• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Which 3DS games you regret buying?

Didn't buy it, but I kind of regret picking Mario Golf: World Tour over a digital copy of New Leaf during that Club Nintendo offer. Wasn't a bad game, but I'd probably get more out of NL.

majora's mask 3d and link between worlds
the first because I can still play it on my beloved CRT tv with his bright textures (that they totally washed away here but why?
now locations like the observatory are more dull without their acid rainbow palette this game was great also for his twisted atmosfere like fever dream! )
the second because basically is a link to the past 1.5 great game but I already played it

Last edited:
Super Paper Mario Sticker Star. Bought it recently because I've always loved the SPM games and thought it would be good. I was wrong.

Most of my digital download things. Pok?mon Yellow aged bad and, well probably one of the more overrated games in the series. Also Pikachu really suck as a starter and you have to focus too much on training up other Pok?mon. And they removed the Mew glitch :c

Code of Princess or whatever the game's name was. I've yet to play a really good fighting game on a console, most are too small for it. I prefer playing those on arcade machine... not slamming buttons randomly like that.

Myst. The most pathetic port I have ever played in my life. Complete shame to the original.

Fantasy Life. It's cute and a decent time waster, but my god, the cutscenes take forever and there is entirely too much text. I got frustrated by the amount of times the game stopped me from doing things or limited me just for the sake of a bland story.

A 3DS game that I regret purchasing was called Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven. I only bought the game because I needed a new 3DS game to play since I don't always like playing games that I've already beaten/completed. When I was playing the game.... It got boring at times and made it difficult for me to keep playing until the end. The only things I liked about the game was the battle system and the voice acting. Those were the things that helped me stick to the game without calling it quits. Though... I do wished they had more voice acting in the game and better item drop rates.

If I hadn't purchased the game then I might have gotten Pokemon Sun/Moon or Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia or Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns. But... I guess I could wait for prices to go down a bit before attempting to buy one of them.

Overall, I did buy the game that I regretted for a slightly low price. So... I guess it wasn't too bad. I can always replay some of favorite games that I've beaten to erase that regret of that purchase. I need to make a note to myself to not make this kind of purchases again. Lots of games I like and want are so expensive... :T

Last edited:
Codename STEAM. It's not really bad, just the formula (Fire Emblem-esque) doesn't go with 3D environments. It also starts off really hard at first and the tutorial sucked. I still own it though.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Most of my digital download things. Pok?mon Yellow aged bad and, well probably one of the more overrated games in the series. Also Pikachu really suck as a starter and you have to focus too much on training up other Pok?mon. And they removed the Mew glitch :c

Code of Princess or whatever the game's name was. I've yet to play a really good fighting game on a console, most are too small for it. I prefer playing those on arcade machine... not slamming buttons randomly like that.

Actually, they didn't remove the Mew glitch! :D If you're talking about the one where you use teleport near the Nugget Bridge when a trainer pings you (and you narrowly escape the battle by pressing pause and using teleport), it's still there! I have a Mew because of it, but I'm going to assume you can't transfer it to PokeBank.

Codename STEAM. It's not really bad, just the formula (Fire Emblem-esque) doesn't go with 3D environments. It also starts off really hard at first and the tutorial sucked. I still own it though.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Actually, they didn't remove the Mew glitch! :D If you're talking about the one where you use teleport near the Nugget Bridge when a trainer pings you (and you narrowly escape the battle by pressing pause and using teleport), it's still there! I have a Mew because of it, but I'm going to assume you can't transfer it to PokeBank.

Yeah bad phrasing, but in the Yellow version it was "discovered" kinda and you can't do the trick because you can't get stuff provided in Yellow. I know you can do in the other ones though.

Like quite a good number of players, I've got some 3DS titles that I regret purchasing. Let's see...

Tomodachi Life

The game's premise has me hooked for a few weeks, but it lacks substantial content to even justify the reduced price of $29.99 CAD. It's not helped by the fact it's designed to be played with a few minutes to spare, therefore limiting its long-term appeal.

Mario Party: Island Tour

Being a mostly solo gamer, its single-player content feels like a more inefficient way to play more mini-games. Most of the mini-games are solid, but they rarely appear during any given board. This is inexcusable, since most of the main boards are also far from being memorable.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

My brother suggested this game for me, and I went ahead purchasing it. I spent a few minutes of gameplay and never looked back since then. I think it has to do with the game being too slow-paced for an action game, which is mainly due of the movements being so sluggish.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

If it wasn't for a crash course on how to not design an adventure game, then this derivative installment would easily disappoint me. Just to mention a few of the most prevalent issues with the game that impacted my whole experience, 99% of characters are devoid of personality, the sticker mechanic just doesn't fit with the usually easygoing and light-hearted vibe Paper Mario is known for, the solutions for puzzles and boss fights are often cryptic and has you resort a walkthrough.

Pok?mon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

The game itself isn't bad by all means. It's just that the text scrolls to an incredibly slow speed, and that I'm not really fond of the randomly-generated dungeons that tend to be bland by design. These two problems render the game more tedious than I would've cared to endure.

