Do you consider time traveling cheating?

Nope. Nein. Nada. I don't consider it cheating since it's a feature in the game (if you do it in New Leaf, the villagers may call you a time traveller). I rarely ever time travel unless I have to set the clock forwards or backwards an hour (which isn't really time travelling) though I used to skip 2 days ahead, save and go 2 days earlier when I was trying to move out Jeremiah before I knew how to hack New Leaf. It also bothers me how people chide on others just because they time travelled. What if they couldn't play on a certain day if they were busy? It's not their fault that they had to time travel. While I'm not a cheater for time travelling, I am a dirty, rotten cheater for hacking the game. lol

Nope. The game gives you the option to change the time. It's not like duping or powersaves ( not that I'm against people for using them). Geeze, my sisters bratty boys used to act so stupid about time traveling. It was cheating, and you were a low down dirty rotton cheater if you time traveled. I once had this brat send me a private message about how vile I was for time traveling. Lol.

No. Especially because Animal Crossing seems to expect you to play at least a little every single day. But you know what? Real life happens. Sometimes you can't play. I rarely TT, but when I do, it's to go back and play days I skipped because of real life and catch up to the current day.

I agree with this. I TT when I miss a villager house visit (I don't like missing those, lol), because sometimes I have to do something suddenly. That's usually the only time I TT. Unless I'm making a new character, and I need to unlock the QR machine which honestly should be unlocked for all characters after it's unlocked by the mayor, but it's whatever. I only TT within the day or the day after. I think TT'ing months ahead a bit much :/

No, of course it's not cheating! There's so many things you can get done quickly by time traveling. Some people don't have the time to play day by day on AC:NL, so time traveling lets them unlock stuff that requires playing every day to achieve (like the QR code sewing machine, pwps, and upgraded shops). Not to mention, with the Amiibo update who wants to bother having one villager per day move in? Not me. I'm time traveling like crazy so Diamond can have all of its dream villagers.

I don't think it's cheating at all. If Nintendo really thought of it as an issue, they probably would have done something about it with the big update, instead of including time travel in their animal scripts! ;)

timetraveler.jpg

ACNL is an open world experience and there is no endgame/win condition. I think the real-time facet of the game is really wonderful and it was one of the big draws for me playing it to begin with. I love how the seasons change, and that first sprinkle of snow is magical. But there is no reason you can't play at whatever speed you want. If you like the compressed experience of time travel, then I don't see the the big deal.

I use time travel sparingly because I do have time to play a little every day, but especially for those people who can't play as often and miss out on all the special holidays, time travel is an essential tool to get the most out of the game.

I consider it cheating for myself only. I don't think it's a problem when others do it because it is a feature in the game after all. For me, it feels wrong to play it that way, at least for my main town, because it just isn't my play style. Everyone is different though, and should just enjoy the game however they want ^_^

It really depends on the players intentions.
Say someone repeatedly travels to gain specific event items and then sell them to others - that I would consider cheating (and tacky). Going back to days you've had to miss is perfectly legitimate in my book, as is setting the clock back or forward a few hours to visit stores etc. Honestly, I think it's reasonable for someone with an 8-5pm schedule not to want to be limited to evening/night time - I'd feel sad rarely seeing my town during the daylight :3

Overall I think everyone should have the freedom to play however they want, as long as it's not harmful to others. My attitude toward hacking is similar ^^

I've never considered it cheating. Especially now that I have no time to thoroughly enjoy the game. A part time job and being a full time student really does limit my free time :c Participating in in-game events can only be done if I time travel.

Well, in my towns I don't like to TT unless I have a specific reason to. Like moving a villager in/out. But I don't consider someone TTing in their town to unlock stuff faster "cheating" at all to be honest. It's their town and they can do whatever they wish to do with it. If it's helping grow their village into what they want it to be I see no problem in that!

you know what else is cheating? Using rom hacks to perfectly place your villagers at the right spot and public works projects, putting plants in rivers. I know it's for aesthetics and all but it's still consider cheating.

I don't think it cheating. I do play my main town a day ahead and sometimes change the clock back an hour or ahead for events/bugs. I prefer a day ahead because I want to enjoy holidays with my family.

I do have other towns where I do Time Travel. Started playing on the release and I wasn't interested in playing fall/winter in my Guest town. Jumped to late February and playing to Late September. Will continue to do this.
All the other towns are in different seasons. Once you play a whole year thru all the events it's fine to change the date.
I also keep the towns are the same date if I get high turnip prices or premium fruit. Helps friends sell at higher prices. Don't do this in my main town.

Not really, I mean, it really depends on what you time travel for. Like if someone got the game, and spent one day in this season and caught all the bugs, then TT'd to the next season to catch them all, then the next season or something just to get the badges or whatever I could see how that would be considered cheating or something, but it's a game and you can really play it so many different ways? I mostly TT within a day because I am either on really early morning or really late at night, so it helps to go forward or back a few hours just to be able to go to the stores and what not. But I don't frown upon people who TT to get villagers in or whatever they want to TT for. Some people stay in the same season because they like it aesthetically, who am I to say that's wrong?

Cheating usually implies manipulating win/loss conditions in your favor. Time traveling in Animal Crossing doesn't give you any HUGE advantages. Nintendo doesn't really seem to care, so I don't know why you have a bunch of players acting like time traveling is some sort of unholy sin. :(

day to day playthroughs are essential if animal crossing is a small portion of your schedule. i couldn't play as dedicated as i was the first few months. i think time traveling is for the dedicated and day to day is for busy people.

Even if it was cheating (which I don't consider it to be), people are allowed to play the game however they want for the most part. The only real way it could be cheating is time travelling to get holiday-exclusive items quicker, but that's not really any different than someone playing day-to-day in the long run as they're still the same items. And since time-traveling screws with turnips that issue has been ruled out as well.

I don't time travel in my current game just because I like playing for a little bit every day, but I used to do it when I had a weirder sleep schedule and tended to play at night (and didn't want to use the night owl ordinance).

I would lose interest in the game if it weren't for TT. I can only play early morning (8am) and late night (10pm) basically before and after work, which means I can't access most shops or I'll be late or too early to participate in events. So in that sense, TTing is essential for me to actually enjoy the game and everything it has to offer. I used to TT excessively to gain items, etc and i enjoy playing it that way and being able to instantly see my landscaping progress.. But now I'm busier with work, I'm playing day by day and participating in the 1 year challenge.. But I will definitely still TT within the same day to play in different times ;)

you know what else is cheating? Using rom hacks to perfectly place your villagers at the right spot and public works projects, putting plants in rivers

To me cheating implies taking an easy way out i.e not putting in effort. I don't consider those examples cheating, because without hacking there is absolutely no way to achieve those results

As others have said, I don't think it can really count as cheating because there is no "winning" in Animal Crossing. And for that matter, there's no "losing" either. People who don't time travel aren't at a disadvantage if people who do time travel complete their catalogue sooner or make more money quicker, for instance. It's how you want to enjoy your game. I personally don't time travel, because if I do I lose interest in playing pretty quickly.

Back