• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Best to worst Animal Crossing Games

1. New Leaf
2. City Folk (my first acnl game so totally based on nostalgia)
3. Happy Home Designer
4. Wild World
5. GameCube One (Now I haven't played either Wild World or the original GameCube game, but I remember watching an old friend play Wild World so that's why I put WW 4th and GameCube 5th.)
6. Amiibo Fest. (Tbh I only got this game for the exclusive Digby amiibo)

1. New Leaf
2. Happy Home Designer
3. Population Growing
4. Wild World

I've never played City Folk or amiibo Festival. I'd probably rank City Folk above amiibo Festival, though. I'm actually a huge fan of HHD, as I love the idea of it, but it gets a little repetitive and I've put waaay more hours into NL.

1. NL. The changes in this game where phenomenal, the amount of town customization, the first time furniture could be customized, the first time you could customize your outfit to be more than just a dress/t-shirt (I could finally dress my female character in a cute pair of pants and a sweater for winter <3) oh and the first time you could cross-dress. Villagers do so many more things now (actually visit shops, drop by randomly, etc.) and that still doesn't cover it.
2. GC. For some reason this game has something special to it that hasn't been replicated since, I can't quite put my finger on it. I love the personalities of the villagers, all the little events where the villagers actively participate (like the sporting one), the tedious errands, the whole aesthetic of it with the gyroid by the house and idk it just makes me happy to play this game.
3. Wild World. Okay, I admit this game hasn't aged well but still it added a lot to the series. Wi-Fi, villager pictures, no faraway museum, hats and hairstyles and a lot more. Portable for the first time too, I think Animal Crossing is the best when it's portable. Oh the golden axe trading event! That's fun! :D
4. HHD. It's not my cup of tea but I can't deny it's really well made and it deserves to be above the next two games.
5. CF. The city was basically a cluster of characters already in the animal crossing series and it was basically a nicer looking Wild World without the dialogue. CF was the point in the series where the villager dialogue went downhill. :( I appreciated Label's story though that was nice. Also nice that it brought back a lot of things from the GC version: the holidays, the ramps, the houses no longer being shared, etc. So really it's not a bad game at all, it just didn't really add much to the series. :)
6. AF. Enough said.

Last edited:
(Tbh I only got this game for the exclusive Digby amiibo)

Me too. I got it for both Isabelle and Digby. Good thing I never got rid of them since the ACNL update used them.

Last edited:
1 new leaf
2 animal crossing (gc)

ww and cc are just bland and totally skippable
ww was stripped of all the great events
and cf was just a remake without soul rather than a whole new game in the series to me

hhd is just a spinoff cute but short that would be intersting as a new game option or as a little digital dowload with a 5 euros (or dollars) price tag

Last edited:
1) New Leaf: It took a lot of what I loved about the GameCube game and improved upon it. Public Works Projects and Town Ordinances add customization to your town. The addition of Smug and Uchi villagers, and other new villagers, was great. Keeping things like Kicks and Shampoodle's, as well as the addition of the island, are also much appreciated. The recent update has also breathed new life into the game. Definitely the strongest game this franchise has put out as far as I'm concerned, and the next main series installment will have a lot to live up to.

2) Population: Growing! (GameCube): I have fond memories of playing this as a kid with my best friend. It still holds up and has some things that make it unique, like the dump, the four player houses in the middle of town, and morning aerobics. As has been stated earlier, the dialogue did seem quite varied and the personalities had a distinctness to them that has kind of faded away. Cranky villagers in this, for example, seemed a lot more Cranky than they do in New Leaf. There are also those poor unfortunate few villagers who didn't make the transition to New Leaf even with the update bringing some of the previously omitted villagers back. Overall a quality game.

3) Happy Home Designer: I don't own or want this game, but the premise is at least interesting.

4) Wild World: I never actually played this, so I don't have much to say about it.

5) City Folk: This game was a massive disappointment and I've never been able to force myself to play it for extended periods of time. It's simply not an enjoyable experience for me. I haven't touched it in some time, but from recollection, it seemed too restrictive and it seemed like the villagers repeated themselves a lot.

6) amiibo Festival: I see this as nothing but a cash grab that I had no interest in. I'm mildly interested in maybe picking up Blathers and Celeste amiibo sometime since I like owls, but even that wouldn't convince me to waste money on this game.

Last edited:
1. New Leaf
2. GCN
3. Wild World
10. City Folk

Yes, I dislike City Folk that much. It's such a watered-down game, it's even more watered down than the DS Wild World game in many aspects. It's obvious that the developers did not care with City Folk. It's a bad game.

Wild World gains some respect because despite being down a notch from the GCN version in many cases, a lot of new features were added that I wouldn't want to do without again.

The GCN version will probably always be my personal favorite, but New Leaf is a better game and there is no debating that. If New Leaf had been released back when I was 13, I have no doubt I would have been just as obsessed with it as I was with the GCN version.

I excluded HHD and AF from this list because they are spin-off games. I can not and will not compare them to the mainline AC series. That's not fair to them. I will not shy from saying that HHD is a great spin-off and I had a lot of fun with it. I didn't play Amiibo Festival because I had absolutely no interest in it.

1. new leaf
2. afe+
3. wild world
4. city folk/lets go to the city
5. animal forest
6. happy home designer
7. amiibo festival

Yes, I dislike City Folk that much. It's such a watered-down game, it's even more watered down than the DS Wild World game in many aspects. It's obvious that the developers did not care with City Folk. It's a bad game.

It is after all Wild World with grass decay. I'll be disappointed if AC Switch followed that path.

Wild World gains some respect because despite being down a notch from the GCN version in many cases, a lot of new features were added that I wouldn't want to do without again.

