• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo Switch General Discussion

Okay so i loved the presentation ,i loved Splatoon 2 , Odyssey and MK8 Deluxe version , i also loved the price of it and its release date , i loved the red and blue colors , i loved how there won't be region lock for the console .

HOWEVER i hate how the online is going to be a paid service which hopefully that paid service won't have special features at all. Or that you can pay a whole year of online idk. This was an horrible move tbh.

Online confirmed to suck so far, that one "Free" game you don't even get to keep. What is the point in charging us for a subpar service and splitting things across the Switch/phones?

I never had high hopes so I guess I'm not that disappointed, but I'm actually surprised that the launch lineup is so... weak. It almost feels like the Wii all over again with huge emphasis on motion party games and one big title. I don't doubt that the Switch will have better games over time, but as far as a launch lineup goes, it's pretty bad currently. I can't justify spending ?300 for the Switch and BotW on release so I think I'll just get Zelda on the Wii U and give that console one last joyride...

Xenoblade looks interesting, I may pick that up once I finally decide to get the Switch, whenever that may be, but I'm not sold until they show a new Metroid. I guess the new Mario looks pretty cool too, I don't think I'd buy it, but it looks like a refreshing experience for the series anyway. It's kind of funny to see Mario in somewhat more realistic settings, reminds me of the old cartoon where he travelled to Brooklyn.

I will say that I'm disappointed that online play is paid subscription, that took me by surprise. I'm not buying into that when I already pay so much for internet in the first place, especially when I would rarely use it. I guess it's not THAT big of a deal since I'm mostly interested in single player games, but it is rather surprising to see Nintendo jump on the subscription bandwagon.

Curious though, did they ever confirm if the Switch will be backwards compatible in any way? I feel like I might have missed the memo somewhere, and I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up in a trap by just getting BotW on Wii U, because I plan on selling the console eventually.

Curious though, did they ever confirm if the Switch will be backwards compatible in any way? I feel like I might have missed the memo somewhere, and I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up in a trap by just getting BotW on Wii U, because I plan on selling the console eventually.

considering the switch will be 'switching' to cartridges, Wii U discs certainly won't be compatible

anyways I'm torn over the switch........ On one hand some of those games interest me, on the other this paid online service junk is turning me off. the game I'm anticipating the most (aside from botw) is splat2n but depending on the final price for the online service, if I'm not willing to pay that price than splat2n is rendered useless

considering the switch will be 'switching' to cartridges, Wii U discs certainly won't be compatible

Oh ****, you're right. I totally forgot about that... Well this just got even worse. ):

Now I feel like I really need to get the Switch if I'm ever going to get replayability from BotW, because I like to revisit Zelda games years down the line... I guess I could just sell it too and buy the Switch version. Still though, I hate temporary solutions like this. Nintendo really did not handle the transition from Wii U to Switch very well at all. I'd be less salty if I didn't invest in the Wii U in the first place only for them to abort it so soon.

Just checked with a Canada gaming store and it's $400 for a preorder. They have only filled half of their preorders so far.
That's a lot just for a Mario game. I think I'll wait for online reviews, system problems and streamers reviews before I purchase one.

I've never bought a system on a preorder and the Switch was going to be my first one. Changed my mind after the Direct.

Yeah paid online was the one thing that was a deal breaker for me. I'll only be getting one if the online is cheap as hell.

Has any Virtual Console games been announced? I heard Gamecube games were becoming VC

The only thing I've seen about Virtual Console is the fact that you get some for free if you subscribe to the online service. Though the "for free" sounds like it means you only have access to those games during the one month that they make it available.

The whole direst started off great but it went completely downhill from there. I'm very baffled about the new mario game having humans in it. I feel like it just ruins the whole world of Mario.

Nintendo better start making directs more often, or make them longer because as of right now, I don't see anything about the Switch that makes me want to buy it.

Last edited:
The only thing I've seen about Virtual Console is the fact that you get some for free if you subscribe to the online service. Though the "for free" sounds like it means you only have access to those games during the one month that they make it available.

