• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

When are you too old to go trick or treating?

When are you too old to go trick or treating

• Total voters
My philosophy is you're never too old for trick or treating as long as when you're older you should be putting significantly more effort into your costume. Like if you're a young kid I find it acceptable to put a sheet over your head and call it a day, but if you're something like 18 it should be well done cosplay you would see at conventions, or at least something of extremely good quality.

Never too old. I hate it when people tell the teens "aren't you too old to trick or treat ? " I would rather they trick or treat, then get into trouble. I give candy to any age that comes to my door.

Totally agree with everyone. You're never too old. I stopped at 13 though because my friends just didn't feel like doing it anymore and I didn't have anyone to do it with. XD

My philosophy is you're never too old for trick or treating as long as when you're older you should be putting significantly more effort into your costume. Like if you're a young kid I find it acceptable to put a sheet over your head and call it a day, but if you're something like 18 it should be well done cosplay you would see at conventions, or at least something of extremely good quality.

18 year olds are broke and their parents hate them
how are they supposed to have convention quality cosplay
??

never too old , you can keep dressing up but maybe there's a point where you stop asking for candy and just walk around with friends and family

personally i stopped going trick or treating in 7th grade, but in my family the cutoff for trick or treating is when you hit high school. i missed out on 2 years but o well lol.

i think it's okay to trick or treat until you're out of high school.

Last edited:
I'd say when you hit HS. I really should have stopped at 14, the last time I went didn't go well at all lmao

I don't see a problem if anyone over 18 wants to go out and trick or treat. It's all in the spirit of the holiday so why not?

I stopped around 15-16 (my sophomore year of high school). Idk, my group of friends just slowly transitioned to halloween parties on rather than trick or treating on halloween

The last year I went trick or treating was in 2013. I was a 16 years old and a junior in hs I believe. My friend and I both grabbed a black t-shirt & wrapped it around our heads to look like ninjas. It was really a spur of the moment lets go out and get some free candy type of ordeal. Surprisingly no one was rude to us. Which is kind of sad because when I was 14 I actually showed my face and had on a pirate hat, and people kept saying I was too old...

Lmfao I actually found a photo! I ended up losing that hat while we were out lol.
6a6fad1c007d4b268ef92dcecfc82222.png

Bonus pic
1457680_620814951316795_772466727_n.jpg

Last edited:
My parents wouldn't let me after I turned 11, but I probably would have stopped soon anyway. At that point the idea of a party sounded more fun than trick or treating! ^-^

The fun ended around 11 plus i heard it was illegal for ppl 14 and older. Life sucks...

I remember going trick or treating at least once in high school, maybe twice, so 14/15, but I don't think I did any later than that. I think it depends on the neighbourhood. A lot of the kids in my neighbourhood were around the same age, so it was just accepted. Typically older kids/teens would start later though so that houses wouldn't run out of candy before the littler kids did the rounds. I enjoyed handing out candy in the years after that and seeing all the costumes and seeing reactions to our carved pumpkins. My sis and I liked to do pop culture designs on them, like disney characters and such.

I wish I could be home for Halloween so I could do that again! I live in a student apartment now though so no trick or treaters for me. :/

Last edited:
i didnt do it much but i havent done it at all since i was like 10.,,.

but halloween and trick or treating isnt as big of a deal here as it is in the us so yh

Is 'never' not an option ;) really though, haloween isn't a massive thing over here but I know lots of adults who are very into it. I think if you make an effort to dress up it's not harming anybody if you still want to go trick or treating. I probably wouldn't do it just because I never even did it when I was a kid. I go around with my little cousins though and wear a mask or cape

Back