• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What's your least favorite event of the decade?

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
As 2016 is ending in a few months, there are three years left in the decade 2010-2019. As of what happened so far, what would be your least favorite major event (like hot news stories) between the Hatian Earthquake and the recent accusations against Donald Trump?

It can be something more recent like the shooting of Harambe. Or it could be something in 2010 that you were grudging about like the censorship of South Park's 201st episode. Please be civil and do not lash out at other members for having certain opinions. And this is for major public events that the news reported and were discussed for a while (like natural disasters, ridiculous events, and attacks), not personal events or celebrity deaths.

My least favorite event this decade:

I would have to say the firing of Paula Deen in 2013 (and it still is). I don't care too much about Paula Deen as I would not defend saying anything racist, but nobody should have the right or reason to take action against someone for their past activity, especially if it's irrelevant to their business. Your past should have no meaning in the present. Your personal activity should have no meaning to the public (which includes what you say on the internet). Your activity irrelevant to ones' business should have no meaning to their business. Crime may be an exception, but Paula Deen didn't even break the law at the time, and Food Network still chose to dump her even if it was 28 years before they made that decision. But after this event happened, it shows two things. One of them being how racial issues are taken much more seriously. This includes being deemed "racist for life" for doing something politically incorrect and having your business or channel judged "racist" because at least one employee had a history of racism or said something politically incorrect. The other thing is that past activity now matters in the present. In reality, neither of them is true, but judging by Food Network's controversial decision and a few other cases of political correctness, it's already happening.

Well, obviously Bowie's passing is enough to set me up for the remainder of this decade and the next, but aside from that, I think that the London riots in 2011 were quite a scary time. London is the capital of England, and represents a lot of what still makes me remotely proud to be British, and to see those streets literally torn apart was pretty devastating. Not the worst thing to happen in this decade, but one that probably got to me the most, from a personal perspective.

In terms of world events I remember being really disturbed by the Boston bombings. The ebola outbreak was a big one for me too, but I found it more interesting than sad or disturbing.

Mainstream Event: The division of the Republican party I guess...

Personal Event: The passing of my dad

- Everything that went down with Leelah Alcorn
- The Orlando shooting
- All the violence fueled by racism/bigotry in general
- The bombing in Paris
- South Korean ferry sinking
- The current US election

I can have more than one right

- Everything that went down with Leelah Alcorn
- The Orlando shooting
- All the violence fueled by racism/bigotry in general
- The bombing in Paris
- South Korean ferry sinking
- The current US election

I can have more than one right

There is no rule in this thread other than being civil and staying on-topic. So I'm okay with you naming more than one. I'm also okay with people naming their least favorite event per year within the seven year span for this topic.

I never heard of the South Korean Ferry or the Leelah Alcorn incidents. I wonder what those are about.

Last edited:
when zayn left one direction :( i know there are a lot worse events and stuff and i really hate that people have to live in fear, it's so terrible that it happens. i wanted to make it feel more light-hearted, since i know everyone carries burdens or is sympathetic to those who have lost loved ones to these horrible events. there was too much for me to list about my least favorite, so i'll put this light-hearted answer.

Not cocerning social issues (which have already been discussed a lot here), I would say the downgrade in modern popular music. Do people nowadays even know what they're listening to??

There's too many issues going on in the world for me to name. One would be how Trump and Clinton are personally attacking each other to get more votes. I don't trust either, but if I had to choose I would vote Hillary for prison.

Robin Williams dying (No more Ted Roosevelt)

Also the Kardashian robbery. Did people ever get refunds for Kanye's concert that night?

Last edited:
that the worlddidnt end in 2012 :'''''(((((

but seriously i dont know. a lot of things have sucked n a lot of hortible things have happened in the world so yeh ):

Pulse Nightclub shooting. Knew a couple people that were there. A part of me has been missing since then.

There's been so many...Prince passing away was awful. I absolutely loved him, one of my favourite artists ever. There has been so many wonderful and talented people pass away this year. Another one would be the referendum we had to leave the EU. Have no problem with the result but I think it's just divided people. It's caused a lot of problems. The xenophobic people have used it as an excuse to be openly vile towards those from other countries who are living here. I've actually had somebody refuse to talk to me because of how I voted and the result. Just don't think it has helped anybody really, just made things worse for a lot of people

All those musician deaths... Also Trump seriously being a candidate for the pres election.

Wow, a lot of the most hated events are mostly what happened this year. Personally, my top five least favorite events this decade didn't even occur this year.

The shootings in Oslo in 2011 were particularly scary for me, because I had been living in Oslo for 5 months and I got home a week before it happened... and Breivik is just so chilling. Apparently he's converted to Nazism while in prison ;~;

MH370 and MH17 plane crashes - my parents always do business trips and travel, often on malaysian airlines, so I was just really struck and scared. (Both of these occurred in 2014)

Last edited:
paris terrorist attacks (2015)
japan earthquake/tsunami (2011)
orlando shooting (2016)

Back