• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you like country music?

Country is actually the only genre of music I don't like.

I am not a fan, it plays all the time at work, and I can say there are maybe 2 songs that are ok, but the rest... it harms me to listen to. Especially the banjo song, where half of the lyrics are "I'm playing the banjo" or the one about aliens having their baby taken by a dingo... Just like... why? Who writes this song and is like "Yep, this is what will make me famous."

I used to hate country music, but now there is maybe 2-4 songs I like that is considered country. But most country songs I dislike, so I'm surprised I like any at all lol

I used to, but then Joanne came along and now I've been converted.

My hatred for country was a perfect illusion.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say this but I do not like country, either. I feel pretty open to most types of music, but not much with this one.
I heard it a lot growing up. That was the age of stuff like the Dixie Chicks (saw someone else mention Shania Twain, she had some cool stuff in the 90s) and some of their old stuff I would probably still listen to a little today if it came up. I didn't really mind country growing up, as a kid you don't care as much about the music you hear and you don't have as much control over it, either. I think it's declined a lot in quality in the past decades. If I think of a few country songs I may enjoy, they'd be really old ones from decades ago...now, country is heavily pop-based (inherently I don't care but it is a bit hypocritical) and as others have said, it mostly seems to be about drinking, picking up women, sex (in a really weird way like if you were listening to your grandparents talk dirty...no one wants that), and I'm not very much in agreement in general with the demographics of country music (political and religious views for example), so there's that. I also think it's a bit hypocritical that they have so many songs about getting drunk, but would have no problems giving someone a hard time for using cannabis. I'll never be ok with that mentality. Another problem I have with country is that, despite the things I said, it's just 'ok'. It's the 'accepted' genre of music you hear in most restaurants or stores because people just assume country could never offend anyone. My parents also liked classic rock and some modern hard rock but nope! When relatives come over, they would only play country. I'm not saying it offends me, but it's not the most amazing, sacred music, either.

I understand that some of what I said against country can be applied to say, rap music. Lots, not all, (like country; some, but not all) is about sex, violence, intoxication, etc. but at least it's not trying to claim it's something it isn't, and I get that vibe more from country. Those themes also suit rap music more, in general (there's plenty of rap though that is extremely intelligent and inciteful if you listen); I listen to it when I'm with friends or the like. With both genres, there are good and bad apples. I mainly made the comparison to rap because a lot of people who don't like country may not like rap either.

Last edited:
No, but my dad does enjoy a fair bit of it. ^-^

I'm not familiar w/ a lot of country so I can't say. At the very least I can't remember a lot of it, but I know I always enjoy Johnny Cash when he comes on. I'm primarily a metal head though, so....yeeaaah.

I know people say this all the time but I literally like a bit of every genre except country. I can't stand how it sounds at all.

I'm a big Dwight Yoakam fan. Other than that... I don't mind the stuff from the 90s and earlier, but I find modern country just weird.

I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive...
mm not really but some of the songs are quite catchy

not really, no.
when I was much younger and used to go visit my grandma Mary, I got to deal with many, many car trips of listening to country music. I never enjoyed it, honestly.
don't really like the southern accent, which is the biggest reason I'm not a fan of any country, even the classic stuff.

Nope. I hate it. I'm sure there is decent country music out there, but I've never heard any that I liked. It didn't help that my Bus Driver would blast country music on the bus speaker back in Highschool, and if I didn't have earbuds that day, I was screwed.

Not me. I straight-up can't stand country. It's an awful genre with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. After years of being forced to listen to that nonsense at work I can't deal with it, at all. Every country song I heard could be classified in one (or both?) of these two qualities: Incredibly irritating or incredibly depressing. Now, I like a lot of depressing music, but the country in that category is depressing in a very negative way. At work it would sap all of the energy out of me.

It leads me to wonder why in the world a genre that is hated by so many was played at my workplace at all. So glad to be gone from that place. The awful music is one reason.

With that said, I like a lot of country-related genres. Bluegrass is good. Country-Folk like John Denver is amazing. But country itself is a void.

so i'm presuming those who dislike country music also dislike bluegrass?

You can't assume that, actually. Bluegrass is a completely different animal.

I can't say I regularly listen to Bluegrass, but every time I hear Bill Monroe I enjoy it.

here's a great performance-- maybe one of the first duets ever televised?? short and sweet, under 2 minutes, well-performed in every way. i swear it looks like they were leaning in for a kiss at the end (i think from other versions ive seen on youtube the broadcast switched to NBC logo at the end). its Anita Carter (little sister of Johnny Cash's future wife) and Hank Williams:

I listen to Johnny Cash, but other than that I haven't found much from the genre that I like.

i can't do it.

i mean i won't flip out if i hear it, but i'll usually elect to avoid it. certain subgenres or genre fusions i'm more open to, but it's all a different beast to my glitchy and aggro EDM home

i do have maybe 2-3 favorites but usually i dont like listening to it, for me its like being stabbed in the ear with a fork

Back