• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

General Advice

ichigomariti

Bells
New Horizons Token
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
January Birthstone (Garnet)
Red Candy
So I left 2017 finishing another semester of college, and boy have I been busy. I transferred to a new college, hoping to make new friends and to get away from the town from which I was raised. I have learned a lot, and I wanted to share it here.

You are the reason that you are unhappy.

I went to college a negative person who wanted to find happiness. I woke up every morning waiting for something to come my way. I spent a lot of time sad because I expected things to just come at me. But then, I realized that I am making the subconscious decision to be pessimistic and unhappy. I have to choose to look at things through a positive perspective in order to achieve happiness. It is ultimately you who makes your every decision, consciously or subconsciously. Yes, you are making the decision to be unhappy. I am not saying that being sad or unhappy is a negative thing, as I firmly believe that in order to be happy, one must know the feeling of sadness. If you are in a bad situation, get out of it. Force yourself, if you must, to get around a positive atmosphere. A great teacher of mine once told me-- Every second you keep yourself sustained in a bad situation is another second of your misery

I understand that you cannot control other people's decisions, words, or actions, but you do control how you react with them. React positively, and at the most, remove yourself from the situation quickly. The longer that you allow yourself to be unhappy in that situation, you guessed it, the longer you will be unhappy.

Lastly, believe in hope.

Hope was not something that I believed or thought much about. I believed in circumstance. Personally I don't believe in the saying "Things Get Better", but I believe in the saying, "Things Can Get Better". It is you who has to put in effort to make your life better. If you are in a bad place, believe in hope that it will get better because once it is better, you will feel like a much better person, and most importantly, a person who has found happiness.

I hope this helps somebody, and have a happy New Year!

Last edited:
oh dang thats deep, a couple of friends have told me this, maybe i should share it.

Hey you sound exactly like me throughout college! I wouldn't say it was my "person choice to be less pessimistic" that eventually cured me though. It was college ending. Turned out college was just terrible and once it was over it was like my depression just evaporated and the world was a better place. My life isn't exactly golden, I still have a lot of problems and insecurities, but I'm not miserable, so I feel pretty good!

I would also like to leave some advice. I learned that it helps to eat less, if you have a smaller plate or bowl. Go smol.

Back