• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What percentage of raw anime can you understand? (Nihongo)

Izzy Reincarnated

ボケ!!!!&#
Bells
Jack
Tasty Cake
Pear (Fruit)
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
Ok so,we all know that raw anime is just pure Nihongo. But how much can you understand when you listen/watch anime??? I know there are some people that know like very basic words like sugoi, kawaii, and some others, and there are some who are like actually fluent and actually understand it...So out of curiosoty, how much can you understand?

FOr me, I can understand about like 80%, like I know most sentences and stuff, but there are always a few words I won't understand. Kinda like a little kid with their native language.

Last edited:
I think I've almost worked out what Joseph Joestar is saying when he shouts "Ow mai gawduh!", but I'm still not certain.

i can understand some basic stuff i guess like, onii-chan and kawaii but i know when they say what's wrong and other simple phrases like that

I understand most of the more common phrases, but other times I only recognize one or two words being said. Like a lot of people, I'd say I'm somewhere between understanding "kawaii" and "sugoi" and 100% comprehension of the language.

I don't watch anime like only if my friends tell me to watch something 'really good', but maybe like 15-20%. I can pick up nouns, adjectives, one-liners and stuff but not so much sentences in general.

I've watched enough subbed anime to pick up on the translated meaning of some words. But I don't claim to be fluent in even those terms because I don't know the first thing about the language or translating it and will not pretend as if I do.

Like none of it, but that's probably because, just like American TV shows, I don't watch much. About a year ago I watched Parasite: The Maximum, the first season of Attack on Titian, and a few episodes of Plastic Memories and got so bored with that last one that I fell asleep every time I tried to watch it, and haven't bothered with anime since. Tbh I have no interest in learning Japanese, or any other foreign language, at the moment so even if I started watching anime regularly I probably wouldn't pick up much of the language.

i can't understand any of it lmao

i don't watch anime very often, so that's probably why

Hmm I mean I can put together simple sentences, but the only things I seem to recognise are super basic stuff like "goodbye" or "wow" lmao

Last edited:
I don't really watch anime much anymore but I can pick up on a lot more of the language now than I used to. I can understand basic phrases and words, but I can also translate sentences now (ie in TV shows / anime). Nothing majorly complex but it always blows my mind when I listen to Japanese songs now and I can start finally understand what they are singing phaha. Although usually it never makes much sense anyway. ^^ There's a lot of things in Japanese that doesn't directly translate to English so the weird thing for me now is being able to understand something in Japanese but not being able to describe exactly what it means. :')

99% I'd say. Since most anime are pretty easy. I struggle more with things like medical/crime drama's.

Exactly none of it. Thank god voice overs and english dubs was created....

Exactly none of it. Thank god voice overs and english dubs was created....

//stabs with a pocky katana

Honestly, dub makes me cry
For some reason they get really ****ty voice actors to do it...(and they're like all American?) I wouldn't mind if they were actually good but-- yeah no
The only one I preferred over the original was Death Note tbh, that's was really good

//stabs with a pocky katana

Honestly, dub makes me cry
For some reason they get really ****ty voice actors to do it...(and they're like all American?) I wouldn't mind if they were actually good but-- yeah no
The only one I preferred over the original was Death Note tbh, that's was really good

True, some of the voice actors aren't "good" but you have to give them effort for trying. They provide the dub to anime so we don't have to read the texts and some animes accomplish to reflect the character with their voice even if they are ****ty. But if i have to be honest, i don't mind reading the subtitles and enjoy the japanese voices over the american dubs.

I'm not sure...I think a 10% maybe? Like I really try my best to understand verbs, nouns and everything but some words are still a mystery to me :/

Back