Yeah I never got into the MH games. Tried 3U and 4U or whatever the 3ds ports are called, but yeah the button controlling, annoying camera and indeed it was pretty slow and graphically a bit messy didn't make it for me. Wish it could be more clean, like God Eater games or PSO or stuff, idk. I just could think of so many ways to get it better.

And that Dragon Quest game they released last year, unless I mentioned it already. I hated that you had to travel back and forth all the time and yah for that kind of RPG it was bad.

Well a few days ago, I bought Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 2 on the EShop for 5 dollars each. I thought they were the game where you go through worlds and defeat monsters and Bowser and rescue Peach but no, one was a pipe game where you just try to not get hit by those flying turtle things who name I forgot and the other was some kind of weird game in which there was a door I couldn't go through. That was 10 dollars wasted.

I also kind of, but not totally, regret buying The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. It's not a bad game but it's not a game where you can figure stuff out on your own without having to look up walkthroughs. I'm a gamer who prefers to try to figure out stuff on my own without relying on walkthroughs but Ocarina of Time, unfortunately it's not easy to do that.

Last edited:
Hyrule Warriors Legends for sure.

It isn't the gameplay that I didn't like, but that was about all I did like. I have over 800 hours on the Wii U version, and my entire Youtube channel is dedicated to the game. And of course because of that, people suggested that I get Legends. People hyped it up to be this "ultimate defining version that is better than the Wii U version in every way with no downsides." Spoiler alert: it isn't.
Instead you get this hideous looking game that is barely functioning (I was using a New 3DS). A Warriors game that can only handle like 20 enemies on screen at once isn't a Warriors game. "Oh but you still need to get 1,200 KO's for an A rank! How will you ever accomplish that now?" Instead of fixing the requirements to meet what the system can handle, they introduce something that single-handedly breaks the game and removes any difficulty that it had before (oh yeah they made the game so much easier in a ton of ways too lol. The biggest complaint from people who don't want to try the games is that you can mindlessly mash buttons to play the game. That isn't true for other Warriors games, but it actually is true in Legends.) Meet fairy magic. With a single press of a button you can instantly kill everything in a 5 mile radius, including enemies that haven't loaded yet. So basically you press the button and get a free 500 KO's. And you can do this multiple times. With the right build you can effectively spam this endlessly without needing to do any real fighting. Oh but there's more, they also have special abilities. You can instantly repair your base to full health if you weren't paying attention to defending it (even though you have 3 CHARACTERS NOW JUST HAVE 1 OF THEM BABYSIT THE BASE, YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO RUN ACROSS THE MAP TO DO THAT ANYMORE), giving you permanent focus spirit (for those who don't play the game, imagine Lucario in Smash 4 with his final smash or max aura active indefinitely), and more!
So about those other ways the game is easier? Yeah, enemies have less health and deal less damage all across the board, on all missions and difficulties. Level 4 weapons were introduced (which effectively gives a level 1 character more strength than a level 99 character with a level 1 weapon lmfao). Then Level 4+ weapons were added. Missions were straight-up made easier with less enemies and easier objectives. Heart Power or whatever the skill is called makes you 1 shot everything.

I put in about 25 hours which should be more than enough to judge the game and I haven't touched it for almost a year.

I'm not too keen in Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels, also Pokemon Battle Trozei.

Last edited:
Paper Mario Sticker Star - Paper mario was my favorite mario series when I was younger so hearing this was coming out excited me then let me down when I got it 2 minutes in, I know fast time to judge a game but I really set my hopes up.

Luigis Manson Dark Moon - Again I loved the first game and I hyped the 3ds one so much I was pretty let down but I did complete it unlike sticker star and kinda enjoyed it. Just not what I expected and I could've lived without buying it and just watching a playthrough of the game on youtube.

Pet Zombies - First 3ds game when the 3ds was fairly new. I honestly don't know why I liked it so much for the first week now looking back years later.

Pokemon Rumble Blast was a waste of 40 bucks.

I also got Paper Mario Sticker Star, but I actually have to say that I liked it despite all the negative feedback it gets.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Fantasy Life. It's cute and a decent time waster, but my god, the cutscenes take forever and there is entirely too much text. I got frustrated by the amount of times the game stopped me from doing things or limited me just for the sake of a bland story.

I can also in part agree to this, I didn't like the main story but the game itself is fun.

Don't even get me started on Zero Time Dilemma. It had an interesting premise, you have a group of about 9 people and only 3 people are allowed to escape, everyone else must die, and your actions affect the game play. Okay, sounds cool. I buy it. The storyline makes no sense at all and is completely disjointed. It doesn't matter if the scenario turns out one way, because sometimes you have to keep playing it until the other way happens. Not only that but it also has these "escape the room" sequences every room and I HATE THAT. Literally thinking about the game makes me mad, I haven't played it in months. That was $40 wasted. I might play it again with a walkthrough just to finish the damn thing.

Back