Are you Biracial or Mixed?

I'm Black/Korean. I know next to nothing about my Korean culture, which is a shame. Hopefully I can fix that soon. So I relate more to my other half. But a lot of black people I've been around treat me differently because I'm mixed. Because I don't look black, they assume I'm not black. This one black girl thought that because I was half, it didn't count. She'd basically quiz me on how black I am which was the dumbest thing I've ever encountered. She'd ALWAYS target me over dumb little **** that doesn't even define someone's race at all. Every time some rap song came on she's like "DO YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS??" If I said no, she'd be like "pft, figures lol" We were all watching the BET Awards at some point out of boredom and she goes "lol I bet Ash doesn't even know who any of these people are." I'd ask her why tf she assumed that, and her response is "'cause you're not that black." ????? It was frustrating, because I shouldn't have to prove my race to someone anyway, it's pointless and her logic was totally screwed.

Wow what a complete and utter ****. Stuff like this always blows my mind, how nasty and despicable people like this can be. Is it deliberate? Reminds me of SJWs, totally lacking self-awareness and just vile deep down. I'm with you, hopefully they have changed for the better since then. It's even worse when supposed adults behave this way, you'd expect better from them but nope, still mentally and emotionally a 15 year old.

Last edited:
I'm Filipino/Italian, but I'm not close to either culture and I only speak English. My parents are very Canadian-ized and didn't really care about 'sharing their culture' with their kids lol. I feel 100% Canadian, but is there really a Canadian culture? I don't even like hockey.

I felt lonely growing up. I had wonderful friends, but they are all from Hong Kong so they all had a shared culture and I did not. But my friends always tried to include me and also I got to eat a lot of good food at their houses lol. :) We're still close.

But I really wish I learned another language when I was young.

Wow what a complete and utter ****. Stuff like this always blows my mind, how nasty and despicable people like this can be. Is it deliberate? Reminds me of SJWs, totally lacking self-awareness and just vile deep down. I'm with you, hopefully they have changed for the better since then. It's even worse when supposed adults behave this way, you'd expect better from them but nope, still mentally and emotionally a 15 year old.

Yeah exactly, totally reminds me of a lot of SJWs, you're right. Just the pointlessly nasty, rude ass behavior and ignorant bull**** they would spew. I don't have any problem with people assuming I'm not black when they first see me, 'cause how are they supposed to know when I don't look black, yknow? It's all good. So I'll tell them what I'm mixed with and maybe they'll go "Ohh, I had no clue you were black!" or some other similar phrase, I laugh about it, tell 'em it's all good & that I get that a lot, then we continue on with our conversation like normal people. So idk what possesses these other jackasses to act so damn ridiculous??? As if I'm not really black unless I listen to rap? Or I'm not really black if I don't have dark skin? Or if I don't have a certain kind of name? It's kinda **** because they make it seem like all black people are the same, or that they can set the standard for the entire race. It's like when some of those nutty feminists think they can speak for all women.

I'm Black/Korean. I know next to nothing about my Korean culture, which is a shame. Hopefully I can fix that soon. So I relate more to my other half. But a lot of black people I've been around treated me differently because I'm mixed. Because I don't look black, they assume I'm not black. This one black girl thought that because I was half, it kinda didn't count. She'd basically quiz me on how black I am which was the dumbest thing I've ever encountered. She'd ALWAYS target me over dumb little **** that doesn't even define someone's race at all. Every time some rap song came on she's like "DO YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS??" If I said no, she'd be like "pft, figures lol" We were all watching the BET Awards at some point out of boredom and she goes "lol I bet Ash doesn't even know who any of these people are." I'd ask her why tf she assumed that, and her response is "'cause you're not that black." ????? It was frustrating, because I shouldn't have to prove my race to someone anyway, it's pointless and her logic was totally screwed.

