• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo Switch General Discussion

From what we've seen so far, the UI from Switch is a significant improvement over the HOME Menu of both 3DS and especially Wii U.

The problem with the 3DS and Wii U UIs is, accessing anything else than the games is a often pain to deal with. A good amount of the features that would be frequently accessed seem to be tucked further away than they needed to, some of which are buried within apps.

While both of these platforms share these issues, the Wii U dropped the ball even further. Even after several updates, the overall interface is not only unreasonably slow and convoluted, but also poorly thought out at times. Why can't I get rid of the WaraWara Plaza that gets shoved in my face every time I reach the HOME Menu? I don't care about those low-quality Miiverse posts! What's up with all of the long load times while navigating through the menu? Why are plenty of important features still buried inside of apps? Why does System Settings force us to use the GamePad, even though any other controller should be fine? Why won't Data Management let me copy just the saved data as opposed to the entire game data?

The no-nonsense and efficient approach of the Switch UI ensures that the player won't waste time figuring out what icon/button does what, and never suffer from sluggishness. Everything the player might need to access is laid out pretty clearly and won't take too long to load. That's certainly going to lead for more more impromptu gaming sessions.

From what we've seen so far, the UI from Switch is a significant improvement over the HOME Menu of both 3DS and especially Wii U.

The problem with the 3DS and Wii U UIs is, accessing anything else than the games is a often pain to deal with. A good amount of the features that would be frequently accessed seem to be tucked further away than they needed to, some of which are buried within apps.

While both of these platforms share these issues, the Wii U dropped the ball even further. Even after several updates, the overall interface is not only unreasonably slow and convoluted, but also poorly thought out at times. Why can't I get rid of the WaraWara Plaza that gets shoved in my face every time I reach the HOME Menu? I don't care about those low-quality Miiverse posts! What's up with all of the long load times while navigating through the menu? Why are plenty of important features still buried inside of apps? Why does System Settings force us to use the GamePad, even though any other controller should be fine? Why won't Data Management let me copy just the saved data as opposed to the entire game data?

The no-nonsense and efficient approach of the Switch UI ensures that the player won't waste time figuring out what icon/button does what, and never suffer from sluggishness. Everything the player might need to access is laid out pretty clearly and won't take too long to load. That's certainly going to lead for more more impromptu gaming sessions.

I hope they make a theme shop for the Nintendo Switch like they have for the 3DS...

- - - Post Merge - - -

I hope they make a theme shop for the Nintendo Switch like they have for the 3DS...

Anyone in the UK ordered from Nintendo Store and had theirs shipped yet? Curious since usually it would have shipped by now but I haven't had any notice,,,

I'm kinda in a similar situation regarding my Switch preorder as well, so it's most definitely not an isolated case.

As a Canadian who preordered a Switch from Best Buy since January 12th, I'm still yet to hear any update anytime between now and March 3rd. It just says "Processing" since forever ago.

The retailer might have received the units as we speak. According to one of the Best Buy Twitter accounts, they're apparently working on getting those shipped before the end of March 3rd. Usually, they'd send any preordered product a day before their actual launch date, arriving at my home within 3 business days. In that case, I won't get to play Switch until next week, but at least it's good to know I'll get it quite soon and I won't have to suffer from Day 1 Internet problems.

Last edited:
I'm kinda in a similar situation regarding my Switch preorder as well, so it's most definitely not an isolated case.

As a Canadian who preordered a Switch from Best Buy since January 12th, I'm still yet to hear any update anytime between now and March 3rd. It just says "Processing" since forever ago.

The retailer might have received the units as we speak. According to one of the Best Buy Twitter accounts, they're apparently working on getting those shipped before the end of March 3rd. Usually, they'd send any preordered product a day before their actual launch date, arriving at my home within 3 business days. In that case, I won't get to play Switch until next week, but at least it's good to know I'll get it quite soon and I won't have to suffer from Day 1 Internet problems.

Yeah, its weird since I got an email last Thursday (albeit, oddly without the usual Nintendo store branding, but it was the same address so it was fine) saying that it was in stock and that it would be shipped soon? Seems weird that it's Nintendo's official store, which usually deliver a day early if anything :O

Watching people do that to their games makes me want to break down in tears. Just why.

Leave it to Nintendo to think of precautions like that though. Always looking out for them kiddos.

I feel the same way, but like... why?... Is it just a youtuber's natural instinct to lick a cartridge of a console not out yet? ;-; Evidently.

Same here. My Best Buy order is my preferred since it's Neon, but if it doesn't come through on Friday I'm just going to grab a Grey from EB locally.

And while I don't have a system at Amazon, my Zelda is and they're being equally slow and useless as Best Buy. Weird stuff going on up here

Do you guys think it will be hard to buy a Switch in mid-late March? That's when I'm probably getting mine :/

I'm going to the local Best buy to pick up the switch preorder tomorrow night at midnight. Hope they'll have enough!

Fun Fact: Guam gets the switch first lol. About 7 hours and 17 minutes till it releases here! HYPE

Last edited:
switch.jpg
12 MINUTES!!!!

[...]

In other news,

NINTENDO SWITCH USES FRIEND CODES TO ADD FRIENDS

Source: http://press-start.com.au/news/nintendo/2017/03/02/nintendo-switch-uses-friend-codes-add-friends/

At first, I had a knee-jerk reaction when I heard of this bit, especially due on how adding Friends were handled on DS, Wii and 3DS. But then I learned a bit more about how it's implemented on Switch, so adding friends isn't as nightmarish as you would otherwise believe.

The system will automatically send a friend request to the desired player if you:

- Type the 12 digits Friend Code
- Connect between two Switches, just like the 3DS did
- Search users you've played with online
- Pick one from the friend suggestions that came from certain mobile apps published by Nintendo, such as Miitomo and Super Mario Run

Here's a few more details about the Switch eShop:

• If you link your NNID to your Nintendo Account, you can merge your Wii U/3DS eShop funds to the Switch eShop.
  • Physical copies of a Switch game do earn you Gold Points if you've linked your Switch with your Nintendo Account and register the game within the first year of said game's release. Though, you'll only earn those points once per title, and this method gets you much fewer Gold Points than downloading games off from eShop.
  • Regardless of which country you bought your Switch from, you can access to all regions of eShop. To do so, you have to switch to another Nintendo Account with a different region setting. Want to purchase a game that's releasing in Japan but not elsewhere? Your dreams come true, without having to invest on another hardware.
  • Demos downloaded on Switch eShop won't have any play limit.

Source 1: http://nintendoeverything.com/you-c...e-with-switch-right-now-on-nintendos-website/
Source 2: http://nintendoeverything.com/my-ni...ames-to-earn-gold-points-switch-rewards-soon/
Source 3: http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-lets-you-easily-access-eshops-from-different-regions/
Source 4: http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-demos-have-no-play-limits/

Last edited:
Back