• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

2017: A New Challenge (Always Open to Newcomers)

I was never really interested in something like this before! Is it too late to sign up? Can we do our own kind of theme, like HP or fairy or flowers? We should set up a blog and all the members doing this should be sure to look at it. Can we still do whatever to our towns, such as laying down paths to keep villagers out of certain areas/just as paths, planting trees everywhere, etc? Or should we keep our town fairly as it is in the beginning? Also are we allowed to have all one species of villager, like if we are doing a werewolf theme can we have all wolves/dogs?

Last edited:
This sounds really cool! I will be doing the regular one-year challenge c: Best of luck to everyone !!

Thank you! I'm so excited for this now! I've decided on my healing items as well - bandage, post-op patch and the leaf!

Yeah I'm gona try too but I'll be at my aunt's so I might have to leave it until tomorrow :p

Sorry if this has been answered already but are you doing a spreadsheet for this? Might be a good idea to keep track of the diseases, catchphrase and items everyone's using :)

OH! I love that so much! The leaf would be so cute, like a natural/herb remedy. I love it!

Also, thanks for reminding me! I'll go ahead and set it up right now :) Will make it so that any of you guys can edit it. Hopefully no one outside of the challenge will mess with it (some people like to troll/bandalize spreadsheets)

I am! Or, well, I don't think I'll be doing it at exactly midnight but definitely before I go to bed, so pretty soon. 3 hours 'til midnight!

Thanks! I'm definitely excited about the new possibilities the update items give for a theme like this and I agree, having stories for towns is a lot of fun! Didn't dizzy bone say they might make a side-story for their town? That sounds really interesting.

And hey, your theme sounds very promising too! Natural towns are one of my favorites and mystical and rustic sounds great too. I hope all goes well regarding the Japanese copy. Is this your first time using it?

What time zone are you on? I'm excited to see your new town! I think you'll be the first to reach midnight :) You will be the original! So excited now!

A side story sounds like it would be a lot of fun :O! I'm looking forward to reading about it :)

I've used my Japanese copy before but not extensively. This will be my first time using it for a full year, looking forward to experiencing all of the exclusive events.

I was never really interested in something like this before! Is it too late to sign up? We should set up a blog and all the members doing this should be sure to look at it. Can we still do whatever to our towns, such as laying down paths to keep villagers out of certain areas/just as paths, planting trees everywhere, etc? Or should we keep our town fairly as it is in the beginning?

You can still sign up :) We'd love to have you! Individual blogs would be fun to have, I might make one myself but I might just share my progress here instead. I'll add a blog section to the spreadsheet so that people can share their URLs that way.

Also, you're free to set up your town as you wish. Ultimately I want people to have fun with the challenge so it's best to decorate a town according to your style and to create something that you'll love so feel free to go all out with your decorations!

P.S. I just wanted to say super good job with the layout in the OP, really cute and well done! <3

What time zone are you on? I'm excited to see your new town! I think you'll be the first to reach midnight :) You will be the original! So excited now!

A side story sounds like it would be a lot of fun :O! I'm looking forward to reading about it :)

I've used my Japanese copy before but not extensively. This will be my first time using it for a full year, looking forward to experiencing all of the exclusive events.
I'm on GMT+2 so might well be, except that my plans changed a bit and I'll be going out. If there's someone else in Europe, Asia or Oceania doing the challenge, they might have their town up and running before me! Anyway, I'll check back in as soon as I've settled into the new town. Still gotta come up with a character name, choose a town name between Marches and Rajamaa (marches/borderland in Finnish) and come up with a catchphrase!

Good luck with the Japanese copy! It should be really interesting experiencing the events and festivals! Once you get the hang of understanding the dialogue better, you might even realize it's better than the English translation!

Last edited:
I'm on GMT+2 so might well be, except that my plans changed a bit and I'll be going out. If there's someone else in Europe doing the challenge, they might have their town up and running before me! Anyway, I'll check back in as soon as I've settled into the new town. Still gotta come up with a character name, choose a town name between Marches and Rajamaa (marches/borderland in Finnish) and come up with a catchphrase!

Good luck with the Japanese copy! It should be really interesting experiencing the events and festivals! Once you get the hang of understanding the dialogue better, you might even realize it's better than the English translation!

Oh! Im so excited to see that you have a European copy. That means that if someone else has a NA copy we'll be able to experience all(?) of the events together (not sure if Korea has any exclusive events for the game) I also just noticed that your time zone is right on your signature. OOPS!

Hope that you have fun tonight :)

p.s: I love both of those names

Last edited:
Wait actually I do have another question are we allowed to have more than 1 character or do we just have our mayor?

Oh! Im so excited to see that you have a European copy. That means that if someone else has a NA copy we'll be able to experience all(?) of the events together (not sure if Korea has any exclusive events for the game) I also just noticed that your time zone is right on your signature. OOPS!

Hope that you have fun tonight :)

p.s: I love both of those names
Oooh, it would be so much fun to experience the events together! The European version seems to have the least holidays/events though, haha! Nevertheless, whenever there's a regional EU holiday going on, I'd be happy to have anyone who's interested come over.

