• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo Switch General Discussion

I'm just waiting to see if they're are any upcoming bundles. I'm hoping for a Switch/Mario Kart 8 Bundle but I don't see that anywhere. Are there bundles around yet? Also, has anyone seen how much the paid online service is going to be? I'm waiting to pre-order or not depending on how much the service is..

There probably won't be bundles like that available at launch. There usually isn't for new game console launches.

I haven't seen anything about how much the online service would cost. Hopefully they'll charge less than Sony and Microsoft since they have less value built-in than Sony or Microsoft does.

Pretty scared to be honest. Price is too high, few launch titles (all the good games are coming out later like the wii u), no bundle, accessories are expensive and their online service being paid? If they can make it better than microsoft or sony's then fine but they won't and i sure as hell wont pay for it if its expensive (spoiler alert: it will be)

i hope it sells well but at the moment it looks like a slightly improved wii u

Pretty scared to be honest. Price is too high, few launch titles (all the good games are coming out later like the wii u), no bundle, accessories are expensive and their online service being paid? If they can make it better than microsoft or sony's then fine but they won't and i sure as hell wont pay for it if its expensive (spoiler alert: it will be)

i hope it sells well but at the moment it looks like a slightly improved wii u

I think, from a power perspective, you're right. It probably isn't much better than the Wii U.

BUT! I do like how it is truly portable. I think that's the best thing going for it - judging from the hardware only, not the upcoming games. The Wii U's gamepad *tried* to do portability somewhat, but it failed because it still needs to be in range of the Wii U console itself to be able to play the game. You could actually play a Switch during a long airplane ride, for example, and not have to worry about trying to plug in a bigger console box.

One thing that's interesting though that I haven't seen discussion about:

Ever since the Nintendo 64, Nintendo home consoles have natively supported 4 player play. It looks like the Switch couldn't play 4 players unless you play online or buy another Switch. It looks like you're maxed out to 2 player play at most without another Switch.

I am wondering about something . Since the switch is going to have a portable feature, does this mean they will get rid of the DS franchise in the future ?

Also I personally don't like the features and appearance of the switch ;_; I would only buy it if there is, like, a striking game that i need no matter what (it would need to be either a really good AC or Fire Emblem, or something completely new that picks my interest) . Mario isn't really my thing anymore and Zelda is nice but I'm not that much into the hype for it either.
Spending money into getting a PS4 kind of seems more rewarding to me ;_;

I am wondering about something . Since the switch is going to have a portable feature, does this mean they will get rid of the DS franchise in the future ?

Also I personally don't like the features and appearance of the switch ;_; I would only buy it if there is, like, a striking game that i need no matter what (it would need to be either a really good AC or Fire Emblem, or something completely new that picks my interest) . Mario isn't really my thing anymore and Zelda is nice but I'm not that much into the hype for it either.
Spending money into getting a PS4 kind of seems more rewarding to me ;_;

That's what I worry about too. I know the 3DS is from 2011 but it would be a shame to ditch it for a new console that might sell badly. The 3DS is their saving grace after the Wii U disaster so if I were them, I'd keep the 3DS until they know the Switch is selling well.

They might. Back when the original DS first came out, Nintendo claimed they were going to support a 3 console system - Gamecube, DS, and GBA. They made it sound like that DS was different, that it wasn't the GBA replacement. And, of course, we all know how that turned out.

With how the Switch works, it would definitely be possible for Nintendo to transition to just supporting it for both home console and portable uses.

I think, from a power perspective, you're right. It probably isn't much better than the Wii U.

I don't know if this is anything to go by but one thing that came to my attention during the Splatoon 2 trailer was that the Inkling models have more polygons compared to the ones found in the original Splatoon. Same thing can be said about the weapons, but I could be wrong. Also Super Mario Odyssey looks like something beyond Wii U's performance.

One thing that's interesting though that I haven't seen discussion about:

Ever since the Nintendo 64, Nintendo home consoles have natively supported 4 player play. It looks like the Switch couldn't play 4 players unless you play online or buy another Switch. It looks like you're maxed out to 2 player play at most without another Switch.

You could just buy another/multiple controllers though? Although they are quite expensive to be honest -_-

- - - Post Merge - - -

They might. Back when the original DS first came out, Nintendo claimed they were going to support a 3 console system - Gamecube, DS, and GBA. They made it sound like that DS was different, that it wasn't the GBA replacement. And, of course, we all know how that turned out.

With how the Switch works, it would definitely be possible for Nintendo to transition to just supporting it for both home console and portable uses.

Maybe this is a possibility, but that won't happen unless the Switch is extremely successful. The 3DS is their most successful console and they will not give up on it for the Switch. Besides, the 3DS has much more portability (in my opinion) simply for the fact that it is much cheaper than the Switch and people will not be worried about bringing it outside the house and risking breaking their home console, which in Canada, will cost almost $500 including taxes/insurance. Eek. I definitely will not be carrying it around in my bag.. It stays at home. I know for a fact that it won't replace my 3DS, and I'm betting a lot of other people feel the same way.

