Rare fish?

i think the rarest fish you can catch right now are stringfish (big shadow in the river), oarfish (huge shadow in the ocean; bigger than a sea bass), tuna (shadow = same size as oarfish), and coelacanth (only while it's snowing, and the shadow is the same size as the oarfish/tuna)

Stringfish = 4PM to 9AM in the river
Oarfish = all day in the ocean
Tuna = all day in the ocean
Coelacanth = 4PM to 9AM (?) in the ocean, only in snow/rain

there are other less rare fish in the winter (sea butterfly and football fish, both ocean fish)
there are also other non-winter fish that are rare, but, again, they aren't found in the current season (namely arapaima, arowana, char, gar, dorado, giant snakehead, saddled bichir, king salmon, napoleonfish, blue marlin, and the sharks)

honorable mention to the Pike, which is also a rare winter fish with a big shadow found in the river until the end of December from 4AM to 9PM; i put it separately from the rest because it has a big shadow like the rarest fish, but sells for even less than the Football fish... and it won't be available past December

/end my Blathers-esque rant about sea life... hoooo! :^)

edit: JK! here's more =
my recommendation for catching the Stringfish is to wait until 9PM or after when all of the 4AM to 9PM fish disappear, and then walk around your river until you see a really big shadow. you can respawn/reset the fish in the river by Saving and Continuing, or by going in and out of buildings

Last edited:
Back