Have you ever NOT wanted a certain neighbor because of their popularity?

I try to avoid the very popular villagers. I really prefer most in teir 3 and 4. I like when towns have unexpected villagers so I try to do the same with my town.

Unfortunately, all my dreamies are tier 1/2. But I don't feel bad about not being unique. And actually, with all my amiibo cards, I can easily switch my villagers out if I decided to have more diverse and unpopular ones. For example, I've had Hazel before and I really loved her. If her house wasn't in a terrible spot, I would have kept her! Now I have her card so if I ever decided to get her back, I can. I don't have to feel bad about my choices because of how easy it now is to change up your villagers! ^_^

The only problem I have with "popular" villagers is trying to buy their specific amiibo cards online. I will not pay $30 for Marshal because he's "top tier", that's utterly ridiculous.

Other than that- nah. 99% of the time I'm working on my town for me, not for others. If I happen to have all popular villagers then that's my choice, if someone else has less-desired villagers then that's theirs. I like to think we're all left to our own devices on what to do with our towns as it should be and no judgement should be called.

I only have a few villagers that are popular (Julian and Bob), but I really hate having characters that everyone else has. Like Marshal, he was interesting before but now I just don't like him because everyone seems to obsess over him. That's why I loved Kidd, he wasn't that popular but I still thought he was my favorite dreamie.

Marshal... but, then again, I have Stitches in my town, and I love him because of his design, but I'd rather not get badgered about having Marshal if it came down to it ("Can I have him?" "Will you trade him?" etc.).

Nope. I really don't care who is popular and who isn't, because liking or disliking a villager only because of their popularity seems shallow to me. I'll like whoever I want, popular or not.

Last edited:
I used to not want Marshal at all, primarily because he was so popular and therefore hard to get (even on the forums bc I didn't have millions of bells to spend). But now that amiibo cards are here and people often pay in TBT, I decided to try having Marshal in my town and I actually really like him now :)

Nope. Never. Overrated doesn't bother me at all unless people mention it EVERYWHERE (like a certain horror game containing animatronics). I even have Bob in all of my towns besides e+, but that's because he was one of my starter villagers in my very first town so at least I have a good reason to like him instead of liking him just because everyone else likes him. Same thing goes with Mitzi and Tangy. I really like Rosie because she was one of my favourite characters in the movie (I didn't even knew that people liked her that much until looking it up on the internet).

Nah. Stitches is my main. Hopefully I'll be able to get him over my spring break when I actually have wifi.

For me, the popularity doesn't matter. Whitney is popular because she's a white wolf. Merengue is popular because she's a frickin' strawberry shortcake. It really doesn't feel like the reason they're popular is any reason other than they have really good designs. If I like that design? They're in my towns.

Some of the designs I like happen to be lower tier, as well. Agnes is a really cute pig, Drago is a dragon, and Pashmina grew on me with a decent design and an adorable personality. I think we make our own connections to each villager. Design is a part of it, but it's not all of it.

Ehhh, if I dislike certain villagers, it's usual because of their design, personality, and/or furniture. Some of the villagers I don't want just happened to be popular, but it's moreover a coincidence really ?\_(ツ)_/?

Not at all. Before I joined this website, I literally just looked at a list of villagers and picked the 10 most that I liked (while having at least 1 of each personality type).

It just so happened that a lot of them were more or less popular when I came on here, but I lot of villagers I like aren't too popular! I'm actually surprised ones like Gladys and Eunice are tier 5s, they're super cute :c

My preferences change around a lot, too, and my villagers have changed as well! A lot of villagers are popular for good reason as well, for they're creatively deisgned and quite unique. (Like Tia and Merengue, or others with cool lore such as Coco)

Read through some of the responses here and I see mentions of tiers and I'm not sure what that's all about. I don't really care if a villager is "popular" or not. It only matters if I like the villager. Example, Diana is cute and all but I don't really feel an urge to have her in my town.

Honestly, especially with the WA villagers, I completely disregard popularity. Don't let other people's superficial opinions on a villager (or a lot of things in life really) sway your decisions if your making them in right conscience.

I currently have Julian in my town (he moved in randomly so I was really surprised) but I don't really see his appeal apart from being the only unicorn in the game he's not that amazing in my eyes

I used to not want anything to do with Stitches but he was a starter in my town and now I'm crazy about him. Same with Merengue.
Someday I will let them go specifically because they are so popular though.

I don't care about popularity. Some villagers I like happen to be popular, while others are lower tier. But I like them because of their designs as well as nostalgia reasons. Popularity has never been a motivation for how I feel about a villager.

Well I like villagers depending on their personality and how they look like, not popularity much. For example Prince might not be as popular as the other lazys.. (I dont have him anymore cuz he moved out without telling me ;-;) I also have Bob, Lolly, and Stitches who are popular I think. They're cute so I keep them. However I do feel lucky having popular villagers because a lot more people get to have them too With the cuteness and eeahhh yeah

Back