• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nintendo Switch General Discussion

I want to justify pre-ordering one so bad, but I havent gotten to that point yet. 5 games at launch? only 1 of which looking interesting enough?

Ugh, I'm getting so sick of people complaining about the price. Yes, I'm really upset about the price too (especially where I am, it's a very steep price). It's like don't buy it at the start off price?? Wait until the price comes down at least a little, or wait until preowned ones start appearing?? Like you don't have to buy it as it comes out?? No ones forcing you. I was hoping that the price would be lower, but I haven't been going on and on about it like some people. People just love to complain I guess ?\_(ツ)_/?

Remember folks, the Nintendo DS too was once upon a time considered the "third pillar" with Nintendo executives claiming the Game Boy Advance would continue to co-exist alongside it. (just like what we're hearing about the 3DS now...) We all know how that turned out!

As soon as the Switch has proven itself to be successful, they will drop the 3DS as fast as they can IMO.

And it's worth keeping in mind, when we talk about the Switch replacing the 3DS, that doesn't necessarily mean the Switch in its current form revealed right now. This is just my personal speculation, but I believe what we'll see is a cheaper, smaller "Switch Mini" of sorts with no included dock released in a year or two to replace the 3DS. However, it would still run the same games and the same operating system as the regular Switch we see today.

Think of it like an iOS device; there are many games that can play on all iPod touches, iPhones, and iPads running the same operating system. But they serve different purposes in terms of form factor, usage, and pricing.

The current Switch is being sold at $300 for a small profit. Take out the included dock, reduce the screen size by an inch or two, and a year or two of the technology getting cheaper.. they could likely sell a "mini" for $199, replacing the current New 3DS XL price point.

1-2 Switch is overpriced (should be free or very cheap) and paid online play really sucks and will definitely put me off buying games where online multiplayer plays a large role, such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Splatoon 2.

Remember folks, the Nintendo DS too was once upon a time considered the "third pillar" with Nintendo executives claiming the Game Boy Advance would continue to co-exist alongside it. (just like what we're hearing about the 3DS now...) We all know how that turned out!

As soon as the Switch has proven itself to be successful, they will drop the 3DS as fast as they can IMO.

And it's worth keeping in mind, when we talk about the Switch replacing the 3DS, that doesn't necessarily mean the Switch in its current form revealed right now. This is just my personal speculation, but I believe what we'll see is a cheaper, smaller "Switch Mini" of sorts with no included dock released in a year or two to replace the 3DS. However, it would still run the same games and the same operating system as the regular Switch we see today.

Think of it like an iOS device; there are many games that can play on all iPod touches, iPhones, and iPads running the same operating system. But they serve different purposes in terms of form factor, usage, and pricing.

The current Switch is being sold at $300 for a small profit. Take out the included dock, reduce the screen size by an inch or two, and a year or two of the technology getting cheaper.. they could likely sell a "mini" for $199, replacing the current New 3DS XL price point.

This has been my theory as well. Shrink the whole thing down once prices on JoyCons go down, remove the USB-C passthrough to cut costs and make it strictly a handheld device with detachable controllers. This could potentially lead to some games being unplayable on "Switch Mini", but damn if that's not a good idea.

Wondering on why the launch lineup is that slim? According to the current president of Nintendo, part of the reason is that the company is trying to provide new titles regularly without those dreadful long gaps, instead of cramming tons of titles at launch like the Wii U and 3DS to some extent. That way, Nintendo Switch will keep its consumers engaged and won't show any sign of slowdown during the first year of launch.

Also, it's worth noting that if you thought that Nintendo Switch would have an "underwhelming" first year, please keep your expectations in check with a quick look at the somewhat-dated-but-still-relevant video down below will showcase the persisting issues that would appear on almost any modern console launch.

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/kimis...lineup-criticism-explains-nintendos-thinking/

Looks like the price of the Nintendo Switch yearly online subscription will be 2,000 to 3,000 yen, which amounts to $17.50 – $26.50 USD. For less than half the price of a 1 year PS Plus and a 1 year Xbox Games with Gold, you get access to online gameplay, online lobby app, monthly game download and exclusive deals. Fair enough.

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/kimis...2-3000-yen-yearly-looking-into-vr-for-switch/

Looks like the price of the Nintendo Switch yearly online subscription will be 2,000 to 3,000 yen, which amounts to $17.50 – $26.50 USD. For less than half the price of a 1 year PS Plus and a 1 year Xbox Games with Gold, you get access to online gameplay, online lobby app, monthly game download and exclusive deals. Fair enough.

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/kimis...2-3000-yen-yearly-looking-into-vr-for-switch/
That's like, what, ?2 per month ish? That's pretty much nothing! :D

Wondering on why the launch lineup is that slim? According to the current president of Nintendo, part of the reason is that the company is trying to provide new titles regularly without those dreadful long gaps, instead of cramming tons of titles at launch like the Wii U and 3DS to some extent. That way, Nintendo Switch will keep its consumers engaged and won't show any sign of slowdown during the first year of launch.

Also, it's worth noting that if you thought that Nintendo Switch would have an "underwhelming" first year, please keep your expectations in check with a quick look at the somewhat-dated-but-still-relevant video down below will showcase the persisting issues that would appear on almost any modern console launch.

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/kimis...lineup-criticism-explains-nintendos-thinking/

B-B-BUH MUH HYPERBOLE!! How on earth is one supposed to spell out doomsday for Nintendo when there is logic out there that makes so much sense?! Blasphemy, BLASPHEMY I SAY!!!!

Seriously though. The way they are approaching this is amazing. Give everyone a heavy hitter and let it stew for a month or two, then BAM! Sock 'em with another.

The release window looks pretty good honestly from a 1st party POV.

March - Zelda
April - Mario Kart 8
May/June - ARMS
July/August - Splatoon 2
September/October - ??? Maybe the rumored Smash Bros. port or Pokemon Stars? E3 holds they
November - Super Mario Odyssey

Overall a solid list, and that's not even counting the many 3rd party games that will release in-between.

After the outcry over the price of accessories, the reaction to this has been very refreshing.

I like that World of Goo, Little Inferno and Human Resource Machine are coming to the Nintendo Switch, but they're all just ports with no new content from what I can imagine. So many ports... could this be an issue?

By the way, World of Goo is from 2008, but is still a great game. I've never played the other two, but they're all from 2D Boy/Tomorrow Corporation.

Just saw Nintendo's super bowl commercial. The switch and Breath of the wild, talk about the best spot of the night!

I love how the UI looks so minimalistic :) . I also hope we can put custom profile pictures soon!

I love how the UI looks so minimalistic :) . I also hope we can put custom profile pictures soon!

Unlikely knowing nintendo :/

Praying to god that the eshop is available before March 3, Nintendo UK have a tendancy to deliver a day early for me and my BOTW preorder is at Amazon LOL

Unlikely knowing nintendo :/

Praying to god that the eshop is available before March 3, Nintendo UK have a tendancy to deliver a day early for me and my BOTW preorder is at Amazon LOL

Im sure until Nintendo releases a new update for Switch , the eShop will be available :p

I agree! I think it is pretty and clean interface.

I'm not getting a Switch at launch, but definitely sometime in the next year so I'm still excited. (I do want more colors.. the set of two blue joy-cons is neat, but I'll wait to see if they come out with more options.)

Hey, the system settings open in less than ten seconds!

Breakthrough.

Back