They said you have it for free during that month but you can purchase the games and have them forever. So some type of VC is happening.

tbh I don't like it, I'm not paying $470 for a system that's basically a 3DS but with less battery life, and $70 for one of them controllers plus all of these fancy dancy accessories that you apparently need, in total I imagine it to cost $800+ all up, I think it will flop like the Wii U and won't live up to expectations.

Nintendo is straying from the consoles I know and love, soon we will have to pay for online like PSN and XBOX Live, I'd rather buy a PS4 for a lot cheaper even though its not portable its cost so much less and has better graphics. just because something is over hyped isn't an excuse to charge $470! ($550 in Canada!). people just like it at this time because of the new Zelda, Mario, and Splatoon games coming to it. and sorry to disappoint you but there will be no new AC game until 2018 and even then its very unlikely.

I feel like Nintendo is trying to be something there not, no longer do they provide affordable gaming systems the whole family can enjoy, its like gaming now days has become a hobby for the rich and not something an average wage person can afford. its just... not Nintendo anymore... I was expecting better graphics and battery life for something that doubles as a handheld and console, you can't really call it a console the way it is its more handheld than anything, and I think its a poor excuse of Nintendo trying to make up for the devastating failure of the Wii U. I can't even describe my disappointment when I saw the specs... like wth? all and all, I'm not impressed and won't be investing any time soon.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The whole direst started off great but it went completely downhill from there. I'm very baffled about the new mario game having humans in it. I feel like it just ruins the whole world of Mario.

Nintendo better start making directs more often, or make them longer because as of right now, I don't see anything about the Switch that makes me want to buy it.

I totally agree with you there, the mario game looks cool but it has rl people, makes it feel like a non mario game...

More game reveals to come in the coming weeks!

https://twitter.com/DWBakes/status/820007317102088192

I'll try to not get too excited but Nintendo please, we need Metroid. Even if they just teased it, I'd at least have something to look forward to about the Switch. I reckon it will probably be more third party titles. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, I just feel Nintendo needs to remember it has other IPs that have been dormant for so long...

Side note: That "Milk" game from 1, 2 Switch absolutely killed me. My face was flushed with both embarrassment and laughter while watching their demonstration.

Last edited:
honestly 1,2 switch is garbage. it looks like something that should be bundled with the system like Wii sports but instead it's gonna cost $50, only $10 less than botw............ hmm I wonder how well its gonna sell

the more I think about it the more I'm inclined to wait on the switch until a price cut happens. as much as I'd like the slightly better graphics for the switch version of botw, I can't justify spending nearly $400 just for slightly better graphics. btw it still looks nice on the Wii U !!

honestly 1,2 switch is garbage. it looks like something that should be bundled with the system like Wii sports but instead it's gonna cost $50, only $10 less than botw............ hmm I wonder how well its gonna sell

the more I think about it the more I'm inclined to wait on the switch until a price cut happens. as much as I'd like the slightly better graphics for the switch version of botw, I can't justify spending nearly $400 just for slightly better graphics. btw it still looks nice on the Wii U !!

Yeah, I thought it would be bundled with the console too! Very surprised they're trying to pass it off as a "standalone" title, which is very situational, and definitely not worth the $50 price tag.

You're of the same mindset as myself. Considering they showed the Wii U version at E3 and it still looked stunning, the difference between the two seems to be very minimal, and I'm glad that Nintendo seems to be keeping their promise in that regard. I'm still a little concerned that they may pull a surprise hat trick before release to try and herd sales towards the Switch version, but for now the games look fairly equal.

Totally didn't realize that there was a presentation.
So my thoughts:
1,2 Switch looks totally ridiculous.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe super sweet. I never got Wii U, so I never played the original.
Arms look pretty interesting, will probably get it, but not a priority game.
Splatoon 2 looks awesome. Never played the first one, but wanted to try it.
Odyssey looks super cool, but never had a thing for those type of game.. I did my Sunshine tho.. so who knows..
The BotW game graphics were so beautiful, I almost cried.. made me want the game just for the graphics..