You could just buy another/multiple controllers though? Although they are quite expensive to be honest -

It's not that bad imo, Wii Remotes cost €50 and two Joy Con controllers cost €75. They're better controllers than the Wii Motes from the things I've seen and heard.
I also ordered the charging grip so basically when I get my Switch I have 2 Pro-controller-ish things or 4 seperate controllers.

Last edited:
3DS is on it's way out, no matter what Reggie says about its future. A year and a half tops is what we'll get out of it, and during that time we might see another minor Pokemon iteration and some cheap Mario titles. Now whether they introduce a new member in the DS family remains to be seen and - as others have mentioned - is entirely up to the sales of the Switch, which I personally feel will do gangbusters once it gets on its feet. Nintendo is going to show this thing some insane support.

They've shown that they cannot support two tiers at once, so it's only natural they merge their two divisions into one. They restructured the company a year or so back particularly for streamlining game development by combining their handheld and console development teams into one complete beast. That was the first sign of the direction they were heading in and only made the leaked patents regarding the NX at the time(they depicted a console/handheld hybrid) all the more believable.

So yeah, you'll get another year or so out of your 3DS sure, but don't expect anything big or for it to go on forever. It was outdated when it launched in 2011 and it's an (awesome) embarrassment in 2017. The Switch is far more something one would expect from a handheld in this day and age. Though on the same coin, it's pretty embarrassing as a home console, but anyone that believes (even through NoA and Reggies PR spins) that it's a console before a handheld should probably rethink some things.

What I mean about 4 players is I haven't seen anything to indicate that it's even possible to play 4 players on a single Switch - even if you bought more Joycons. My impression is that you would have to buy another Switch and play either local or online play to get more than 2 player play.

This is just my theory here - but I think the separately sold Joycons are just to replace them if you lose them or break them. They would be easy to lose. They're tiny. From the presentations, when detached from the Switch's screen, they look about the size of a candy bar - smaller than your average video game console controller by a lot.

3DS is on it's way out, no matter what Reggie says about its future. A year and a half tops is what we'll get out of it, and during that time we might see another minor Pokemon iteration and some cheap Mario titles. Now whether they introduce a new member in the DS family remains to be seen and - as others have mentioned - is entirely up to the sales of the Switch, which I personally feel will do gangbusters once it gets on its feet. Nintendo is going to show this thing some insane support.

They've shown that they cannot support two tiers at once, so it's only natural they merge their two divisions into one. They restructured the company a year or so back particularly for streamlining game development by combining their handheld and console development teams into one complete beast. That was the first sign of the direction they were heading in and only made the leaked patents regarding the NX at the time(they depicted a console/handheld hybrid) all the more believable.

So yeah, you'll get another year or so out of your 3DS sure, but don't expect anything big or for it to go on forever. It was outdated when it launched in 2011 and it's an (awesome) embarrassment in 2017. The Switch is far more something one would expect from a handheld in this day and age. Though on the same coin, it's pretty embarrassing as a home console, but anyone that believes (even through NoA and Reggies PR spins) that it's a console before a handheld should probably rethink some things.

You are totally right with the 3DS, as sad as it is.

Nintendo is the weaker of the main three gaming companies in terms of being up to date with trends and power and it really shows. They really need to pull up their socks with the Switch or they could be in trouble. The console/handheld is a great idea for sure but they need to really match MS and Sony at the very least. Not that power is everything but some 3DS games lagged, even with the new 3DS. That is just not acceptable, especially at this day in age.

The switch has no microphone? Come onnnnnnnn.
JUST got rid of region locking? ...
Online service that is paid and offers one free game a month that goes away after that month?? Why?

Nintendo sure makes some great games so it's a shame their consoles and handhelds are lackluster. Recent ones, anyway.

I must say, they are hella lucky they have their first partt game franchises. If those were available on every platform, they'd be dead for sure.

I wanna see the switch do well and not crash and burn like the Wii U but so far, they aren't too impressive to me and it seems to be that way with lots of other people too. If they can't keep up with the current gaming world, they could at least price it differently and not charge $50 for a "game" like 1-2 switch. Their high pricing could also be their demise. I admired their pricing for the 2DS so they should do something like that since the switch isn't something like the PS4 or Xbox One.

