• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

2017: A New Challenge (Always Open to Newcomers)

Day 8
-got a silver slingshot (been popping balloons with a net)
-farmed medals to afford a wetsuit to be able to do the diving trick
-Rodney requested a road sign. Bad Rodney!
-Able Sisters were selling a jester's mask for the third time in a week...
-changed town tune into the X-files theme
-a third bridge got built overnight

Day 9
BOhj7tn.jpg

Bill moved in

PqucVZ5.jpg

Rahkoi will have an upstairs tomorrow. Not that I have any furniture to decorate it with... The stuff I need is pretty specific so it'll take a while to get it.

Rz4TwnH.jpg

Project dead tree is coming along. I planted 9 perfect pear trees today but I'll chop some down when I get cedars to replace them with. Oh and I remade the patterns on the ground. They blend in with the snow much better now.

jBIUqUw.jpg

The 3rd bridge. I made a short test path out of the stepping stones for fun. Dunno if I want to have a pattern path. It looks kinda weird anyway, lol! I can't decide what'd best fit the look I'm going for.

Another dilemma I've been having is whether I should make 4 or 3 characters. In addition to Rahkoi, I'm also making a church for sure, but I've been wondering if I should make separate houses for the witch and the spirits & mythical creatures, or just infuse the spirits' house with the witch's. I'm leaning towards making both because it'd make more sense but I'm worried because I might want to plot reset sometime.

@Cosmic Kid: I'm continued to be impressed by your pattern making skillz. That pattern fits perfectly with the snow! can I ask what colour combo you used for the white parts? I'm trying to make a stepping stone pattern myself but it's not going so well :'D your town progression looks awesome so far!

day 8 and 9 is up http://two--trees.blogspot.my/2017/01/day-8-9-visiting-island-and-finally.html

I'll join in on this challenge (will post town name and all that jazz when I get off work tonight).

If I may propose an optional rule:
- If at anytime an infected villager gives you a photo of themselves, that means that they are terminally ill. If their catchphrase does not change to a healthy villager's before they ping you to move, you must let them move on and die. If they return after 16 villagers have been cycled, then their catchphrase must be one of the following:
1. booo~ or BOO!
2. you see me?!

That villager is now a ghost and must remain a ghost. You must keep their picture either in your home or in the museum.

Catchphrases:
- blood (vampire infection)
- eww, puss! (black plague, chickenpox, or shingles)

@Cosmic Kid: I'm continued to be impressed by your pattern making skillz. That pattern fits perfectly with the snow! can I ask what colour combo you used for the white parts? I'm trying to make a stepping stone pattern myself but it's not going so well :'D your town progression looks awesome so far!

day 8 and 9 is up http://two--trees.blogspot.my/2017/01/day-8-9-visiting-island-and-finally.html
Aaa thanks! You mean the color in the cracks? I'm still new to this whole pattern making business and failed to figure out a combination that matches the snow. I just made the stones as big as possible and put a tiny bit of this color in the corners and cracks:

AxVqN1Z.jpg

Lol. It's the closest single color I could find but again, it doesn't match the snow too well. If you have even one full row of that color on the edges, there's a visible difference to the snow.

However, I found *this* pattern on tumblr just now and its colors seem to match the snow really well. If you can figure out which colors that path uses, I think using them would be a better option than doing what I did.

(Lol I hope this is what you meant? The other colors I used are in the 3 upper corners of the palette, just grays).

Before start: randomized between zombie outbreak and black plague...
Result: Black Plague
Protective items: Beak (weak); Fencing mask (strong) - for reference, this is based on the original medieval hazmat suits that doctors would wear when visiting patients
To prevent reset spamming, I randomized the maps I have at the outset and the 3rd one won.

Town: Damyang
Mayor Name: Suyeon
Villagers: Roald, Marcel, Margie, Friga, Peewee
Fruit: Cherries

Last edited:
!! i really love this!! i'm gonna do it haha

██▌* ✖. ) ❝GENERAL ?
TOWN NAME: rosewood
MAYOR'S NAME: chloe
TOWN FRUIT: cherry
GRASS PATTERN: i got star snow, i think it's circle grass?
TRAIN STATION COLOR: green!
TOWN HALL COLOR: brown and grey-ish, the inside is brown

██▌* ✖. ) ❝INHABITANTS ?
CURRENT VILLAGERS: monty, hamlet, pippy, fauna, freya, muffy, graham and drago!
i'm really impartial on all of them to be honest...i like fauna and freya though. c:
CHOSEN CATCHPHRASE: yo ne?
i'm going to be playing as a malevolent fox spirit that came into town and is looking to bewitch everyone! or, not as so malevolent as just wanting everyone to like me haha. "yo ne?" is just a really cute verbal tic that i think would fit a kitsune pretty well.
DREAMIES: merengue and erik!

