• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

mocha.

semi-hiatus
Bells
Blue Balloon
Flower Glow Wand
Blue Crescent Moon
Green Crescent Moon
Enchanted Butterfly Glow Wand
Glowing Butterfly Spirit
Lily of the Valley
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Blue Star Fragment
so since the update we have been able to place paths down and villagers won't move on top of them.. HOWEVER, I'm beginning to notice now after triple checking my town layout was right and making sure I had enough space for villagers to move in where I want them, that they aren't moving there! Hamlet moved right on top of where I placed my path? Has something changed/been updated? This also happened the other day but I blamed myself for not laying the paths correctly, that's when I went around town and made sure they were perfect.

Are you sure you're leaving enough space between other houses and PWPs when plotting for your villagers? To the best of my knowledge, they still won't go on top of paths unless given no other choice. To ensure the space you want them to move into is proper, try to place a fountain PWP into the 3x3 space. If Isabelle lets you, then a villagers house could also go there for the most part.

So I was told that with the inital welcome amiibo update they made it so they couldn't move on paths, but I guess with this most recent patch it fixed that to where they can move anywhere again... -_- I canvased my whole town in paths and left several 3X3 plots for villagers open, but Peanut plotted on a path. =[ So I think after this update they disabled that from happening.

So I was told that with the inital welcome amiibo update they made it so they couldn't move on paths, but I guess with this most recent patch it fixed that to where they can move anywhere again... -_- I canvased my whole town in paths and left several 3X3 plots for villagers open, but Peanut plotted on a path. =[ So I think after this update they disabled that from happening.

Which update are you talking about? Do you mean Ver. 1.5? I wasn't aware there was another one after that -_-

Darn. I wish I hadn't gotton that second update. I was so happy that they wouldn't move on paths. This messes up some of my plans in my Farm town.

no way :/ and here I thought they were actually listening to us! I've had to plot reset to get him into a better place, still not where I want him but what can you do! So frustrating, we've spent so long putting our paths down!

I have Ver. 1.5 and have have plotted Erik successfully by only leaving a 3x3 space in my town. He moved into it, no problem. I believe that you are mistaken and villagers still do not destroy paths. In my opinion, the problem must be that you are somehow not following the proper space requirement, whether it is too close to the event plaza, another building, to the river, etc. Unless there was an update after Ver. 1.5, then there has been no change. It would be helpful to see where you have been trying to plot the villager's house, then I can determine the issue if you want? Unless you are sure that somehow your game works differently now..

i will attach two pictures of where hamlet moved, you can see clearly on the photo the paths are laid down so he shouldn't be able to move on top of them

WVW69j90-m4l0a5ZwK.jpg
WVW69j91A7AGcf0OgQ.jpg

Last edited:
Where are you trying to place his house though? If there is no proper available space, villagers will just move anywhere, including on top of paths. Even if there is a 3x3 spot, if it does not meet the space requirements for a villager house, it won't move in there. To be absolutely safe, I put paths everywhere except for the exact 3x3 spot. So it's more important to show the space where you want his house to go, just to see if you've made an error somehow.

Where are you trying to place his house though? If there is no proper available space, villagers will just move anywhere, including on top of paths. Even if there is a 3x3 spot, if it does not meet the space requirements for a villager house, it won't move in there. To be absolutely safe, I put paths everywhere except for the exact 3x3 spot. So it's more important to show the space where you want his house to go, just to see if you've made an error somehow.

yep i understand that, i had space marked out for him to move into - i even made sure it was slightly bigger just because i was so cautious about him not being able to move into the spot. there were 2 block spaces from the house infront and i left more space at the back just incase that wasn't enough room. i've attached another picture below so you can have a look! thank you

WVW69j91KPovyIs6R1.jpg

I have the version 1.5 update and like what Arize said, villagers still won't move on top of paths if you make a proper 3x3 space for them :) I also recommend to place paths everywhere except for the area where you want the villager to move in to be safe. That's what I always do and I haven't encounter any problems. If you want, you can use the new save file (plot reset) before loading your mayor. If something happens, you can move back to the previous day and fix the paths again then forward.

Last edited:
I see your problem. A villager house needs 3 free spaces in front to be able to move in, not just two. ^_^ Try that, and hopefully it fixes your problem!

- - - Post Merge - - -

If it isn't the problem, I can try to come over to see the exact layout and try to determine what is going wrong because like Role confirmed, villagers still will not move over paths unless there is no proper available space. Let me know if you'd like me to do that, because it is hard to really tell from pictures.

I see your problem. A villager house needs 3 free spaces in front to be able to move in, not just two. ^_^ Try that, and hopefully it fixes your problem!

ahhh i see! how many spaces do they need at the sides? i'll give that a shot and re-organise my space. thank you!

Between houses, they need 2 free spaces. With PWPs, I believe that number could change, depending on the PWP (I'm not sure). Beside a river, cliff, or pond, they need 1 free space. If they are facing a cliff or river, they will need 2 free spaces in front. Good luck!

They can still move on to paths, even if you leave enough room. There's some spots in my town that I've found villagers just won't move on to. I left more than enough space for Claude and he still moved in my paths, I had no problems before that.
I haven't figured out what the problem was, there was a house in the same section next to where Claude should have been able to plot but it just wouldn't work

LinkToTheWorld, I think it might have something to do with acres? Your town map is divided into mini invisible acres and apparently only a certain amount of villagers can move in there. If the acre is full, they won't move in. I'm sure you can find a map showing this somewhere on the internet. I promise, I covered every single space in my town except for a 3x3 (and a space in front of the door) and Erik moved into it without fail. Villagers will not destroy paths unless there is something preventing them from moving into the allotted space. In your case, if you're sure you left the proper space requirements, then it might have to do with having a crowded acre. Or you were too close to the event plaza.

It wasn't near the plaza and only one other villager was in that part of the map, Claude should have been able to move in the space next to him but I just couldn't make it work. Still haven't figured out what the problem was so I ended up placing the other side of Toby and it was fine

It wasn't near the plaza and only one other villager was in that part of the map, Claude should have been able to move in the space next to him but I just couldn't make it work. Still haven't figured out what the problem was so I ended up placing the other side of Toby and it was fine

Hmm, that's too bad :( I won't be able to tell what the problem was since I can't see the layout, but hopefully you're happy where Toby ended up.

Yeah I don't understand why Peanut plotted on paths either, I had three different 3X3 plots set up and she didn't move into any of them.

Well if anyone wants me to double check their plots, I'd be happy to. I'm not an expert but I've been obsessing over plotting my villagers' houses and I know the rules pretty well, so if I can help, I will. ^_^ Also, a way to just check, is to try to build a fountain where you want the house to be. Most of the time, the fountain will follow the same rules as a villager house. There are some requirements that differ though, since a fountain doesn't have a door and a dead space in front. It is still a good indicator though!

Back