And that isn't to say that Sony or MS are the best or anything but it's like they are Chrome and Firefox, fighting for the best browser spot and Nintendo is IE, just trying to stay relevant. It hurts to watch cause Nintendo was the top dog back in the day. WTF happened to them?

rant/

the thing is, I'm pretty sure, if nintendo hadn't decided on paid online and not announced it at the reveal, almost noone would've raged about the high pricing of equipment, games, console, etc as much.
but people notice greed and then notice the rest..
I think announcing paid online was a huge and foreseeable faux-pas.. (I mean how is splatoon2, mariomaker,smash,etc gonna work. they only work due to lots of people participating online at all times.. i don't think parents will be pleased about online fees on top of everything else. splatoon2 completely lost it's appeal for me, cause I'm just not gonna pay monthly fees just to play.)
all the comparisons to ps and xbox prices and policies, that are being made everywhere, aren't really appropriate cause nintendo customers are very different from these and ps/xbox customers weren't happy about paid online either at first.. they could've gotten a lot of new people interested in nintendo by not having paid online..

the games themselves (besides 1,2what..) don't look too bad and are things lots of fans wanted for ages with the new zelda and mario64 style new mario etc
I mean the lineup isn't too great at launch (very reminiscent of the wiiu era :/), but of course games are gonna be spread out, if the wanna keep it alive for a few years..
but when you only 1-2 big games and have to pay so much for everything + monthly fees that puts everything in relation a bit..

at this point I won't get one for launch even tho I was almost tempted before paid online, cause I won't be able to play splatoon2 much, which I would've wanted. maybe at a later point when games are cheaper on ebay or so.. dunno.
I need to know some other details first too anyways, like if I can carry over my digital library of games from wiiu etc.

well, I hope it works out for nintendo in the end ..

- - - Post Merge - - -

What I mean about 4 players is I haven't seen anything to indicate that it's even possible to play 4 players on a single Switch
you can play with up to 8 players in certain games on- and offline, which was stated multiple times.
the switch comes with 2 joycons, you can then buy additional ones or your friends brings their's over you click them into your switch to register and done.

Last edited:
3DS is on it's way out, no matter what Reggie says about its future. A year and a half tops is what we'll get out of it.

I agree 3ds is quite old and running out of momentum games wise. I'm almost certain they said in an interview that a 3ds successor wouldn't be announced for another 1 1/2 to 2 years tho. which makes sense, people want nicer looking games and the tech has advanced to make that possible. having that and a better system structure, no region lock etc would make it easier to develop for it too, idk.
I don't think the switch will replace the new3ds tbh

The Fire Emblem Direct is live now and theres some interesting info regarding the Switch release!

Last edited:
I agree 3ds is quite old and running out of momentum games wise. I'm almost certain they said in an interview that a 3ds successor wouldn't be announced for another 1 1/2 to 2 years tho. which makes sense, people want nicer looking games and the tech has advanced to make that possible. having that and a better system structure, no region lock etc would make it easier to develop for it too, idk.

I agree with you. I think the 3DS will have a proper successor. Even with the Switch, the 3DS is the system that people will want to bring out with them everyday, not the $500 system. I mean, I'll bring the Switch over to my family's place for Christmas and special occasions, etc, but I'm not going to bring it to work, the beach, etc. So my bet is either the 3DS will stay its own separate line, with its own successor, OR perhaps if the Switch does well, and then comes out with a successor in 4+ years time that isn't so risky/expensive to lose or break, then that might be the one to replace the 3DS. But as it stands, this version of the Switch will not. But that is my opinion.

So, Nintendo have confirmed that Breath of the Wild (I could've sworn it used to be Wind instead of Wild) will be the last internally developed game for the Wii U.

This is really sad news, for me. I had no intention of purchasing a Switch, and I really liked the look of Odyessy. Hoping Bayonetta 3 ends up a Wii U or 3DS title, since that's not a Nintendo game.

I'm getting more and more hyped for the Switch actually. Mostly because of Super Mario Odyssey but there's a great deal of games coming that've piqued my interrest like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (never had a WiiU so I'm pretty new to this title), Sonic Mania, Ultra Street Fighter II, Yooka-Laylee, Dragon Quest XI (or is it XII? pretty sure it's XI though) and, of course, Breath of the Wild.

Still not completely on board when it comes to the hardware though. I think it's too complex. I would have prefered a smaller handheld with just a dock and pro controller. The Joy-Cons are giving me some Wii-chills. It doesn't seem however that Nintendo will force those motion controls on the player that they did with the Wii so that's a good thing.
I'm happy with the specs. I don't even know why people complain over the graphics tbh. The games look awesome. Sure, it's not on par with PS4 and XB1 but I'd say it's in the same ballpark.

I wonder if it'll be possible to get one at launch. I've heard Nintendo will be shipping 2 million consoles world wide for March.

The thing with that is, it all comes down to how well the Switch does. I think that if it takes off, they won't have to consider a 3DS successor. They're just keeping their options open right now, just in case.

There are going to be price drops for sure. Nintendo specifically said that they developed the hardware in a way that they can actually lower the price now, unlike the Wii U which is STILL at $299 MSRP. It's ridiculous.

It's all going to come down to how Nintendo advertises the Switch. They NEED to push it as a handheld, that's going to be their best path to revenue. Now whether they do that is another question, because it's Nintendo.

Last edited:
Back