• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What really sold you on animal crossing?

To be perfectly honest, the puppy-dog eyes of a twelve year old who was completely convinced his aunt would "love" ACNL. Seriously, call me a sucker, but I'd rather not say no to family - at least when they're not asking me to loan them cash.

It's not the kind of game I would have chosen on my own, but I've definitely been enjoying it so far!

in city folk i liked doing the daily things and i loved becoming friends with villagers and collecting stuff. in new leaf it has been more about designing though for the first year or so i did the daily chores every day and really enjoyed it

There was a show in Canada called ?Video & Arcade top 10? that showed off the game.. I remember seeing the player get attacked by bees and I was sold instantly. Lol. I was blown away by how realistic the game was at the time (for 12 year old me who didn?t know what a simulation game was)

Back in 2008 when Let's Go To The City/City Folk came out, I was big into the Harvest Moon Wii game (can't quite recall the name). I was at Blockbuster when I saw it and it just called to me. It also looked really similar to Harvest Moon, which is why I picked it up. I was also real lonely and getting bullied back then, so I felt captivated by the animals; so much so that I picked up Wild World in 2009, then GameCube in 2012.
I still to this day mostly play to talk to the animals.

Last edited:
Talking animals! XD then again I had the GameCube version c: Thanks to my mother... so I’ve been hooked on it since then. But the cute talking animals are what really kept me going!

The cute villagers, it was in real time, you can design your town however you like, and how relaxing it was.

I dunno, my friend lent me Lets Go To The City, I played it, I was like, damn this is really good, and that was it.

There's a lot of things that Animal Crossing had that really attracted me to it, but I think what really sold me on it was the laid-back environment that the game creates, and the customization. New Leaf is kind of therapeutic at times for me, since its so laid back and accessible that it can just get rid of my stress easier than something like Fire Emblem and Smash Bros does (which seems to replace my stress with a new set of stress that comes with the game). Customization was also a really big thing for me, too. You can customize so much, ranging from your character's appearance to how your town looks, and it makes me feel unrestricted when playing it.

House customization is probably the feature I love the absolute most, I think in every game I spend more time on my houses than anything lol I'm obsessed with interior design and get easily addicted to any game with a lot of customization as it is. Never really cared about decorating the town much before NL.

The animals! I have a tendency to isolate myself and then feel lonely afterwards, so having animal neighbors to talk to actually helps.

Based on the commercial for it, it didn't seem very interesting... But then the whole "Create and decorate your own town" thing really got me interested. I'm glad I got the game though because it has been one of my favorite games over the past few years :)

My sister's old friend had WW and I fell in love. I got the game myself a month or two later. I got bored in a few days and about a month later decided to go crazy with completing it and making things pretty. 4 years of my time was wasted when I left it at my mom's friend's house...And saw Yomoro was gone and replaced with Aniville.

Back