

The Earth won't die for a looooooooooooooonggggggggg time. lmao...

You didn't think I meant literally die, right? I'm assuming you knew I didn't mean the earth dying by blowing up into smithereens, but by the environment slowly being depleted and us ultimately using up the whole environment and leaving none left for the next generation to appreciate or use (to an extent).
Actually, I think we can just agree to disagree; I don't think we're coming to a conclusion here. I can sense you're mocking us or being sarcastic; I'm not sure. I'm not trying to be mean though, I just really wanted to educate someone, but I can't force my opinions on you in the end. It's up to you to reflect on your beliefs and decisions.

Gloal temperatures rising is something that it's actually happening. There's enough evidence to say it's going to happen even without us screwing things up. However we are actually speeding it up. But hey, there isn't a point to argue with people that don't believe in it. They probably also think the earth is flat anyways.

Yup, global warming is inevitable, but we're contributing so much to it that it's hurting our ozone layer more than it can heal.
And just a side comment: I had an Earth Science teacher once that tried to convince us students that the earth was flat. I mean, he didn't believe it himself but me and my classmates were like 12 or 13 at that time so he thought it would be funny trying to get us to believe the world is flat, and he was pretty good at convincing us whenever we rebutted him. He did correct himself in the end though, so no harm intended.

--

I remember this very good and short video about global warming here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRLJscAlk1M. I'm pretty sure some have seen this though; it's a good watch that may tap into your inner biophilia. I cried, too.

Last edited:
Back