• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you prefer 3ds or 3ds XL?

The 3ds xl for it's amiibo built-in compatibility, me and my bf both have one. But looks-wise I really like the 3ds cause of the cover plates! I wish they would have inputted that in the 3ds xl!

Definitely the XL by far. I upgraded from an old original 3DS to a N3DSXL and I was absolutely astonished by the increase in screen size. It's fantastic, though the custom plates for the regular are really cool too.

XL. Personally I don't think I could see myself being able to go to a normal 3DS. When I tried my mum's it just felt too small holding. The XL has much nicer proportions (at least for my hands).

I find the XL more comfortable and I prefer the screen size. Love the faceplates on the 3ds though.

I have huge hands so XL works better, but I like the small one too. Just because it's cute.

I greatly prefer the standard 3DS model size over the 3DS XL. I've never found the standard 3DS to be too small for my hands, and I prefer the smaller screen. Everything looks too stretched out on an XL, and as such I don't see the appeal of having it just because the screen is bigger.

I prefer the regular 3ds. The screen looks so huge on the XL and it doesn't look like something that would fit in your pocket. What is the point of a handheld if it is too big to carry around? I am bummed about not having an amiibo reader, but I will probably just buy the adapter.

People keep mentioning they like the regular 3DS size because of their hand size, but my hands are the smallest out of people I know, and I prefer the XL models, haha. Maybe I'm just weird.

I can't deal with a smaller screen size after the XL has spoiled me, though.

Also, I have small girl pockets. Even a normal 3DS wouldn't fit in there, so I don't care about pockets (That, and I'm always carrying a big purse).

Last edited:
:Y I've only ever had the XL..so I can't really comment too much. But I will say playing with one hand is tiring sometimes.

I prefer the xl over the regular now. I use both once in a while. After being used to holding the xl the regular ds feels smaller in my hands and now the small screen bothers me and I never thought the difference was that much? I have child hands but I prefer to hold the xl more.

I prefer the larger screens with the XL, as my vision isn't as good as I'd like it to be. The larger screens make me feel like I can see everything, as opposed to the smaller screens where I feel I'm holding it really close to my face. The XL is also easier for me to hold; sure, I miss out on the interchangeable face plates, but I'm all good with that. I got the New Nintendo 3DS XL Fire Emblem version (black/white) as a gift from a friend and it's so cool!

3ds XL, the old ones. Mostly because they had the best LE consoles, and I prefer the thinner, sleek design and shapes of the actual console rather than the other thick, more square ones.

3DS because it's smaller but if I ever had to replace my 3DS I'll definitely be getting that galaxy 3DSXL

Back