Ugh... the buildup to unlocking the QR machine is killing me. Unlocked the island today, and planted loads of cherry trees. Found the path I'll start laying down tomorrow. It's called Pac? Bleu. Screenshots coming tomorrow.

GUYS, UGH! I accidentally moved-out CLAUDE instead of Klaus... why can I not read! ;A; Good thing I have Claude's card and can just move him back in, but what a silly mistake!

@windwake: I love your custom rules! especially loving those protection items!

@ Suyeon: omg that custom picture rule is so sad! such a good addition, do you mind if I follow that rule as well?

@Hyacinths: Welcome to the challenge! Your town name is so cute :)

Sorry I wasn't able to respond to everyone this time and that it took me so long to write a post. I'll be moving out of the country in less than a month so I've been busy getting everything sorted. I have been playing though! Here is what I've been up to...

HNI_0047.JPG
now that I'm mayor I was finally able to get a screenshot of my map. I quite like it, though I'm not too fond of the villager housing placement. Ideally I'd like all villagers to live in the same side of the map (what with the lore of my town revolving around crossing a river and all)

HNI_0045.JPG
I also unlocked the garden shop. Haven't actually bought anything from it though... I still don't know how I'll even decorate the town so there is no point in spending the bells.

HNI_0042.JPG
did some decorating around my house, still keeping it at the smallest possible size. I have the bells to upgrade but I'm waiting until I have more items/a better plan.

HNI_0036.JPG
My 8th Villager, Shari, also moved in recently. She is incredibly cute (at least in my opinion) and is currently one of my favorites (from the ones living in this town) I'm thinking I might move in a 10th villager soon via amiibo card. But I don't know who...

@pocky, feel free to use the picture rule. Glad you liked the idea :).

Considering the time (quarter to 11PM), I'll just state my progress for the day...
- bought out Nooklings
- got a little over half of the initiatives done: Good fit - spend 500B at Able Sisters; Mole Cricket. I need one more fossil for the Fossil Record (I won't count on it, since there tends to be only 4 a day) by tomorrow morning. The Art Appreciation - I already know this won't happen. How likely is it that Redd will show up when you don't even have a house?
- Bought the items available at Harvey's for catalog purposes
- Bought the items at Re-tail since I can't sleep on the floor and needed some storage space
- I spoke to my neighbors some, but I didn't keep things going. Don't want anyone too eager to change their catchphrase this early in the game.
- Since Isabelle won't be available for anything useful til tomorrow, I'll hopefully have more to report, then. Also, since I'm off work tomorrow, I might indulge in writing things in story-form.

@Suyeon love the picture idea! I will be using this as well :)
@Cosmic Kid Ahh yes thanks for the palette! I noticed the snow was kinda bluey and the reason why my snow parts were sticking out like sore thumbs was because I used only white and greys. I'll try this out!
@pocky I LOVE SHARI! She was in my town before I reset <3 please keep her safe LOL! It's nice to finally see your map! I love your house placement.

^ I hope it helped. Your patterns look great even as they are! I'd love to see what they're like after you redesign them. I'm sure they'll be awesome.

Day 10 in Rajamaa

iptd8uN.jpg

Nookling Junction's upgrading! I'll miss this shabby little shop.

*steps into Re-tail*
V48bExD.jpg

l026D82.jpg

Found Rajamaa's first lost item. As a dutiful vassal, Rahkoi decided to take on the mission of finding its owner. It turned out to be the shady Rodney..! I'm watching you dude.

b4oDied.jpg

I also remade the stepping stones. Yep... again. This is why I don't ever use pattern paths. I also made some longer strips of test paths out of them and they actually turned out ok. I usually have trouble deciding where to put down the paths, but it was easy to lay them out in this town. I might keep them for now.

Other than that, the villagers keep on being active citizens. I just wish their visions for Rajamaa were a bit more similar to mine. Ren?e requested the wood bench. Redd was in town too. THIS TIME I picked something legit.

I'm itching to make one of the side characters already but ugh I gotta resist until my plans become clearer!

Last edited:
Could use some encouragement w/the challenge ;A; I'm frustrated with how my villagers plotted and I feel like I don't have time to play during the week, only during the weekend :c

I'll join in on this challenge (will post town name and all that jazz when I get off work tonight).

If I may propose an optional rule:
- If at anytime an infected villager gives you a photo of themselves, that means that they are terminally ill. If their catchphrase does not change to a healthy villager's before they ping you to move, you must let them move on and die.

{I might institute this rule myself, actually. Of course, with a very "glitchy" spin, of course...

Also! I'm sorry that I haven't been able to get any updates up, been really busy with things. I'll have that for y'all later in the night}

December 8th, 2017; 11:36 AM.

