• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nintendo Switch General Discussion

Does anyone else have issues with their Switch and internet? For some reason mine just won't connect to my wifi, even though it says it is.

I'm just frustrated because it won't let me play Zelda until I update the system, but I can't update the system because the wifi doesn't work??

- - - Post Merge - - -

Does anyone else have issues with their Switch and internet? For some reason mine just won't connect to my wifi, even though it says it is.

I'm just frustrated because it won't let me play Zelda until I update the system, but I can't update the system because the wifi doesn't work??

I had the same problem I was using "TKIP" encryption wi-fi and my Switch didn't pick it up at all. Look up how to change your wifi to "AES"

Are you planning to purchase a physical copy of NBA 2K18 or Resident Evil Revelations Collection? Be sure to have a 64GB microSD card ready for that, as you'll need to download quite a hefty amount of data in order to play these titles. And that's because they've exceeded 32GB, the maximum Switch game card capacity available this year.

Not sure about Resident Evil, but NBA is like 8GB. 16GB of additional data has to be downloaded, but what annoys me the most is that each save file is locked at 5GB, which can only be stored on internal memory. Yes, 5GB. Per save file.

Not sure about Resident Evil, but NBA is like 8GB. 16GB of additional data has to be downloaded, but what annoys me the most is that each save file is locked at 5GB, which can only be stored on internal memory. Yes, 5GB. Per save file.

The first Resident Evil Revelations clocks in at 13GB, while the sequel is 26GB. As far as I know, the save datas for these games won't end up being as big as NBA 2K18.

Also worth noting is that the size of FIFA 2018 save data appears to be about the same as NBA 2K18. At this point, I'm wondering what kind of information these sport games would contain...

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/resident-evil-revelations-1-and-2-switch-file-sizes/

I don't think that the save file is all save data, I think it's just a way if reserving 5GB of extra RAM for running the game in addition to the rumoured 4GB RAM the Switch already has as standard.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to get a Switch now or wait. I don't have much time to use it, but at the same time it would be nice to have just as stress relief periodically. But there also aren't any in stock here except at Gamestop every now and then and I hate going in there lol

I'm still trying to decide if I want to get a Switch now or wait. I don't have much time to use it, but at the same time it would be nice to have just as stress relief periodically. But there also aren't any in stock here except at Gamestop every now and then and I hate going in there lol

I'd say if you feel like you'll want to play odyssey, get one asap. It will be absolutely impossible to get after halloween. If you've not much interest in any titles shown? maybe wait. They seem to be making plenty of bundles so you could get a bundle with a game you do want.

I'd say if you feel like you'll want to play odyssey, get one asap. It will be absolutely impossible to get after halloween. If you've not much interest in any titles shown? maybe wait. They seem to be making plenty of bundles so you could get a bundle with a game you do want.

Mm, good point. I do want a few of the games that are out, I didn't even think about Christmas potentially making it impossible to find. I might get one this week D:

I don't think that the save file is all save data, I think it's just a way if reserving 5GB of extra RAM for running the game in addition to the rumoured 4GB RAM the Switch already has as standard.

No, it's not used as cache file. I think it's because Switch save files cannot be dynamic, which is why Minecraft uses a 2GB save file rather than around 5-10MB per world like with the Xbox 360 Edition. Just using that as an example. It's more like "just in case" space. Could maybe be used for storing updates?

No, it's not used as cache file. I think it's because Switch save files cannot be dynamic, which is why Minecraft uses a 2GB save file rather than around 5-10MB per world like with the Xbox 360 Edition. Just using that as an example. It's more like "just in case" space. Could maybe be used for storing updates?

If you happen to use microSD card, any software update downloaded will be stored there instead of the Switch's internal memory. So, the 2GB reserved for the Minecraft save file isn't actually containing updates.

The worst part is, there are reports that the PS4 and Xbox One versions of NBA2K18 takes far less space to store its save file than Switch does. Minecraft and FIFA 18 might've also suffered from the same technical quirk, so it could either be an oddity of the Switch programming.

Still looking for a Nintendo Switch hardware? You'll be glad to hear that the stock situation is dramatically improving, if it didn't already.

I've checked a few major Canadian retailer websites (EB Games, Walmart, Best Buy, and The Source), and they all seem to have a very healthy amount of units, with the exception of EB Games lacking any Switch hardware but the preorder for the official Super Mario Odyssey bundle. I'm not sure about the situation in every other country, but mine definitely isn't suffering from shortage anymore.

It doesn't end there, as Digittimes is claiming that Nintendo will be manufacturing two millions Switches per month.

Last edited:
A new and hefty firmware update for the Nintendo Switch is now released. Here's what version 4.0.0 will bring, courtesy of Nintendo of America:

Improvements Included in Version 4.0.0 (Distributed 10/18/2017)
Added the following system functionality

- Capture video on select games
  • To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay
  • Up to a maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
  • As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2

- Select from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your user
  • To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile

- Transfer user and save data to another system
  • To transfer, head to System Settings > Users > Transfer Your User and Save Data

- Pre-purchase option on Nintendo eShop
  • A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.
  • This feature will be supported by future game releases

- News channel updates
  • The news feed has been updated with a new look.
  • Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel's content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.

- Match software version with a group of local users
  • To create a group, head to the software's Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
  • Everyone's software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
  • All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group

General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:

• Changed the specification which hid wireless networks using TKIP security from the network search results. Wireless networks using TKIP security will now display in search results as a grayed-out selection instead of not being displayed
  • The Nintendo Switch console supports WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), and WPA2-PSK(AES). If your router is using a different security type (e.g. WPA-PSK(TKIP)), you will need to change this security type within your router's settings.

By the way, the transfer functionality works the same way 3DS and Wii U did; you'll need two Switch consoles in order for that to happen. Better hope your old Switch still works, or else you'll lose your progress!

Source: http://en-americas-support.nintendo...endo-switch-system-updates-and-change-history

So yeah, I REALLY love my Switch.
by8wwn5.jpg

I think I figured out why my Switch suffers from an annoyingly short Internet signal range than my other devices.

I'm currently using my late 00s 2.4GHz-only wireless router to go online with that gaming device. After doing researches on that matter, it turns out that there are many reports stating that the Switch's 2.4GHz Wi-Fi chip is far weaker than the 5GHz one found on the same system.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/78pcrl/use_5ghz_wifi_with_your_switch/

I think I figured out why my Switch suffers from an annoyingly short Internet signal range than my other devices.

I'm currently using my late 00s 2.4GHz-only wireless router to go online with that gaming device. After doing researches on that matter, it turns out that there are many reports stating that the Switch's 2.4GHz Wi-Fi chip is far weaker than the 5GHz one found on the same system.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/78pcrl/use_5ghz_wifi_with_your_switch/

I have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz enabled in my house so it's nice to see this. Thanks for the tip. I will definitely be using 5GHz from now on.

Back