Then there was just other little ****, like black people excluding me from conversations because "I wouldn't get it", or being accused of lying about my race lol. But this all happened either when I was a kid or when I was a teenager, and people can be pretty ignorant in that age, so it's whatever. I'm not mad.

Okay, I really hate it when people treat mixed people as if they're not "good enough" for either of their races?? Which is another reason why I made this tread.
I get treated this way around other Filipinos as well. It's such a shame how people feel the need to judge people on race/ethnicity and not personality. However, out of curiosity, where do you live if you don't mind me asking (country, if in US then state ahah)?

Korean culture has started to become a lot more popular lately. It's a lot more accessible than it was a couple years ago I've noticed, so if you're really wanting to learn about it, it's cool how it's growing~~

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm Filipino/Italian, but I'm not close to either culture and I only speak English. My parents are very Canadian-ized and didn't really care about 'sharing their culture' with their kids lol. I feel 100% Canadian, but is there really a Canadian culture? I don't even like hockey.

I felt lonely growing up. I had wonderful friends, but they are all from Hong Kong so they all had a shared culture and I did not. But my friends always tried to include me and also I got to eat a lot of good food at their houses lol. :) We're still close.

But I really wish I learned another language when I was young.

I feel. My mom is very Americanized? If that makes sense...so growing up I found myself having to search for my own part of Filipino culture that she wasn't really able to show me. I really wish I learned another language growing up too though;;; It'd be so much easier lol.

I'm half Japanese and half Italian. I definitely identify with my Japanese side more because I grew up with my Japanese side of the family, and most people see me as asian. I do want to take the time to learn more about my Italian culture because I know so much about Japanese culture. Growing up I did have rough times because I went to predominately white schools, but I moved to California in my teen years so the diversity was nice. Right now I live in a predominately white state to live with my boyfriend, I might be the only part asian person in my town, though nobody addresses my race which is unexpected and nice.

I'm Black/Korean. I know next to nothing about my Korean culture, which is a shame. Hopefully I can fix that soon. So I relate more to my other half. But a lot of black people I've been around treated me differently because I'm mixed. Because I don't look black, they assume I'm not black. This one black girl thought that because I was half, it kinda didn't count. She'd basically quiz me on how black I am which was the dumbest thing I've ever encountered. She'd ALWAYS target me over dumb little **** that doesn't even define someone's race at all. Every time some rap song came on she's like "DO YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS??" If I said no, she'd be like "pft, figures lol" We were all watching the BET Awards at some point out of boredom and she goes "lol I bet Ash doesn't even know who any of these people are." I'd ask her why tf she assumed that, and her response is "'cause you're not that black." ????? It was frustrating, because I shouldn't have to prove my race to someone anyway, it's pointless and her logic was totally screwed.

Then there was just other little ****, like black people excluding me from conversations because "I wouldn't get it", or being accused of lying about my race lol. But this all happened either when I was a kid or when I was a teenager, and people can be pretty ignorant in that age, so it's whatever. I'm not mad.

that's disgusting, i'm sorry you have to deal with that.

I'm half Japanese and half Italian. I definitely identify with my Japanese side more because I grew up with my Japanese side of the family, and most people see me as asian. I do want to take the time to learn more about my Italian culture because I know so much about Japanese culture. Growing up I did have rough times because I went to predominately white schools, but I moved to California in my teen years so the diversity was nice. Right now I live in a predominately white state to live with my boyfriend, I might be the only part asian person in my town, though nobody addresses my race which is unexpected and nice.

It's good you aren't sensing judgement from others.
Kind of responding to everything in general, but I always felt more accepted by other races than my own? Idk if that makes sense. Being mixed, of course I'd go through the daily racism any kid who's mixed would go through, but overall it was always me not being "black enough" to hang with the black kids, or "Asian/Filipino enough" to hang out with other Filipinos and other Asians etc.
People not apart of my same background never looked for those things in me.

Last edited:
multi-racial. 1/4 filipino, chinese, korean, and spanish, though i was closest to my filipino culture because i was born and (barely) raised there before we moved to america. now i dont really feel like i belong to any culture, im just...floating around lol.