The next day, you are greeted with Big Top coming up to you and saying, with a very serious tone, that he needed to talk to you privately in your house. Once in the house, he pulls up his sleeve to reveal that a part of his arm had... well, it was multiple colors. Where once was the hide of an elephant there was a mixture of bunny fur, cat fur, and alligator scales. You yelp and knock the things off your table in your house, including the sparse bag you arrived with, and everything in the bag came crashing to the floor.

"Binyot... ya are the ah, carrier of this weird thing, aren't you? Weren't ya from Vinetown?" Big Top asks.

You are hyperventilating; you thought you could handle this! Why did everything you touch turn to shi...take mushrooms?! Before you can really stop yourself, the truth comes out of you like a gushing waterfall; about Vlinny, about you, about your curse, about how you thought this town was abandoned, how you failed to leave when you realized it wasn't because everyone was so nice and you couldn't let them down....

After a while, Big Top raises a hand. "Ah, Bizhawk as ya see it is kind of new." he says softly. "I'm not surprised ya old mayor didn't know that this place had 'a been re-populated since tha 12 or so years it's been abandoned."

"Wait, you believe me?" You ask.

"Normally I'd think ya'd be full 'a lies, tellin' me 'bout aliens and such," Big Top replied. He then reached down and picked something up. "You are lucky that, ah, ya bag dropped this." He then hands you what he had picked up. It was a handheld device; it looked like the pad portion of a Wii U. However, it had clearly been modified with electronics clearly not of this world; little loose pieces seemed to poke out of the framing. Vlinny must have slipped it into his bag before he left, but what was it for? Your eyes catch on a note hanging half out of the bag, and you pull it out and read it.

Hi Binyot! :>

Sorry I had to slip this into your bag without knowing. I had one of my entourage do it without the mind link between us active, so my queen won't know what I've done. I know you'll be lonely, so I decided to give you at least someone to talk to. I mean, hey, you probably would rather not talk to me after the whole 'keeping the fact that I was an alien' fact from you, but it's better than sitting in a tent all by yourself for a year with no one to talk to but yourself.

If you ever need someone to talk to, press the power button on this modified pad, make sure the anntenna is up all the way, and then put in this code: 5B00-000F-78EB. That should patch me to you, and I'll make sure to answer you if I can! :> Stay safe, Binyot.

Vlinny

You finish the letter, and then you hear a loud "ERROR" from Big Top's mouth. You look up to see him shivering.

"Sorry, ah... I can't a.... control that." He looks nervously at you. "Do ya... have that happen to ya too?"

You tell him yes to make him feel a bit better. It seems to help, him thinking that you are just a victim as he is. You can't appease your mind, however. This is your fault.

0Iokg0C.jpg

December 8th, 2017; 1:42 PM.

You feel your sins crawling on your back, and to take your mind off of what had transpired earlier today, you visited the new model homes that were around two miles away from the town. They were decorated by people who lived in other towns, as a model of their own houses. Happy Home Acadamy, the organization that you had apparently signed up for when you bought the house, ran it; if your house was nice enough, they would make a model of it here. You think about the bag of chips on the floor back home and wince. You weren't going to have a model home any time soon.

You turn in the plaza, and his red, curly hair assaults your eyes almost immediately. With a twirl, he takes your arms and starts singing, dancing you around. He then lets go of your arms and smiles. "Ah, sorry! I just got carried away, I think... I'm Thandion!"

"I'm, ah... Binyot." You reply.

"It's very nice to meet you, Binyot. You are very handsome, by the way," He says, then he snaps his fingers as if he forgot something, and reaches into his pockets and presses something into your hands. It's a blue balloon.

"A-ah, thanks..." You stammer out. You aren't sure what to make of this guy as he turns and leads you to the houses, talking excitedly about his roommates (His partner, and a mysterious guy he offered lodging to a year ago in another town.) When you hear about his partner being a doctor, you stop.

"Uh, is your partner knowledgeable about rare diseases?" You ask Thandion.

"Oh, probably. He knows a lot!"

"Do you think I could schedule an appointment with him?"

spy6Ex4.jpg

You were able to get a same-day appointment with Thandion's partner. He was a doctor, but he didn't look like what you expected. He'd gotten early experience healing people on battlefields, Thandion had told you earlier. You had asked him to stay with you during the visit. You barely knew him, but you couldn't help but trust him either; and it was better to make small-talk with him then sit in the waiting areas having panic attacks.

When you had explained your illness and how it manifested, Dr. Edomir had put his hands on his chin for a few minutes, brow furrowing.

He then looked up at Thandion. "Can you leave us for a few moments?" He asked gingerly. Thandion opened his mouth to say something, probably a question of why, but Edomir blinked twice and looked directly at him. A conversation seemed to happen between the two just with their eyes, and Thandion nodded and left the room.