Wait actually I do have another question are we allowed to have more than 1 character or do we just have our mayor?

You can have as many characters as you'd like :) I might make a few myself

Oooh, it would be so much fun to experience the events together! The European version seems to have the least holidays/events though, haha! Nevertheless, whenever there's a regional EU holiday going on, I'd be happy to have anyone who's interested come over.

Does it really? I wonder why :( I thought EU would have more events, what with there being so many different countries in it! I see that you have added your town to the spreadsheet. I gotta say I love your villagers!

It's done now!

QMQfG1q.jpg

In my previous towns, the mayor's always been a representation of me but I thought it'd be more fitting to do something new this time. The name Rahkoi is a reference to a ghost-like creature that was believed to cause lunar eclipse and waning of the moon by covering the moon with tar to be able to do his mischief in secret. Waning moon was associated with difficult times so I thought the name would be fitting since the mayor is, after all, the one who brings the plague and unhappiness into the town. The name of the town, Rajamaa, means borderland or marches, a word that's a Medieval term for borderland according to Wikipedia.

Rajamaa map
94h9ShX.jpg

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the map but it seems to fit my plans at least. I found it on the third reset. Rahkoi lives in a lonely corner and I'll be making a vertical bridge to the left of his house which should cut him off from the rest of the town. The rest of the lower island is reserved for villagers and farmland. The far-right of the upper island will be a dark forest where mysterious things happen and the witch lives. I'm planning to make the feudal lord/vassal live left to the town hall. I'll also be building a third vertical bridge to the peninsula.

That's the plan, at least.

Oh, and in case anyone's interested, my villagers are Francine, Sly, Pinky, Sydney and Benjamin. Not a fan of any of them unfortunately (let's switch, pocky! I'll take the chance lol!) The town fruit is pears which is a bit of a bummer since my other town has pears too. But o well, you win some, you loose some! I'll fill in the post format after waking up.

Good luck resetting!

I should've seen this thread earlier o.o awesome idea! I've created a new town for regular 2017 challenge today, but I might change some of my plans to join this one.
Mayor: Xenia
Town: Vischio (meaning. another name for mistletoe; couldn't think a better name for a new year town :p)
Curse: cold lethargy (I made this up. Its symptoms are chronic lethargy, coughing, pale and yellowish skin, red circles around eyes, insomnia. Virus's target is lungs, leads to lung failure and death in late stages but luckily it's staging slowly)
Catchphrase: *cough*

Last edited:
In the spreadsheet will someone change my mayors name to Rowena? I can't edit it on my tablet for some reason :(

I will post about my town when I wake up. Too tired to make a proper post now! But I wanted to respond to you guys...

It's done now!

QMQfG1q.jpg

In my previous towns, the mayor's always been a representation of me but I thought it'd be more fitting to do something new this time. The name Rahkoi is a reference to a ghost-like creature that was believed to cause lunar eclipse and waning of the moon by covering the moon with tar to be able to do his mischief in secret. Waning moon was associated with difficult times so I thought the name would be fitting since the mayor is, after all, the one who brings the plague and unhappiness into the town. The name of the town, Rajamaa, means borderland or marches, a word that's a Medieval term for borderland according to Wikipedia.

Rajamaa map
94h9ShX.jpg

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the map but it seems to fit my plans at least. I found it on the third reset. Rahkoi lives in a lonely corner and I'll be making a vertical bridge to the left of his house which should cut him off from the rest of the town. The rest of the lower island is reserved for villagers and farmland. The far-right of the upper island will be a dark forest where mysterious things happen and the witch lives. I'm planning to make the feudal lord/vassal live left to the town hall. I'll also be building a third vertical bridge to the peninsula.

That's the plan, at least.

Oh, and in case anyone's interested, my villagers are Francine, Sly, Pinky, Sydney and Benjamin. Not a fan of any of them unfortunately (let's switch, pocky! I'll take the chance lol!) The town fruit is pears which is a bit of a bummer since my other town has pears too. But o well, you win some, you loose some! I'll fill in the post format after waking up.

Good luck resetting!

Oh man! I'm seriously in love with your Mayor's name. I hadn't heard the term "Rahkoi" until tonight but I absolutely love the meaning behind it. I gotta say you did a really good job with that --did you do research or did you already know about it beforehand? I like your map too, mine is actually pretty similar to it but yours looks a lot better. I thought your villagers were cute too, none of them are ugly --at least not to me. Would probably not be a good idea to trade with me... I got Harry..... /shudders.

I should've seen this thread earlier o.o awesome idea! I've created a new town for regular 2017 challenge today, but I might change some of my plans to join this one.
Mayor: Xenia
Town: Vischio (meaning. another name for mistletoe; couldn't think a better name for a new year town :p)
Curse: cold lethargy (I made this up. Its symptoms are chronic lethargy, coughing, pale and yellowish skin, red circles around eyes, insomnia. Virus's target is lungs, leads to lung failure and death in late stages but luckily it's staging slowly)
Catchphrase: *cough*

I'm so happy that you decided to join us! Vischio is such a cute name, I had no idea that it was another name for mistletoe. Somehow "Vischio" just sounds more magical! Cold lethargy is perfect for the current weather too --WHY CANT VILLAGERS WEAR SWEATERS??? THEY NEED TO STAY WARM!

