Do you consider time traveling cheating?

Many do, I don't. The creators made it so simple to do, I feel like that was intentional, giving the player the option whether or not to speed up their game.

nah i dont really think cheating is a thing in animal crossding. therea re just different ways to play the game lmao

I personally don't like to time travel, I prefer to play the game without it. However, I don't think it's cheating at all, or else the creators wouldn't have allowed that function to begin with. If I ever go too long without playing, I time travel to catch up. Also, my sister will time travel within the day because she prefers to play in the middle of the day.
Plus, people use time travel to cycle villagers and get seasonal bugs and fish, time traveling doesn't count as cheating, in my opinion.

I mean... I feel like it got more backlash and was more frowned upon back when the game was new. I remember *childishly!* feeling kind of jealous of time travelers getting all the attention for their towns back in like June 2013, because they were able to make such quick progress compared to those of us who weren't TTing. I admit it was just a silly feeling of jealousy back then, and not a condemnation of the act of TTing, though! But now, the game's been out for years, and everyone's at different points in their towns. Some have started over once or multiple times, others have been playing from the beginning but have taken breaks, others have been playing obsessively the whole time, etc. There's no set "point" that someone *should* be at right this second that makes people who TT ahead have an advantage.

But whether or not you consider it cheating depends on your definition of cheating, and if so, it's certainly cheating-lite, considering it's even an option through Isabelle, and a rumor in the game: "I heard ___'s a time-traveller!" Duping & hacking are probably seen more as cheating these days.

Also, in my case, I use TTing to slow time down rather than speed it up usually xP I keep my town on the same date often because I'm busy pixeling a path or working on arranging flowers or something, it helps me focus on the task at hand rather than worrying about villagers moving or looking for fossils or whatever. I've put 2000+ hours into my game, and still don't have a full-sized tree yet, because I've used TTing to slow time down too much -- tell me how that's cheating :p

tbh i time travel but i still feel guilty doing it lol.

i feel like most people have feel a negative vibe when they see "cheating" and i can see why, people shame on cheaters, but if you need time TT to go back because you missed a day or because you need to go into the future because you know you can't play tomorrow, that seems fine, but that's still cheating. if you really want to be dedicated to your town, then play everday, don't miss a day. - that seems a little harsh but that's the truth.

some people said you can't cheat in a game where theres no win or lose but if i get a perfect town in 2 weeks because i TT'd and my sister who doesn't even know how to TT gets her perfect town after a few months, that seems a little unfair. i do realize that there is no real objective to animal crossing, it's up to the player to play how they want.

there are games that punish you for time travelling, yo-kai watch sends you an evil lil guy that yells at you for changing the clock on your 3ds system, but animal crossing doesn't. animal crossing punishes you for not saving but not for time travelling, but does that make it okay? in my opinion, it doesn't. if i get away with cheating on a test and i never get in trouble and punishes, does that mean that it was okay to cheat on that test?

most people on this forum do TT, i do as well, and it's not a bad thing to do at all, but it can be a little cheat-y

i tt all the time to do things that are useful to me and things that will stop making me bored in one day if i have nothing to do
not really cheating since i dont tt to certain events but i get to do things faster than others, but still not cheating since its a way to play

Last edited:
Of course it's not cheating, it's a game mechanic the developers purposely added. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Mm, I don't really feel like it's cheating but, I don't do it personally.

The most I TT is like, if I need to sell something to Re-Tail and they aren't open.

I personally do not think that time traveling is cheating. Some days I have lots of time to play and others not so much. Tting helps me keep up. Sure people may use tting to get their dream towns faster but that still requires a lot of time. And tting to build your own town is for personal use. It's not like online battling like in Pok?mon.

It's all well and good saying if you want to be dedicated to your town then play everyday...that is a physical impossibility for some people, however dedicated they try to be. And missing days through work/appointments/childcare/hospitals and having to tt to catch up,'doesn't make somebody less dedicated to their town

Nope. It's your own town, and you can do whatever you want.
Some people don't have the patient to play everyday / to unlock something.
People have busy lives as well, and time traveling can help speed up the process that they cannot fulfill.

Like some people want to time travel during winter time because perhaps they miss an event due to busy life, and ect. It doesn't hurt anyone. Soo.. yeah. @_@ time traveling is harmless, worst case is weeds and villagers moving away.

I time traveled couple days back because I missed my birthday event (didn't have my ds when I was on vacation). Haha. But I continue to slowly move forward 1 day to the current date.

No it's not cheating. I don't TT much but I will do if I want to. It's a feature of the game that you can use or not use, whichever you choose.

no lol there's not a lot to do in one day so i don't wanna get bored, and then i just end up traveling

Back