Nintendo Switch General Discussion

Up until now, Nintendo has been offering dual-screen gaming since the original Nintendo DS arrived in late 2004, along with 3DS and Wii U. Looks like it's confirmed that Nintendo Switch won't output a secondary screen like the Wii U GamePad did at all.

There's also another rumor, this time saying that Nintendo Switch being the successor to Wii U. Not gonna lie, but Switch is obviously going to replace the "dead" Wii U.
However, the same rumor says that there is another handheld going to be the 3DS's successor in the future. Seems pretty dubious, if you ask me. Why have another handheld when Switch is touted being a portable as well?

Source 1: http://nintendoeverything.com/switc...meplay-screen-in-your-home-nintendo-confirms/
Source 2: http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor...successor-3ds-successor-coming-in-the-future/

omg cool.i hope they do a zelda edition on release since i prefer to get the special edition consoles/handhelds

I just hope the Home-Console part isn't just a projector of the tablet. I hope there's a significant graphical difference when playing on a TV rather than on the tablet.

Up until now, Nintendo has been offering dual-screen gaming since the original Nintendo DS arrived in late 2004, along with 3DS and Wii U. Looks like it's confirmed that Nintendo Switch won't output a secondary screen like the Wii U GamePad did at all.

There's also another rumor, this time saying that Nintendo Switch being the successor to Wii U. Not gonna lie, but Switch is obviously going to replace the "dead" Wii U.
However, the same rumor says that there is another handheld going to be the 3DS's successor in the future. Seems pretty dubious, if you ask me. Why have another handheld when Switch is touted being a portable as well?

My guess is that the "3ds successor" will just be a smaller and dock-less Switch - that thing is way too big for a portable.

Source 1: http://nintendoeverything.com/switc...meplay-screen-in-your-home-nintendo-confirms/
Source 2: http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor...successor-3ds-successor-coming-in-the-future/

Some people have complained that the Switch is too big to be a "true" portable, especially among those who prefer the smaller 3DS sizes. We have to take into account (and I think Nintendo does as well, to a degree), that for some, even the 3DS XL is too big, and they probably don't want to exclude that market. Size aside, we also have to consider price. The NX is likely to stay at the $300 or above being that it's a home console first, and a portable second, while a 3DS successor is more likely to be in the $200 range. That can be a make or break situation for some people. I'm thinking back to the me of a few years ago who's first console purchase was the original 3DS in purple because it's what I could afford.

I really hope they don't plan on "forcing" you to go places with the portable Switch and make friends or pass hotspots and all that (one of the problems with the 3DS... for me at least) because I agree that it would be too big to carry all around with you everywhere (unless you had like a backpack or something) and would feel kinda weird to pull out in public.

For me a portable screen means I can take it and play somewhere else in my house, like my bed, far from the console and I won't have to worry.

So now I'm curious as to how the ports of Splatoon and MK8 will work seeing as there's no motion controls or dual screen. I'm sure you could just use a wheel like previous MKs (please let me keep my MKW wheel) and keep the map on-screen, but Splatoon has the map on the gamepad and uses it to jump to people... and it's how you control the game in general. So I'm not sure how you would move all the gamepad stuff to the top screen. I think it would feel really weird playing it on a regular controller at this point.

Yep, they could still produce a secondary handheld successor in a smaller, cheaper size that still runs the same games. Imagine it like how you can buy an iOS device in various sizes of iPod Touch, iPhone or iPhone Plus, iPad or iPad Mini... but yet they all still run the same platform and generally the same apps/games. I think it is most likely we see something like this happen following the initial Switch release. Switch Mini!

I found it really disappointing that the Switch appears to be just a portable Wii U with one new game, but I guess that's just me. Did I miss anything else about it?

E x a c t l y

That's my concern. But maybe it will turn out to be something different with more info being released.
Still gonna get it day 1 though.

Don't get me wrong, the trailer does seem promising but I have mixed feelings based on what we've seen so far. Perhaps I'll warm up to the idea once more information regarding the console has been released.

I've heard that the two detachable controllers either side act as a Wii remote too, is this true?

My guess is that the "3ds successor" will just be a smaller and dock-less Switch - that thing is way too big for a portable.

Doesn't it look like a 2DS when you put the two mini controllers together? I could see a very small and "sturdy" 3DS like screen to fit in between for mega portability.

Don't get me wrong, the trailer does seem promising but I have mixed feelings based on what we've seen so far. Perhaps I'll warm up to the idea once more information regarding the console has been released.

I've heard that the two detachable controllers either side act as a Wii remote too, is this true?

That is based on sensor like observations in the trailer but it hasn't been officially confirmed as far as I know.

Next big info release on JAN 12th

Nintendo of America ‏@NintendoAmerica 5m5 minutes ago

Learn more about Nintendo?s new home gaming system at the Nintendo Switch Presentation, streamed LIVE on Jan. 12 http://ninten.do/6184889Qg

There is ONE good thing about the Switch at least... We don't have to pay for two consoles this time (hopefully).

Yeah I wonder if the Switch will also act as a 3DS successor of sorts? It takes cartridges after all, so with any luck we could see something like a Pokemon game or other handheld experience on it.

Back