• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Ever been disappointed in a game's ending?

I have been quite disappointed in a video game ending before. One of which I recall was the ending to an older game my brother had called Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge. Basically the ending is this: you fight the main villain, only to notice that you didn't actually beat the main villain, and he manages to escape. Just to cap a difficult game.

I think he'd be really upset if he found out years ago, because I don't think he ever beat it.

Kirby Triple Deluxe : Meta Knightmare returns

I believe the last battle was kinda easy and after fighting Galacta Knight nothing happens, you just won and that's it

It would been good to see something like the last boss from the principal story mode :/

Transistor's ending will never not bother the heck out of me. so many people were moved by it, but it just made me really mad. worst ending..........

LISA the Joyful's vague ending disappointed me a bit. not tryna say it's bad... but... I dunno. I wanted more closure. instead, I just got a bunch of unanswered questions!!! OTL

goodness, I'm sure I'm forgetting something. wish I could remember whatever it was.

Last edited:
Zero Time Dilemma, the last game of the Zero Escape trilogy. Strangely, as the graphics "improved" and characters were given voice acting, I started liking the games less and less. The first game was amazing. The second game's story got a bit too convoluted for no reason other than to be too clever by half. And the third game... Just... Opened too many plot holes, too many last minute plot "twists" using mechanics that hadn't been mentioned until five minutes before, making the final result... Subpar? In the end, I wish more plot holes had been filled, and that the romance we were EXPLICITLY told would never happen... Didn't happen.

I will also admit to being disappointed by the secret endings for Star Ocean: The Last Hope. The ending itself made sense, but some of the secret endings were really terrible and made no sense.

Red Dead Redemption.

God damn it, I remember when I first went and beat the storyline and thinking to myself "Ugh, why did I think this would work out!?" while screaming profanities at my Xbox 360.

I can't think of another game that has done that too me, I'm sure that another game title will pop into my head later on tonight though.

Ending wise that comes to mind is Mass Effect 3's original (released) ending. There was so many things that happened in the final segment of the game that was just geniunely upsetting. I loved the other games, enjoyed making choices as Shepard, enjoyed getting into the lore and stuff but man if that ending didn't sour everything for it.

I didn't really like the ending for Life is Strange. It was very anti-climactic, especially if you choose the ending where you
save Chloe over the town.
Boo :(

I know it is kind of meant to be a risk as part of the theme of the backstabby vampires and their politics...but some of the endings in Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines are SO infuriating. Like...I won't spoil, but you go through a LOT of crap in this game, and some of the endings (multiple possibilities) just make you feel so bummed. Not because its a super sad ending, More because you are just so disappointed that that could be a thing. Some people liked that aspect though, so idk.

I think it's a bigger deal when you get one of those endings on your first playthrough.

Ending wise that comes to mind is Mass Effect 3's original (released) ending. There was so many things that happened in the final segment of the game that was just geniunely upsetting. I loved the other games, enjoyed making choices as Shepard, enjoyed getting into the lore and stuff but man if that ending didn't sour everything for it.

I replayed the entire trilogy recently and felt ME3 was much better with all its DLC. Though even with the patched ending it still left a bad taste in my mouth. Wish BioWare would have just confirmed the indoctrination theory, it would have been way more interesting. Oh well, it was a good game up until that point.

I didn't really like the ending for Life is Strange. It was very anti-climactic, especially if you choose the ending where you
save Chloe over the town.
Boo :(

Agreed... wasn't fond of either endings of Life is Strange.

Last edited:
I replayed the entire trilogy recently and felt ME3 was much better with all its DLC. Though even with the patched ending it still left a bad taste in my mouth. Wish BioWare would have just confirmed the indoctrination theory, it would have been way more interesting. Oh well, it was a good game up until that point.

That indoctrination theory was the only thing that made the ending feel less awful, but even then I just never want to go back to the world of Mass Effect. Guess it helps that Andromeda looks ugly.

That indoctrination theory was the only thing that made the ending feel less awful, but even then I just never want to go back to the world of Mass Effect. Guess it helps that Andromeda looks ugly.

Yeah I feel like it doesn't really have anymore stories to tell. Not very impressed by the gameplay trailers so far but I suspect I'll be buying it on launch day anyway. Just hope there's more enemies than giant robots. :p

Anyone who has played Life is Strange sorta knows why the game is disappointing.

Sleeping Dogs has a leveling system for ~both sides~ I tried really hard to stay on one side (not that there was ever any choice though) and only maxed out that side, but in the end it made no difference as there is only one ending.

MySims Agents' ending was definitely really underwhelming. Not that that was a masterpiece game, but it was good enough to deserve a real ending lol.

Fallout4 overall story wise was disappointing but yeah the ending was...idk. I went with Railroad but it was still...eh.
Any game ending in "it was a time paradox/clones" type things make me mad.
I can't think of a specific game but there's been a few.
I guess Tales of the Abyss. Loved the whole game up to the end and was mostly just confused.

Fallout 3 when I first played it without DLC. I had so much fun with the rest of the game but the rubbish ending did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth at the time

Back