I agree that Wild World did turn AC around by adding new features. But while it added cool stuff, some stuff (like holidays) were removed. I can never forget La-di Day or Yay Day.

I'd have to order them like so:

1. New Leaf
2. GCN
3. Wild World
4. HHD
5. Amiibo Festival
6. City Folk

I never played City Folk, despite actually having a Wii as my first console... hence it's low rank. Amiibo festival is not great, but I like the minigames of it. I didn't play much of Wild World, but what I did get I really enjoyed, even more than what I've enjoyed about Happy Home Designer so far. The gamecube edition holds nostalgia as my first animal crossing game, I love it and wish I coult play it more often, and with other people. But New Leaf is what I now play the most, as the 3DS is so portable and easy to use with multiplayer, both in local play with my siblings and online with the forum trading and such.

1. New Leaf
2. Animal Crossing
3. CF/WW

Can't really list the 2 spin-offs, since I haven't played them.

I placed CF and WW on par with each other because I think one is weak where the other is strong.
WW had much more interesting villagers, who actually lived up to their personality styles... Crankies were really cranky until you befriended them, and snooties were snooty. But no festivals...

CF had festivals, but the villagers were... disappointing. Too much repetition in dialogue and act like you're their best friend from the get-go.

While NL is my favourite, I still miss much of the villager interaction from WW. Even more than in CF you're pretty much their best friend from day 1, and there isn't much of a difference between the personality types.

Oh well.

Last edited:
I have Happy Home Designer, and I don't enjoy it much. My daughter likes it, though.

I couldn't even play City Folk. I found the controls with the Wii remote too uncomfortable. Not in general, just with that game in particular. I did fine with other Wii titles.

Soo...top 3 for me...

1) New Leaf
2) Wild World
3) Original

1) New Leaf
2) HHD - Im really into interior design so I'm obsessed with this.
3) Wild World
4) City Folk

I can't rate the other two as I've never played them - the Game Cube version came out when my parents thought I was too young to play video games and I don't own a Wii U and wouldn't get it solely for amiibo festival, so there's that.

1. New Leaf
2. Wild World (but im still triggered cause my sibling deleted my game save file I have been working on for 2 years. TOT)
3. HHD
4.Amiibo Festival (gawd that was so awful)

I just recently received city folk, but I don't have time to play it. Maybe I will play once I get back home during break. I will maybe do an update.

1. New Leaf - I haven't been playing it for very long, but it already seems to be superior to the other games, I love all of the new features (island, campground, main street, mayor etc), nicer graphics and depth that has been added to it.
2. Wild World - purely out of nostalgia, my first AC game. I played it all of the time when I was younger, I have since lost my game card along with my old DS though :(
3. Happy Home Designer - I love this game! Different from the others, but so entertaining and also has lots of things to unlock and do.
4. City Folk - It is just like WW with smoother graphics, plus the 'city' and non-portable, however that being said, it was the first time I played online with people and I made a bunch of friends on there - had lots of fun in terms of that and played for a while, but I immediately ditched it when Nintendo discontinued wifi for the game. I recently went back to have a look around my old town out of curiosity, I can't get over how weird all of the squashed down characters look compared to NL lmao!

I have never played the other games, though I managed to purchase the original GameCube version for a good price! So I will be having a go on that soon, and I've only heard bad things about Amiibo Festival lol.

Last edited:
UPDATE: This thread bothers me, no offence. Anyway, I've recently got Happy Home Designer and I played and I feel like I'm the only one who likes it. Sure, it may get boring after a while but it's a spin-off game. I mean heck, even the main-series games can get a little boring after a while. My rating of this game changed from 'okay' to 'good'. Also, sorry if I came off very negative in my original comment, especially when I mentioned Wild World (don't worry, I still like it).

I'm only gonna include the ones I've played.
1) AC:NL
2) AC:WW
3) AC:CF (it's not that the game was bad, but I really didn't like how it wasn't portable. It made it really hard for me to keep track of my town and stuff)

1. AC e+ - It improves upon the original in several ways
2. AC:GC/N64 - Between the GCN and N64 version, I've put so much of my life into them, it has no multiplayer, but that never bothered me
3. AC:NL - So many new features, it just never kept me reeled in as long as AC:GC
4. AC:CF - SOOOOO many memories playing with friends on CF, sure the villagers may be a tad bland, but I like the city, and spent so much time using Wifi
5. AC:WW - I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I was never fond of WW, the only things it really had going for it was that the villagers had slightly better personalities, and Yay Day xD

Never played the two spin-off games, but they don't really interest me

1. New Leaf - the most current & well rounded game. The one I'd chooseto play first & foremost. (could use a lot of things tho) It really just speaks for itself IMO

2. Wild World - Had the best dialogue & most personality by far. Cute+nostalgic graphics/music. First handheld!!!! It lacked a lot like holidays etc.. but being put out in the early 2000's, this game was REALLY good for its time. I think it is THE most vibrant game personality wise. and the Social aspect of playing easily with your friends for the first time was great. The graphics aged terribly, but I think they are very pixel-y & nostalgic. Also has the best music in the series imo. I still play on my 3DS from time to time just for fun & to chill out n not worry about PWP's or anything.

3. Gamecube versions - Classic, also had more personality. Many prefer it to ACWW.

4. City Folk - Large world, added villagers & cute mechanics/features. Graphics weren't too much of a step up from ACWW, though. VERY Bland compared to all other games imo.

5. HHD - Great new functions & furniture & is simple/fun, but has little reward as a stand alone video game. Gets very repetitive after a while, and I doubt I'll ever really have much of a reason to play it again after I got "used" to it.

6. not even gonna really count amiibo festival. Not really an AC game IMO.

Last edited:
Back