Ever been disappointed in a game's ending?

Zenxolu

‘08 Gaiaonline Veteran!
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
First time I played Fallout 4, went with the Brotherhood of Steel because I thought they were the same as in fallout 3. Oh how dreadfully wrong I was, Elder Maxson's nature just completely demolished my stance of the BoS. Ever since I beat the game, I've been wanting to restart the game and I have.

Elder Maxson is Xenophobic and Homicidal man. Fallout 3's elder Lyons was more in my favor!

According to the fallout Wiki
But Elder Owyn Lyons had another priority, one he considered more important than his original directive or any orders received since; the protection of the innocent people of the Capital Wasteland. And so, Lyons sent word to his superiors that he would continue his search for technology when he was damned good and ready, and would not sacrifice the people who had come to rely on the bravery and strength of the Brotherhood of Steel.

This really impacted in good way, i mean if you have the technology and firepower for it why not save the people of the wastes?

Maxson on the other hand is the complete opposite and I despise the man's existence in the game. When I beat the game, I felt truly unsatisfied with my play through.

Last edited:
Dragon Age: Inquisition's ending (not including the Trespasser DLC epilogue) was possibly the most anti-climactic climax I've ever experienced. You spend the whole game gaining resources, gaining loyalty, making seemingly huge important choices, choosing certain powerful alliances over others, and yet none of the consequences from all your hard work actually make any difference for the final fight. What the heck. You could literally make your Inquisitor be the biggest arse in the world, and that wouldn't change the ending at all, save for perhaps some companions who'd leave. It feels like all the choices they had us make were just setting up for the next game in the series. That's all well and good, but for the love of heck, give us something more immediate that makes it all feel worthwhile. That's what made Dragon Age: Origins so good. You experienced the consequences of your choices. The decisions carrying over to the next game felt like a bonus, but not the purpose of making those decisions.

I've heard Assassin's Creed Syndicate's ending is bad. Haven't finished the game yet but I guess we'll see.

I am wondering: do endings make or break a game for you guys?

I normally try not to let disappointing endings tarnish the overall experience of a game for me. If I enjoy the bulk of a game even with a bad ending, I'll still like the game. I still like DA:I and I've been enjoying Assassin's Creed Syndicate so far even though I'm prepared for a disappointing ending.

Dragon Age: Inquisition's ending (not including the Trespasser DLC epilogue) was possibly the most anti-climactic climax I've ever experienced. You spend the whole game gaining resources, gaining loyalty, making seemingly huge important choices, choosing certain powerful alliances over others, and yet none of the consequences from all your hard work actually make any difference for the final fight. What the heck. You could literally make your Inquisitor be the biggest arse in the world, and that wouldn't change the ending at all, save for perhaps some companions who'd leave. It feels like all the choices they had us make were just setting up for the next game in the series. That's all well and good, but for the love of heck, give us something more immediate that makes it all feel worthwhile. That's what made Dragon Age: Origins so good. You experienced the consequences of your choices. The decisions carrying over to the next game felt like a bonus, but not the purpose of making those decisions.

I've heard Assassin's Creed Syndicate's ending is bad. Haven't finished the game yet but I guess we'll see.

I am wondering: do endings make or break a game for you guys?

I normally try not to let disappointing endings tarnish the overall experience of a game for me. If I enjoy the bulk of a game even with a bad ending, I'll still like the game. I still like DA:I and I've been enjoying Assassin's Creed Syndicate so far even though I'm prepared for a disappointing ending.

This seems to be like a very quiet gimmick going on in the video game industry, take for example Fallout 3's Karma system. Good,Bad, or Neutral all of them had a consequence in some way. And if you stick by your nature the game follows up on it and decribes it in the ending.

I'm starting to suspect that developers are just getting too lazy.

I remember being disappointed with the ending of Luigi's Mansion, now one of my favourite games of all time. When I first played it I thought that we would get to go inside the new mansion you get at the end, but nope. I like games that you can play over and over again, and I think that's the only thing that game lacked.

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest and Paper Mario Color Splash are the 2 I can think of at the immediate moment.

If a game has a bad ending it does leave a bad taste, but that alone won't make me dislike a game. I still love Color Splash and honestly the bad ending is the only major problem I have with it. Music is a much bigger factor for me and that alone can make or break a game personally.

And after typing this I just remembered Final Fantasy XIII-2's ending. That was completely awful lol

This seems to be like a very quiet gimmick going on in the video game industry, take for example Fallout 3's Karma system. Good,Bad, or Neutral all of them had a consequence in some way. And if you stick by your nature the game follows up on it and decribes it in the ending.

I'm starting to suspect that developers are just getting too lazy.

Fallout is one of those series that I've been meaning to play but haven't gotten around to it, so I can't compare. Dragon Age is made by BioWare, who are known for their immersive worlds and roleplaying, including morality and/or companion loyalty/disloyalty/romances etc. They're usually pretty darn good at not making it gimmicky. And it wasn't necessarily gimmicky in DA:I. The choices your character makes have a lot of impact on the fictional world and its history and lore, so the next games will be impacted quite a bit by those choices, but they just do absolutely nothing for the in-game campaign, unlike the previous games. Like why did I just do all that if any choice would have brought me the same outcome. ?\_(ツ)_/? Yeah I guess it was a bit of a ball drop. But I'm still excited for the next game in the series.

lowkey tloz:twilight princess bc the boss fight at the end was the easiest but it's still my fav zelda game

zero time dilemma, zero escape is my fav series of all time but the ending of the last game was just. bad.

