2017: A New Challenge (Always Open to Newcomers)

pocky

mott's best friend
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
White Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
Tasty Cake
Cake
tumblr_ohseg4XPxy1rzbb5ao1_500.png

tumblr_m9ghg4U28Q1r6e49b.gif

I had a lot of fun in 2015 with The One Year Challenge. For 2017 I thought I would do something different. I was originally just going to do this challenge on my own but I'm posting here in case anyone else wants to join in. I thought it would be more if other people got involved with it as what I enjoyed most about the OYC was sharing my progress with the community and getting to see what others had done with their towns.

If you haven't guessed by the name of the thread, the challenge won't start until January 1st, 2017. I'm posting this thread almost a month in advance to gather interest and to make it easier to do some planning before the official start of the challenge. I've been working on the rules for about two weeks now, but do keep in mind that this is a work in progress. So feel free to suggest any rules you think might make the challenge more interesting. Dec 30th will be the last day to suggest new rules. After that no new changes will be made to the rules section.

AS A NOTE: FEEL FREE TO JOIN US IF YOU'RE DOING A REGULAR ONE-YEAR CHALLENGE BUT ARE NOT FOLLOWING THIS PARTICULAR THEME! Your presence will be greatly appreciated! I just want to have fun with everyone!!! (click for rules of the theme-less one year challenge)

tumblr_ohsfgw88Sd1rzbb5ao1_250.png

You have fallen seriously ill after contracting a deadly pathogen for which there is currently no cure. Now realizing that you a threat to everything you love, you decide to leave everything behind in the hopes of starting a new life somewhere far away from civilization. A friend tells of you of an abandoned village named [TOWN NAME] and so you buy a one way ticket there hoping to spend the rest of your days in solitude.

On the way to [TOWN NAME] you meet a strange feline who asks far too many questions. And you?re so distracted by the sight of a talking cat that you fail to realize the town the train has taken you is completely different from what your friend described to you.

Upon arrival you?re greeted by a welcoming committee of peculiar animals, amongst them a dog who insists you?re the town?s new mayor. You try to explain that there has been error --that you arrived here by mistake-- but the friendly dog refuses to take no for an answer. And before you know it you?re planting down a tree for the town?s inauguration ceremony as the villagers cheer you on.

There is no escaping now. These animals depend on you. With them constantly asking you for so many things how can you possibly expect them to run a town all on their own?

Perhaps this time things will be different. Perhaps you?ll be able to keep your new friends safe.

tumblr_ohsfgw88Sd1rzbb5ao2_250.png

I want to make something very clear before I start listing off rules. I made this thread because I want to do something that's fun with the community, because I want for us to have fun together. If you see anyone breaking the rules that's okay! Don't be the jerk who tries to exclude that person or tells that them that they can't continue to participate. You can continue to share your progress here even if you've given up on the rules --the point, after all, is to have fun.

tumblr_ohsfwlG3t31rzbb5ao4_75sq.gif
NEW BEGINNINGS:
You must start your new town on January 1st, 2017. (YOU CAN STILL JOIN!) It is recommended that you do not sell your town to Tom Nook (that way all of the participants can be on equal footing.) But it is technically not against the rules to sell your town to Tom Nook if you wish to.

You may not time travel unless you start at a later real life date and time travel to get caught up to the rest of the participants.

You may not dupe, use PowerSaves, or edit your save file in any way.

You may not use TBT bells (forum currency) to purchase any items for this town. Every item that you buy must be purchased with either game bells or MEW Coupons. You may, however, use TBT bells when buying/selling villagers.​

tumblr_ohsg1adIZO1rzbb5ao2_75sq.gif
SOFT RESETTING:
To keep things challenging it is recommended that don?t reset for maps or plot reset for villagers/villager house location. You may, however, still do it as these sorts of things won?t really affect the outcome of the challenge.

tumblr_ohsfwlG3t31rzbb5ao10_75sq.gif
PATIENT ZERO:
With you being so terribly sick every villager that comes into contact with you now runs the risk of being infected by you. Every time* a villager asks for a change of catchphrase you must* change it to ?[SEE SPOILER].? This catchphrase will make it easier to identify the infected. You are not allowed to ignore villagers that ping you.
Choose what kind of pathogen/virus/condition is affecting you and pick a catchphrase that goes along with it. You must stick to the same catchphrase throughout the entire year.

Here are some suggestions:
*cough* - for the plague
braainnnsss - for a zombie outbreak
AWWOOOO - if you're a werewolf

help expand this list by adding your suggestions to this thread!

tumblr_ohsg1adIZO1rzbb5ao1_75sq.gif
* = PREVENTIVE MEASURES:
Certain items will lower the chances of spreading this deadly pathogen. When wearing these items you may roll a single dice (die) to determine whether or not you will infect a villager when choosing their new catchphrase. If you do not possess any dice in real life you may roll them online using this website (or whatever other website/app you want to use) In order for these items to serve their function you may not get them from another player nor will you be allowed to order them from the catalogue. They will only ?work? if you buy them yourself from Labelle. Should you accidentally sell said item you must wait until it shows up in the shop again.