It was a few moments before the Doctor spoke again. "I'm sending a field doctor to that area to help contain the spread of it. This is the same strain that affected Vinetown, so him and I have dealt with it before."

"You have?"

"Yes. You lived in Parkfeld before, yes? We were able to stop most of the spread there and save it. Unfortunately we arrived too late to help Vinetown..." He blinks. "You existing fills in a lot of holes for us, actually. It also creates more issues." He rummages around in the cabinets and pulls out a bag, placing it on your lap. "This is the prototype for an antidote for what you carry. It won't help you, but it should help your friend. It should stop the spread of it, though we haven't found a strong enough antidote to reverse the damage."

"...Do you think maybe I can help with that?" You ask.

"Most likely. That's why I'm sending Dr. Raddle to your area."

December 9th, 2017; 2:10 PM.

You didn't think Dr. Raddle would have moved in to BizHawk, much less this quickly. By the time you had awoken and delivered the medicine to Big Top, his house was sitting freshly-built in a remote section of town.

He introduces himself, and then goes over what him and Dr. Edomir had learned about your disease. Heearing about it made you ill. You couldn't get Scoot's face out of your head; or the thought of his rotting body on your carpet, probably still there...

ahgsMBR.jpg

NSx3PDJ.jpg

You slip a few bells in the donation box for a new bridge, and are told that your contribution had paid for the bridge! You blink twice, and then a smile dons your face. Mitzi, nearby, hears and gives you a hug, laughing. "I've always wanted a bridge there! Oh my god! I'm so excited to see it when it's built and cross it and this'll make travel to and from the houses easier!!"

You can't help but be excited with her.

GtwDUtF.jpg

December 10th, 2017; 10:38 PM.

There's another plot set aside for a villager. Doctor Raddle sighs, but there isn't much he can do to stop the immigration; it's not as if him and Edomir have any real power. But you do, you realize. You tell Isabelle to only allow 10 villagers in. She tilts her head, but then nods. "You want to keep it a small community?" she asks.

"Yeah. For now. I am new to this, and I think... having less people as I start out would help."

LM6BbFr.jpg

There's a meteor shower tonight. You stare at the sky as not one, but two fall; you've never been a praying man, but you pray at them with a wish. You tell the star that you need something to help protect your villagers from you with. Something that you can use to save them somehow. Anything.

agKPEuF.jpg

Damn i wish i had another game. Itd be really cool to build the town to look like theres a plauge too. Like build a house thats a hospital with all the new Welcone Amiibo items and such. This entire thing is just an amazing concept.

Last edited:
I have been wanting to do a one year challenge anyway so I am going to start on the 1st and just day to day catch up, that's the only thing I am allowing is catchup. Also my birthday is Thursday and I have some weekend plans and holidays and all but now is the time so once I get everything in order will fill in on what has happened in a short day by day. Shouldn't take long to be on date but going day by day. I like the picture rule so am instituting that if they give a picture then they get to go haunt the mainstreet for a while. I tried in Oct of 2013 with my second town NightElm to do a Halloweenish town based on Nightmare on Elm St with wolves and sheep but accidental losses Camelot turned into wolves my first and I made a seperate sheep town so now it has rabbits and lions and just doesn't fit right...I kept it though but this is another shot at something so no offense but an illness I won't choose because I actually have one not infectious but incurable so this is an escape from that reality stuff but I have seen many cool ideas looking through like the error escape opt delete thing and I love the stories as I am a writer myself...So I am going to call the town Illusion, my story is I managed to stay awake and hence not get taken out by the dream stalker and I boarded the bus to get out of NightElm with no sleep and a fever not realizing as I fell asleep on the bus what I was bringing through the gates with me. I have to keep them alive and in a beautiful dream world in this parallel universe of talking animals and not let them know they could end up "sleepwalkers" hence unknowingly being prey for the dream stalker. Safety item low level:Wizard Hat, High Level:Maskerade Mask, Instant infect if I am carrying a pink or blue nightcap when approached ever. Infected phrase:Never Sleep!/No Sleep if other won't fit.
I will win and keep it contained for a year or if they all become infected I know it got me first and Illusion will never be broken from its final Dreamscape, the Dream Suite will play a role in my game. Mayor name:Faith. Will update when set up caught up. But am working on it. Will possibly make a second character with a menacing house or just make things look really surreal and maybe one half of town all beat up and broken down looking and another side fairytaleish or dreamy...Will be working on this and updating on progress as it comes. I like the story aspects some of you have and some of your own rules, I will likely add some more as it comes to me but right now have got the setup in place will fill in neighbors and first week on info soon but know I'm on board. I may be playing a little different but bringing in an evil sleep curse suits me better than illness. The rest though plays about the same.

Back