Japanese and Black! <3

Do I identify with one race/culture? Or equally blend both cultures together?
I don't exactly blend both of them together, I embrace the both of them as their respective cultures. We often participated in matsuri and obon as a family while wearing yukata. Create shrines and incense for our deceased. In school I participated in japanese related clubs and projects. And right now we are getting more in touch with our family in japan. On the other half, being in america, the relatives I grew up knowing where my black relatives. Embracing black culture was a little bit harder. My dad never introduced me trap/rap so-called "hood" or "ghetto" things. Mainly because he wasn't into it so much himself. However we always supported black businesses, black artists, stood up for civil rights, and basically put our money where our mouth was when it came to empowering and supporting our people. Whenever I had an opportunity in a school project where the teacher is like "create a debate, or a speech" I don't hesitate to type out an essay and create a thorough powerpoint that expresses a black persons perspective on america on the topic of racism and civil rights.

When I were younger, did I have identity struggles?
I didn't so much, but my older sibling did. I remember I didn't think so much on "what" I was on my own. But I remember how a lot of people around me, try to bring it up on how "exotic" I was. And I've caught racial bias on both sides. I've been told how it was my "blackness" that made me exotic and how anything mixed with black is beautiful. And (more often) I've been praised for my "half japanese" side thats amazing and interesting and "something that your so lucky to have". (although typically its weeaboos and lightskinned, non japanese-asians like vietnamese or chinese that tell me things like that) They ask me what I am, I tell them I'm half black/ japanese. The first thing i hear is. "I wish I was japanese." While on the black side, I've received jealously/hate due to internalized racism from blacks. My friends were mainly diverse, I never had a group that was specifically one click. I never really had been in a japanese (american) groups because I'm "too brown" for them, and although I've had more individual black friends than japanese friends, I've never been in a black group due to not clicking with them so well. Ive had a "pick which side your on" battle, but I've resulted in the belief that being biracial/mixed race means you get the best of both/multiple worlds. I'm exposed to more culture, and more languages. Its a little tricky dealing with the communities since everyone wants to impose their ideas on who you are, and what you are and where you belong, but its important to know that I am not just japanese, and I am not just black. I am both. And its a concept many people have yet to understand.

How has my culture helped me growing up?
The struggle wasn't so much on who I am, since I know what I am. The struggle was more on how people perceive me and what they try to do/tell me and why. The struggle was more on battling the stereotypes. I never really listened so much to the people who tried to tell me what I am, or what side I am more. Not even my own parents. My sibling on the other hand had more trouble with it. I've been told numerous times "oh it must be your japanese/black side thats..." like for example (and true story) ive (and my sibling) been told "your japanese/asian side must be the reason why your so smart." When in fact its my black parent who went and graduated with a degree from a university and taught me many life lessons and skills. So yeah, when people in general can't put you under a label, because you don't fit any stereotype for your specified gender, they can say real funny things. Nowadays being mixed/biracial is more... i guess known? esp. in homogeneous countries like japan (arianna miyamoto)

Anyways, this is a huge chunk of text. Ill just finish off with a closing thought. Its important to embrace your culture and love it, and who you are. (this does not apply to cultures that persecute and oppress other cultures/people/groups, if you take pride on that, shame on you.)

Japanese and Black! <3

-snip-

Anyways, this is a huge chunk of text. Ill just finish off with a closing thought. Its important to embrace your culture and love it, and who you are. (this does not apply to cultures that persecute and oppress other cultures/people/groups, if you take pride on that, shame on you.)

omg thank you for writing all of this! Everything you've said in this post is so important, I think any biracial person should look at Soraru's original post!
Even though there may be times where you feel as if you don't belong somewhere, it's always important not to let other people judge/categorize you. You are who you identify yourself as, and no one should let labels describe them~

I'm mixed: Vietnamese (mainly), Chinese, and French.
From my physical feature, people do believe I am mix of something. However, majority of the time, I get mistaken for other race like Haspanic(?????), Thai, or whatever, which is funny. LOL Keep in mind, I'm pale af.