In the spreadsheet will someone change my mayors name to Rowena? I can't edit it on my tablet for some reason :(

Fixed it for you :) Sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier, had a big party.

View attachment 191448
Curse: SSS (Special Snowflake Syndrome)
Catchphrase: tumblr

no regrets​

That's it, you win the challenge. LMAO.

Pocky, I'd rather have Harry than Jambette!

WVW69j8bYwcV51fjw_

Mayor Hazel of Latibule~ Hazel isn't my real name but I decided I'd make a character out of my mayor as I'd like to do comics or a story based on my gameplay at some stage. Latibule is a word which means "a hiding place" which is pretty fitting for this theme! I'm pretty indifferent to my villagers, Felicity is the only one I really like but her house is in a terrible spot so I'll have to let her go. Luckily I have her amiibo card so I can move her back in! I'll probably move Jamette out asap (praying she doesn't get cursed!) and I've a feeling Walt might grow on me. It's funny I have Goose again, he was in my first OYC town back in 2015.

WVW69j8bZ88rS5NI6d

I really like my map! I'm planning on having all the main buildings on the left and having a cedar forest around my mayor's house. Also might try and move most (if not all) of my villagers to the southern part of town, particularly on the little peninsula. I have pears for fruit which I'm pretty happy about cause I love the golden perfect pears. Also have square snow which means triangle grass which is fine by me (As long as it's not square grass I'm happy!)

Hope all of your resetting is going well~

^I really like the meaning behind your town name, Hazel! Your villagers are nice too. It's probably an unpopular opinion but I think Jambette is great! She lived in my OYC town from 2016 and Goose is still living there and has from the very beginning! Felicity lives there too, actually. Maelle seems nice, I'd like to meet more duck villagers.

--
As for more news from Rajamaa, since I created the town before 6 am, there's already a new villager plot in town. And you know how I chose plague as the illness... And it mainly affects rodents, right? And fleas transmit the disease from the rodents to humans. Well guess who's moving in: a hamster, Rodney. I'm convinced that this is a bad omen. And while I'm still talking about villagers, I said I wanted them to move into the lower island but I didn't reset for the mover today. Plot resetting doesn't really motivate me anyway and it'd be more in the spirit of things to not do it so I'll think about it some more.

I chose the cow bone and moon hairpin as the preventive measures. The cow bone will have the same effect as the doctor's mask in the OP and the moon hairpin will act like the gas mask. I chose the cow bone because bones have been used as charms to prevent bad luck and the moon hairpin is related to the Rahkoi creature that affected the phases of the moon like I mentioned.
Oh, and @pocky: I'm glad you like the name! I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it before since Rahkoi's a creature in Finnish mythology (not that others don't have similar creatures). I've been reading about mythology lately and Rahkoi piqued my interest. I did know I wanted to make references to mythology, but it didn't occur to me until I was sitting in the train making the new town that it'd be a good fit for the mayor's name!

Yasss, here's mine!

90b8945563.jpg
90ba20c595.jpeg

Mayor Chan of Kiri!!! Diggin' into my Cambodian roots with this one. Chan means Monday and Kiri means mountain. My town's going to have a cursed thing going on.. maybe play around with the idea of superstitions. A mysterious newcomer (not my mayor) will arrive and curse the town with the plague for an unknown reason bahaha. Hopefully I can create a little side story on my blog to go with this challenge!

I was going to map reset for this, but I actually ended up going with the very first out of the four. I never had the patience for resetting anyways :'D It's completely different to my main town Tinytree's map (and lots of space for PWPs) so that's all I was really looking for!

██▌* ✖. ) ❝GENERAL ?
TOWN NAME: Kiri
MAYOR'S NAME: Chan
TOWN FRUIT: Peaches
TRAIN STATION COLOR: Green
TOWN HALL COLOR: Green

██▌* ✖. ) ❝INHABITANTS ?
CURRENT VILLAGERS: Static, Buck, Cookie, Gala, Alfonso
Initial thoughts: I love Static, he is so so cute. His house is near the area I'm going to build a campsite and his house looks kind of shabby so I'm probably going to keep him. I've never had any of these villagers in town before so I'm excited to interact with them.
CHOSEN CATCHPHRASE: *cough*
Description: Sometime after Kiri begins working on PWPs, a new resident will arrive and curse the town with the plague. Plants will start dying (no beautiful town ordinance this time round) and trees will not bear fruit!
DREAMIES: Dizzy is a must! I want him back in my town <3

I decided to join the theme-less challenge!
This is my town layout, I'm pretty satisfied with it as it doesn't have many rocks and I like the way the river looks. Native fruit is peach! I would've picked apples or pears, but to be honest, I'm just glad it isn't cherries. Also, since I haven't been playing in the past couple of months, I noticed a bunch of new things in the game.

Town_Layout.jpg

The mayor's name is Ivana because it's my real name, and the town is called Morheim because it's a place in Aion which is really special to me. That's about it!

J1ST_TREE.jpg

Back