• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Sepia's Headworlds

Sepia

🐛 🐜 🐛
Bells
Mailbox
noctomnis_banner_by_umbra_avis-dapy1pg.png

Welcome to my headworld!!

To be honest everything I've tried typing here has sounded like it has gone through a cement mixer. So I think I'll just get down to details...

• My name is Sepia, it is nice to meet you! :)
  • I am 19 and will be attending University next year to do a course in Illustration.
  • I am an Illustrator and have done lots of commission work.
  • My passion to draw has always been partnered with my passion to tell stories.
  • I have many worlds in my head that have many secrets and mysteries that I can hardly put down on paper. I'll try my best though!
  • I also love animal crossing and used to make lots of fan-art. I haven't made any in a while but have recently gained interest.

What is this thread for?

This is simply a gallery thread for me to post my artwork. You'll find sketches and full illustrations here!
Your feedback is very much appreciated and all discussions are very welcome! I'll also answer any questions you may have.

My Stories!...
As I mentioned above I consider myself a writer alongside Illustrator. (Mostly Illustrator though!) I often get ideas for stories and when these ideas drop in my mind it's very hard for me not to do something about them. They mean a lot to me as most of these have often appeared in fragments over my lifetime and only just come together to form this vision. You are free to ask any questions about these stories, in fact questions will help me expand them further so I encourage it!
PRISM
This story has been with me for a very long time and it has grown over the years. At this point I've been able to correlate various ideas together into one big idea, and that is what PRISM is. What you'll find in this story is a ghostly fairground, colourful characters, shattered glass and a mysterious being called "The Prism"

RESPICIO
This story centers around a boy names Cyrel Castillo who becomes trapped inside a dream as a moth. Determined to find a way out of this dream he must figure out the reason he's stuck there in the first place. Tackling his minds own challenges and solving unresolved questions. He'll meet many strange insect characters along the way.

Featured Pieces
respite_smaller_by_umbra_avis-dapy5at.png

slipping_away_by_umbra_avis-daoqkfp.png

Thank you for looking! ^^

Last edited:
Your artwork is gorgeous, exactly the kind of themes and styles I truly appreciate, and I am beyond jealous that I am incapable of work like this. Truly amazing, and please never stop being an amazing artist. ;A;

Wow your art is so unique and cool looking!
I have a question. What is your favorite color to use when painting? :>

Such cool artwork! Very nice on blending ^^ I have a question: What art program do you use + tablet?

@Petey Piranha- Thank you!!

@Skweekerz- Good question! I guess it's not a question of what my one favourite colour of working, more like what are my favourite combinations of colours for working. Red and green is definitely one of my favourites followed closely by dark blue and orange. If I had to choose an individual colour it'll be dark blue! I've always favoured darker colours to lighter ones.

@Bunnilla- These pieces are traditional! I painted these with Gouache which is a type of paint that's like an in-between of watercolour and acrylic. I also used Coloured Pencil, Pastel and fineliner. After scanning my traditional pieces I'll take them into Photoshop to adjust the levels and make the digital version look more like the original.

@Petey Piranha- Thank you!!

@Skweekerz- Good question! I guess it's not a question of what my one favourite colour of working, more like what are my favourite combinations of colours for working. Red and green is definitely one of my favourites followed closely by dark blue and orange. If I had to choose an individual colour it'll be dark blue! I've always favoured darker colours to lighter ones.

@Bunnilla- These pieces are traditional! I painted these with Gouache which is a type of paint that's like an in-between of watercolour and acrylic. I also used Coloured Pencil, Pastel and fineliner. After scanning my traditional pieces I'll take them into Photoshop to adjust the levels and make the digital version look more like the original.

If it's traditional I couldn't tell, you are truly amazing o:

@Mayormae- Thank you so much!!
@Bunnilla- That's quite the compliment, thank you!

I believe I shall kick start this thread by posting all my Respicio illustrations to this date. Respicio is one of the stories I'm working on and you can find a short summary along with my other story (PRISM) on my first post!...

Here is the reference sheet of the main character, Cyrel Castillo.
I've posted it as a link because the image itself it's quite big and has a few elements to it. :)
http://umbra-avis.deviantart.com/art/Cyrel-Castillo-Reference-Sheet-618689164

jittery_bug_by_umbra_avis-da1apga.png

warning_by_umbra_avis-dagcuwd.png

smaaaller_by_umbra_avis-dapxyua.png

I also made a short practice comic a while back for this story. I cringe at it now but artwork is artwork...

http://umbra-avis.deviantart.com/art/Respicio-Downtime-Page-one-611573219

http://umbra-avis.deviantart.com/art/Respicio-Downtime-Page-Two-614289937

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/20495903/

Last edited:
Wowza! You're incredibly talented! I've always strayed away from traditional art because I make so many mistakes that the entire paper becomes a dark shade of grey ;; By the way, the colors look very vibrant! Everything always ends up looking extremely dull when I paint ;v;; Do you have any advice for newbie painters?

Wowza! You're incredibly talented! I've always strayed away from traditional art because I make so many mistakes that the entire paper becomes a dark shade of grey ;; By the way, the colors look very vibrant! Everything always ends up looking extremely dull when I paint ;v;; Do you have any advice for newbie painters?

Thank you! =) Yes I do have some advice I can give you.
Colours in paintings can end up looking dull for a few reasons. The first one is that you may not be changing your paint water enough. Dirty paint water is often a mixture of multiple pigments and will give the colours you use a greyer/browner tone that you do not want. It could also be from mixing your paints too much. If you mix too many pigments together it'll result in brown/grey colours. Lastly it could also be the quality of the paint you use. For example if you use student grade paints the manufacturers often end up filling half the tube with junk and the other with pigment. The result of this is dull looking colours, you can fix this by buying artist grade painting materials.

EDIT- I just noticed now that you were asking about painting in general. Oops! :'D
Could you possibly be more specific about what you would like to know about painting?

Last edited:
Goodness, I love your art! It's so imaginative and the contrast in colours is wonderful, it reminds me of those old European illustrations like the Moomins. I hope you don't mind me watching you on dA, I'd love to see more from you. <3

Goodness, I love your art! It's so imaginative and the contrast in colours is wonderful, it reminds me of those old European illustrations like the Moomins. I hope you don't mind me watching you on dA, I'd love to see more from you. <3

Thank you!! I am aiming for an illustrative style so I'm glad you made that connection. =D
I don't mind at all, in fact thank you for watching me! I'm flattered.

Oh my GOSH your style is gorgeous!! I love how organic yet clean everything is!!
ART GOALS (☆ω☆*)

Last edited:
Back