But what hurt the most, was seeing this Paid Online service. It was like a shot to the heart. I never expected Nintendo to do this to us.
I've haven't seen a set price for this or something, but does anyone know how much this would be?

Also, is there any bundles out there yet with games already downloading, was looking forward to a bundle with Mario Kart 8 already downloaded onto it.

The presentation was kind of a buzzkill. I'm not exactly rushing out to throw down a pre-order.

Firstly, preorders are a cluster **** as per usual. GG, Nintendo...I actually don't care about this because I'm simply not surprised. It's Nintendo and this is what they do, I didn't need 20/20 vision to see this coming.

$300? Well, whatever. I think we were all expecting a little cheaper for various reasons, but $300 is pretty much standard...The price of the peripherals are a joke though. Must be trying to recoup for the Wii U.

Region free? Good, about time. I refuse to praise them for this because it's something they should have done a long time ago.

The online? Well, its a shame Nintendo has finally decided to take a plunge into our wallets for something they really shouldn't be charging us for...Still blame Microsoft for introducing that awful idea...
I don't know whether or not I'm surprised that Nintendo's subscription model sounds like by far the worst of the 3 main consoles though. From the sounds of it, you get one free 'retro' game for one month...It's literally a rental service you're forced to use to play online...Just, wow...This actually makes PSN+ and XBL look fantastic by comparison.
Way to go, Nintendo. They have over a decade to see how other consoles handle paid online and still manage to screw it up and be behind the times...Good grief...

This 'HD rumble' they're talking about? I pretty much guarantee that it will be 100% less impressive than they're making it out to be. The name alone sounds like a marketing buzzword.
Regardless, it's kinda sad they're still chasing the rainbow with the motion control stuff. Just leave it, the Wii was lightning in a bottle.

The handheld has 2-6 hours battery life depending on the game...That's kinda trash, especially since I'm going to guess a majority of games will end up causing it to last for the lower end of that timeframe...I just hope the 3DS ain't going anywhere in that case, which Nintendo says it isn't, but c'mon, the 3DS is dead if the Switch is a success.

Games?
- Breath of the Wild. That's a thing. It has a release date now. It's not exactly like they hadn't shown us this before.
- Super Mario Odyssey just, well, looks like a 3D Mario game. Nothing wrong with that. I couldn't exactly see anything that was 'reinventing the wheel', but I kinda don't care if it does...I hated the look of that part with real people/cars/buildings though. It just looked like a Steam Greenlight asset flip in the sense that it didn't look like the things I was seeing should aesthetically be in the same game.
- Fire Emblem Warriors announced. I wasn't surprised since I kinda assumed this was the confirmed new Nintendo/Warriors game, though I look forward to this one.
- Xenoblade 2 is Xenoblade. That's enough for me to assume it's at least 'good'.
- Splatoon 2 looks like 'more of the same'. That's not exactly a bad thing, but I mean, it literally just looks like a Splatoon addon rather than an actual sequel.
- Mario Kart 8 with a bit of new stuff. Not a system seller in my eyes.
- Arms looks like a throwaway tech demo.
- 1 2 Switch is barely even a video game. Actually, I'm going to go as far to say it literally isn't. It's a game, sure, but it's as much of a video game as Buckaroo or Simon...I also have a feeling Nintendo is hoping this will be another Wii Sports that will sell systems...I highly doubt that.
- A bunch of multiplatform games which regardless of quality I simply don't view as a system seller...Because they're multiplatform.

I mean, it's just a Nintendo console that I want for Nintendo games. I'll buy it eventually, but I don't think I would if I wasn't already a Nintendo fan, and that presentation wouldn't have done much to change that.

They said you have it for free during that month but you can purchase the games and have them forever. So some type of VC is happening.

So what you're saying is you get a demo of an old game and after a month you decide if you want to buy it? Wowzeroonie, take all my money!!!...

Back