doctor?s mask : if and only if you?re wearing this item when a villager asks for a change of catchphrase you may roll a dice. Should the dice land on the number ?6? : Congratulations! You managed to keep your villager safe. If it lands on anything other than a 6 you?ve infected them.**

gas mask
: if and only if you?re wearing this item when a villager asks for a change of catchphrase you may roll a dice. Should the dice land on an odd number (1, 3, or 5) : Congratulations! You managed to keep your villager safe. If it lands on anything other than an odd number (1, 3, or 5) you?ve infected them.**

** = If these two items do not suit the theme of your pathogen you may choose two different ones. This choice must be made before you start your new game. You cannot make changes to their effects. There must always be a 1/6 chance of success for the less potent item and a 3/6 chance of success for the most potent one.​

tumblr_ohsfwlG3t31rzbb5ao7_75sq.gif
THE SPREAD:
Sometimes villagers will share catchphrases with other villagers, meaning that an infected villager can infect other villagers on their own. You will automatically fail the challenge should all 10 of your villagers get sick/pick up the catchphrase.

tumblr_ohsfwlG3t31rzbb5ao6_75sq.gif
THE CURE:
Should an already sick villager ask for a change of catchphrase you must either reject their offer or keep their catchphrase as is. You may not cure villagers by giving them a change of catchphrase. However, should this villager interact with a healthy villager and pick up the healthy villager?s catchphrase it will be cured.

tumblr_ohsgxoGJKh1rzbb5ao1_75sq.gif
QUARANTINE:
Should an already sick villager ask to move out of town you must ask them to stay as your goal is to keep this pathogen contained. However, should a healthy villager ask to move out you?re free to choose what to do with them. A sick villager will only be allowed to move out if it happens without you being alerted beforehand --but remember that you?re not allowed to ignore any villager that pings you. And if you hear rumors of a sick villager wanting to move out you must do everything in your power to try and get them to say.​

tumblr_ohsfwlG3t31rzbb5ao8_75sq.gif
INVITING NEW VILLAGERS:
You may move in new villagers using Amiibo cards but you can?t use amiibo cards to move out sick villagers. You may also adopt villagers from other players. Be careful when adopting already sick villagers.​

tumblr_ohsfwlG3t31rzbb5ao3_75sq.gif
FREE AT LAST!
Should you make it a whole year: Congratulations! You?ve won the challenge. A mysterious traveler has shared the cure to your illness with you and your friends.​

Last edited:
This sounds very interesting! Definitely a new spin to help keep things interesting for an entire year.

I'm not joining the game, but make it to where you have to have Raddle as your villager!

But why the disease theme?

Last edited:
There was no theme. My town had a theme, but I wasn't running that challenge :)
Oh. Silly me. I really do want a non-themed 1 year challenge though. That would go perfect for my 3rd town.

Last edited:
This is really cool! I'd join if I had a second cartridge, I can't bring myself to start over. Good luck and have fun to all those who join, hope to see this getting a lot of players. <3

Oh. Silly me. I really do want a non-themed 1 year challenge though. That would go perfect for my 3rd town.

Feel free to post your progress here even if you end up not following the theme :) I was going to do a regular OYC thread, but didn't in case the original creator decided to come back.

Feel free to post your progress here even if you end up not following the theme :) I was going to do a regular OYC thread, but didn't in case the original creator decided to come back.
Wait, what do you mean "Feel free"? You mean I have to make a OYC thread myself? No, WAY! I am not doing that.

Last edited:
Wait, what do you mean "Feel free"? You mean I have to make a OYC thread myself? No, WAY! I am not doing that.

By Feel Free I mean that you can post about your town in this thread if you wish to :)

If I had a second copy of the game, I would definitely do this... :c
Aww ; O ; I understand. These challenges can get frustrating if you only have one game going :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

This is really cool! I'd join if I had a second cartridge, I can't bring myself to start over. Good luck and have fun to all those who join, hope to see this getting a lot of players. <3

Thank you!

oh man, I'm doing the 2017 challenge but it's not themed u_U.. this sounds really fun though and I'm reconsidering doing this :'D

oh man, I'm doing the 2017 challenge but it's not themed u_U.. this sounds really fun though and I'm reconsidering doing this :'D

You can post your progress here even if you end up not following the theme! :) I should edit my post to include that

Well I'm doing my own 2017 challenge too but
It doesn't have any theme at all
It's just gonna be call random and full of my favorite animals that I couldn't have in my other towns

You can post your progress here even if you end up not following the theme! :) I should edit my post to include that

I think I'll start with the theme... and possibly cure myself by springtime lmao. I love how you made it seem like an RPG/board game though. You can mark me down as one of the participants for now! :D

Well I'm doing my own 2017 challenge too but
It doesn't have any theme at all
It's just gonna be call random and full of my favorite animals that I couldn't have in my other towns

Feel free to join us even if you're not following the theme :) The fun thing about these challenges is getting to do something together as a group :)

I think I'll start with the theme... and possibly cure myself by springtime lmao. I love how you made it seem like an RPG/board game though. You can mark me down as one of the participants for now! :D
Oh! I love spring! The grass looks best around that time of year :) The thing I hate most about starting in January is the snow :( I look forward to playing together!

Back