• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How to go about selling my old 3DS

Holla

🐙
Bells
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
After months of being so against it I'm seriously considering on upgrading my old 3DS XL to a "New" 3DS XL. Mainly cause the speed difference is so much better.

I currently have 2 old 3DS XLs. One is just the normal Blue/Black one and the other is the Special Edition White ACNL one. I am planning on keeping the normal Blue/Black one cause I've had it forever and am too attached to let go of it. It has also suffered thousands of hours of regular wear and tear. The ACNL one on the other hand was bought used and is in near mint condition.

I would like to sell the ACNL one with the digital copy of ACNL on it as I don't need a 3rd copy of the game and it would help me get more for it. Problem is that I do have an NNID linked to the 3DS. Is there any way to safely sell the 3DS along with the game on it?

I'm guessing I'd probably have to remove my credit card payment methods and whatnot and give the new person the password to my account or something? :/ I wish Nintendo made this easier.

Edit: I plan on trying to sell the 3DS privately on a local classifieds site before considering a game store as I can usually get more for it that way.

Last edited:
I'd buy a New 3DS and do a system transfer before selling the 3DS XL. The game is stored in the system's memory, so it can be downloaded from the eShop at any time.

Last edited:
The digital copy will stay on your account, it won't be there when the system is reset and sold. You should definitely do a system transfer first as Ehingen Guy said, because then all your data will still be present. Then, I'd recommend selling it on ebay or amazon since game shops wont give you a fair deal if there is any damage to the console, but sometimes they offer trade ins and will system transfer it for you. Good luck! New 3DS' are much better imo

I'd buy a New 3DS and do a system transfer before selling the 3DS XL. The game is stored in the system's memory, so it can be downloaded from the eShop at any time.

I am planning on doing a system transfer from my old Blue one (which I'm keeping) to my new 3DS as it's my current main system with all my digital games on it. The ACNL one only has ACNL on it. After transferring I'll probably just setup my old blue one as a new system to use for in game trades and whatnot.

Last edited:
The digital copy will stay on your account, it won't be there when the system is reset and sold

Are those pre-built tied to your account? Because I remember selling the MM N3DSXL and the HHD N3DS XL and those stayed on the system when I unlinked account, you just had to default go to the eshop and just download them again when you sold the systems since they are supposed to come with the softwares.

Are those pre-built tied to your account? Because I remember selling the MM N3DSXL and the HHD N3DS XL and those stayed on the system when I unlinked account, you just had to default go to the eshop and just download them again when you sold the systems since they are supposed to come with the softwares.

As far as I know, when you put on your NNID the software is locked to the account :eek: all the ones in GAME had no pre installed games or anything

As far as I know, when you put on your NNID the software is locked to the account :eek: all the ones in GAME had no pre installed games or anything

Really? I guess it's because I did a reset then and then the games were onto eshop that came with the console, like when I sold the majora's mask one it stayed on whatever eshop with that tomodachi bs so i guess whoever bought it could just dl it?

I really wouldn't try to sell the 3DS with the game. It only complicates things and will probably confuse your buyer. Now GameStop will give you $60 cash if you're desperate and don't want to sell it online. However, eBay is probably your best option. Your 3DS is actually rare in the listings so you could probably get over $100 for it. I wouldn't drive the price up too high though.

I really wouldn't try to sell the 3DS with the game. It only complicates things and will probably confuse your buyer. Now GameStop will give you $60 cash if you're desperate and don't want to sell it online. However, eBay is probably your best option. Your 3DS is actually rare in the listings so you could probably get over $100 for it. I wouldn't drive the price up too high though.

Yeah that's probably a good idea. It would have been nice to sell it with the game but ACNL has had a price drop recently anyways so not really a big deal. Too much of a hassle to try to sell it with the game anyways. I'll just transfer all data on that 3DS to my old blue one once my Blue one has been transferred to my "new" 3DS.

As for price I'm not sure what I'll get. I'll try a local website first and if no dice then I'll have it appraised at a local game shop (they offer much better deals than EB Games would).

Back