I was a little disappointed in the Bioshock Infinite ending. It was REALLY confusing. It's hard to pull off those alternate dimensions stories without confusing your consumer in the process. The ending to Halo 4 wasn't good either.

I was a little disappointed in the Bioshock Infinite ending. It was REALLY confusing. It's hard to pull off those alternate dimensions stories without confusing your consumer in the process. The ending to Halo 4 wasn't good either.

Well I wouldn't know about Halo because i haven't played it, the only game I can speak for is Bioshock Infinite. The game really didn't feel like a bioshock game, i mean rapture was a pretty good setting for the previous games.

Last edited:
Skyrim's ending felt a bit lackluster to me. It's not the setting, nothing, just how easy it seemed to me to beat Alduin.

The journey through Sovngarde, the setting of the final fight, is amazing.
Through a mystic fog that Alduin had created to make the Nords whom rest in Sovngarde feel uneasy and to make them lose their way.
You make your way through said fog to find yourself at the Hall of Valor, where the great and valiant heroes of Skyrim forever rest. There you meet the great Nordic heroes whom had originally sealed Alduin away in time using the Elder Scroll. You talk to them, you fight with them, and it feels amazing... until you realize that..

The fight was incredibly lackluster. You've played through the game, you've gained a ton of good weaponry and armour, and you have a shout that can basically cripple dragons from using the one thing that makes them very powerful; flight, their ability to fly is chained and demolished by Dragonrend for a short period of time.

Mass Effect 3. All that buildup and it didn't matter in the end. It was so terrible BioWare felt the need to tweak it with a free patch...I'm currently replaying the series but I'm skeptical that even a patch can fix that massive trainwreck. Haven't played 3 since launch, so at least there's DLC I can go through. Left such a bad taste in my mouth I didn't want to touch the game again. Here's to hoping it's not as **** now...

Last edited:
Yoshi's New Island had a sorry ending. While I did love the simplicity of the game (since I'm not that good at video games), the final boss was just dumb. The original Yoshi's Island had an awesome final boss fight; you had to throw big red eggs at the shadowy baby bowser while dodging rocks and listening to awesome music. Yoshi's New Island's final boss has sorry music and repetitive, easy to dodge attacks. When you beat Baby Bowser, this happens (and I quote), "Suddenly, warping through space and time, Bowser appears!" Then you fight big Bowser, which is practically the same fight, and the credits roll. You get Luigi back, the stork takes them to the parents, blah blah blah. What I did like about the ending was that it revealed the pipe that was helping you out through the journey to be Mario himself, which is confusing since you play with Baby Mario on your back through the entire game, but I find it pretty cool.

Last edited:
Disney Universe.
Why did my older brother even get me this?
Instead of getting a boss battle at the end like you would want since there's a villain, you have to hear the villain sing It's a Small World.

First time I played Fallout 4, went with the Brotherhood of Steel because I thought they were the same as in fallout 3. Oh how dreadfully wrong I was, Elder Maxson's nature just completely demolished my stance of the BoS. Ever since I beat the game, I've been wanting to restart the game and I have.

Elder Maxson is Xenophobic and Homicidal man. Fallout 3's elder Lyons was more in my favor!

According to the fallout Wiki

This really impacted in good way, i mean if you have the technology and firepower for it why not save the people of the wastes?

Maxson on the other hand is the complete opposite and I despise the man's existence in the game. When I beat the game, I felt truly unsatisfied with my play through.

I mean, Elder Lyons was not what the true Brotherhood of Steel is. They ARE xenophobic, the FO3 BoS was a breakaway from what they truly were, that's why there was the BoS remnants.

This. On so many levels. I swear to god. I even decided to download a mod outside of the Citadel DLC to give me a proper freaking ending. Because all that work? From all 3 games and it didn't amount to anything. I wanted my happy freaking ending with Garrus!

PSMD's post-game ending. Horribly executed. I will avoid spoilers for those who haven't played the game/haven't gotten there yet. I mean, how could they think of such a great twist at the end yet rush it post-game -.-

Yes! Every Legend of Zelda! Zelda why you no kids Link!? I get the one where they are siblings, but come on! Kiss your hero! :<

A few times unfortunately. A recent example I can think of is Zero Time Dilemma. Without spoiling anything, the ending doesn't answer most of the questions that was brought up from past games in the series, and the whole game felt meh compared to VLR and 999. Explains why the recent announcement of Nonary Games didn't include ZTD.

Another one would be Mystic Messenger. I prefer the story be left ambiguous like the normal ends, the true ends feels... weird? Trying too hard to be a mystery game while shining mostly on its romance aspect.

Also, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy. The ending felt rushed, since everything was explained at the last hour.

Coincidentally, all three examples I've mentioned used a new storytelling method/system that's new in the series/their games that didn't really work as well as they hoped. Really shows that the way you tell a story is important too.

Back