• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you hate the USA?

Isn't that technically correct though? I mean, the correct name for our country is The United States of America (USA), yes. But we live in the united states of... America. We live in America. Just individual states within the country. So, can't we still say we live in America? Is this way of thinking incorrect?

- - - Post Merge - - -

In the end, I suppose it doesn't matter to me what anyone calls it, but I am genuinely curious.

Well, of course yeah, your continent is America, but not the country... Just take for example the name of this thread, which asked if people hate America (which technically includes every country from North America and South America), but everyone answering to the thread talked about the USA. Isn't it wrong?

I'm probably wrong thinking like this anyway, but it has always tickled me when someone calls the USA "America" haha. But of course it's a very little detail, I didn't mean to bother anyone with this xD

Last edited:
Isn't that technically correct though? I mean, the correct name for our country is The United States of America (USA), yes. But we live in the united states of... America. We live in America. Just individual states within the country. So, can't we still say we live in America? Is this way of thinking incorrect?

- - - Post Merge - - -

In the end, I suppose it doesn't matter to me what anyone calls it, but I am genuinely curious.

I think they were just commenting on the fact that people in other countries don't use the word America to mean the US. Where I'm from everyone just calls it "The States" and we use the word America(s) to describe the western hemisphere. Just a little regional difference that can get confusing :)

Well, of course yeah, your continent is America, but not the country... Just take for example the name of this thread, which asked if people hate America (which technically includes every country from North America and South America), but everyone answering to the thread talked about the USA. Isn't it wrong?

I'm probably wrong thinking like this anyway, but it has always tickled me when someone calls the USA "America" haha. But of course it's a very little detail, I didn't mean to bother anyone with this xD

Oh no, you didn't bother me at all. Like I mentioned, I'm just curious, because now I don't know what's right and what's wrong. Also, I'm geographically challenged, so everyone forgive me I say something stupid about geography. Please. Lol.

I think they were just commenting on the fact that people in other countries don't use the word America to mean the US. Where I'm from everyone just calls it "The States" and we use the word America(s) to describe the western hemisphere. Just a little regional difference that can get confusing :)

Well, that's a much better way to explain what I meant. :)

Well generally people when people say "America" they're referring to the United States.

But, I don't hate any portion of the American continents. Wouldn't be caught dead in Central or South America, but I don't hate them.

I personally don't hate it, I just don't like it and wouldn't want to live there. I'm definitely happy here in Canada.

I don't really mind it here. It's not bad compared to my home country where the health services are terrible (if you look like you are about to die of blood loss, they will still make you sit in the waiting room) and they kill people who look like they are doing drugs on the spot.

I certainly don't hate the U.S. but like others on this thread I don't think its "the greatest country". It's only a leading superpower in terms of money, with China not far behind. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe we owe China lots of money.
I dunno. I just find it slightly annoying and kind of.. smug (or overconfident) of many people to consider it so.

I'm not really big into this stuff though. I take life easily, so I don' bother worrying about this stuff. I'm content here and I have a happy life with good people and good entertainment. :)

THOUGH ONE DAY I DO REALLY WANT TO CHECK OUT JAPAN
It must be beautiful there... I can't imagine what it's like.
I bet it's way cleaner and that you'd encounter a lot more friendly people. :)

I love this country, I really wish the people who run it wasn't so darn greedy, though. Greed will bring this country down one way or another....

**** no. I understand why you feel that way op. America has made me who I am. I am grateful for that. I have had a good and comfortable life. I'm moving to Japan when I graduate but the only way I got interested in Japan and was able to learn Japanese and get Japanese friends was because of America's resources. Aside from actually being born in Japan. I am lucky to have exposure to what I desire. No country is perfect, but it doesn't mean I don't love America. Yes, America has its vices and shortcomings. Yes, being a white 21 year old male has sculpted my perception of America without a doubt. I would gladly die for America. America will always be my home

Last edited:
it's meh to me
i think it's a country that has the power to ruin the idea of world peace and most of the rednecks are eeeeeeeeeeee but a lot of my friends live there so

no i dont hate it but i hate/Strongly Dislike a lot of thiings abput it and the ppl living there ?\_(ツ)_/?

the us (assuming thats what this thread is abt and not all of america) has a lot of problems and i dontcwant to live there but i dont rly hate it ....

I don't hate america, I just feels like It could be better...

The U.S.A has always fought on the side of freedom, and peace would be non-existent without the nation. lol.

I hate how Americans think they live in "America". You don't live in America, you live in the USA, lol.
Maybe because that's a general way to refer to it. I live in the Kingdom of the Netherlands, but everybody just refers to it as "the Netherlands" (or Holland if you want to be an old-timer).
By your logic, Mexicans would have to say they live in the United States of Mexico, rather than just Mexico.
A lot of countries have a much longer name than what is actually used, and there isn't any problem with it.

In regards to the main topic: No, I don't. Hating a country is stupid, because whatever you hate about it can and most likely will be changed.

I mean.. I love Canada and all but I'm not gonna lie some of y'all romanticize the heck out of it. Like we aren't all that "glorious and free". Yeah stereotypically we're "nicer", but you have to remember that the majority of the population lives relatively close to the American border so the culture isn't that wildly differently.
I definitely am thankful for being Canadian and all but implying that we're some racist free, discriminatory free country is pretty dismissive of the things that do go on here.

Maybe because that's a general way to refer to it. I live in the Kingdom of the Netherlands, but everybody just refers to it as "the Netherlands" (or Holland if you want to be an old-timer).
By your logic, Mexicans would have to say they live in the United States of Mexico, rather than just Mexico.
A lot of countries have a much longer name than what is actually used, and there isn't any problem with it.

In regards to the main topic: No, I don't. Hating a country is stupid, because whatever you hate about it can and most likely will be changed.
Do you think this would also apply to countries like North Korea and Saudi Arabia? Countries that have been sucky forever and for the foreseeable future?

Back