I am more touch in my Vietnamese side because my family are all Vietnamese. Chinese and French culture came from my great grandparents, so I have no touch in that. Oh my goodness, a lot of older Vietnamese people are shock that I am Vietnamese because how I look so different. Majority of them commented how my nose is perfect / sharp like how white people have. (Then they assume I had plastic surgery??? lol what). But it's weird.. A lot of people still assume I am a happa (biracial), when I am not. d:

Hmmm.. Percentage wise, it's around 90% Vietnamese, 5% Chinese, and 5% French. That's how I see it. lol

I'm biracial. White on my mom's side (Irish/German) and black on my dad's side, although he doesn't know where in Africa he's from. I guess I kind of identify as both races pretty equally. I don't feel any whiter than I am black or any blacker than I am white. It doesn't really affect me in any way.

omg thank you for writing all of this! Everything you've said in this post is so important, I think any biracial person should look at Soraru's original post!
Even though there may be times where you feel as if you don't belong somewhere, it's always important not to let other people judge/categorize you. You are who you identify yourself as, and no one should let labels describe them~

thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. My sister and I have a social media project we are constructing on for people like us, so we start to create a community/discussion for ourselves. Since often times we are rejected or feel left out of the "community" aspect of our cultures, because of what we are told or challenged. But once you get a solid feel for you who are and what you stand for, then you feel more stronger and confident. I think its a great feeling to have.

Last edited:
thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. My sister and I have a social media project we are constructing on for people like us, so we start to create a community/discussion for ourselves. Since often times we are rejected or feel left out of the "community" aspect of our cultures, because of what we are told or challenged. But once you get a solid feel for you who are and what you stand for, then you feel more stronger and confident. I think its a great feeling to have.

Oh a social media project? That sounds so interesting ahah!! I'd love to hear more about it if you don't mind~

Oh a social media project? That sounds so interesting ahah!! I'd love to hear more about it if you don't mind~

she is constructing a life blog and website of her mixing both cultures and how she accepts them. its a form of storytelling, basically like everything i said in my original post but in a more poetic way. she gets connected with others who are like her, and is pretty much just making her shown to the world kind of deal. like "hey, im biracial/ hafu. People like us exist, and this is how we embrace and celebrate our cultures!" kind of message.

that's simply your nationality. just because you were born in america doesn't mean you're ethnically "american", and therefore would not mean you are of mixed race by that regard.
(So late lol)
ohhhhhh i feel so stupid now

Okay, I really hate it when people treat mixed people as if they're not "good enough" for either of their races?? Which is another reason why I made this tread.
I get treated this way around other Filipinos as well. It's such a shame how people feel the need to judge people on race/ethnicity and not personality. However, out of curiosity, where do you live if you don't mind me asking (country, if in US then state ahah)?

Korean culture has started to become a lot more popular lately. It's a lot more accessible than it was a couple years ago I've noticed, so if you're really wanting to learn about it, it's cool how it's growing~~

Yeaaaah, it's pretty unfortunate. Just stay confident in yourself and realize you're the ****, then those lames lose relevancy anyway lol. I live in the U.S, Virginia btw.

that's disgusting, i'm sorry you have to deal with that.

It's all good, people are just so ridiculous. It made me salty when I was younger but now I'm just so baffled???

I am 100% white. Funny thing, though. My generation is the first to not be 100% Italian. The older generations consider us "mixed" and "tainted" because of that. My dad is German, and my great-grandparents almost shunned my mom for having kids with him. And when my aunt adopted a Dominican child? Holly crap, all hell broke loose.

i'm mexican, spanish, and irish but my last name is white so i get questions about that. i was raised with mexican culture so i guess i identify mosttttly with that.

Last edited:
Back