Votes: 101 47.2%
  • no

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • not really sure tbh

Votes: 42 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
im a feminist but i agree i do sometimes question it when i see annoying ones (me and my sister were in a march near new hampshire and everyone was wearing cat hats shouting gross things and throwing pads everywhere, what the **** were they thinking?). i think a lot of the time people mistake feminism for only being women's rights so they get thrown off, but thats not what its about. you should definitely read up a little bit before considering yourself a feminist though

I'm trying to have a debate or anything, but wouldn't you agree the original subject of feminism was womens rights? Like I said in my comment previously feminists these days support issues that have no correlation to the movement.

Oh my glurb! I remember this thread! I said the wage gap didn't exist, how wrong was I?

I am still a feminist, not a radical feminist. I believe in equality for everyone, feminism mostly covers women's issues so that's why I think it continues to be branded as "sexist".

I am also an egalitarian, I believe everyone should have equal rights and opportunities.

Egalitarianism and feminism are on the same boat but they differ a little bit, feminists mainly focus on women's problems and it's a movement while egalitarianism isn't a movement and it's solely a thought pattern/belief. The definition of feminism has been tainted over the years by extremists and ignorant people who don't know the difference between the two so they make absurd judgements and assumptions about actual feminists such as myself.

Yes, I don't think that a random YouTube video can change the meaning of something.

I don't consider myself a feminist.

Last edited:
I suppose though I don't normally associate myself with feminism.

I haven't ever really seen examples of discrimination by gender in person, but then again I've lived in cornfield Ohio my whole life xD

lol relax youre being condescending af hahahah

im not saying women are the only people who have problems in society lol. but women are victims of sexism which men arent :^)

1. rape culture or whatever u want to call it is real.
2. ???? where
3. women are definitely pressured to appear beautiful and appeal to men. men are supposed to look certain ways too but the way it is for women is more extreme
4. :~)
5. wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. is that violence against men because they are men? women are often victims of abuse because of their role in society. and sure there are a bunch of men who don't speak up about abuse but that doesn't mean that the abuse women face is less bad or whatever???

i think you're making it sound like women shouldnt complain because "Men Have It Super Bad Too )''': "

When men get sexually assaulted and people don't believe or even take a minute to hear their story because of their gender...

When men get sexually assaulted and people don't believe or even take a minute to hear their story because of their gender...

9 minutes and you changed your mind. Haha.

- - - Post Merge - - -

lol relax youre being condescending af hahahah

im not saying women are the only people who have problems in society lol. but women are victims of sexism which men arent :^)

1. rape culture or whatever u want to call it is real.
2. ???? where
3. women are definitely pressured to appear beautiful and appeal to men. men are supposed to look certain ways too but the way it is for women is more extreme
4. :~)
5. wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. is that violence against men because they are men? women are often victims of abuse because of their role in society. and sure there are a bunch of men who don't speak up about abuse but that doesn't mean that the abuse women face is less bad or whatever???

i think you're making it sound like women shouldnt complain because "Men Have It Super Bad Too )''': "

Oh my.....

i'm all for equality and such but whenever i see a certain buzzfeed video or any video of a feminist tbh i cringe so bad i honestly don't know whats right or wrong in that community so i try to stay out of it as much as possible. another thing i noticed is literally no one seems to agree like there's people who say clothes don't have genders but there's people who are genderfluid who say they like dressing like either genders and i dont understand at all???????? idk man hopefully this makes sense and i dont start a big argument lol i'm just interested in peoples opinions
also i literally didn't even answer my own question but anyways

Buzzfeed is totally a legit news source. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

And that needs to change, people should be equal in importance when it comes to sexual assault. Men/Women/Other should be listened to if they ever experience such things. Its not fair.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Buzzfeed is totally a legit news source. :rolleyes:

Fox news and CNN are waaaaayyyy better. XD

Every news channel or YouTube channel that "informs" people have a biased.

Biased views are everywhere and people are going to look down upon those news channels for having the opposite viewpoint/ spread that viewpoint in a way which comes off as desperate or pathetic.

Just fyi I'm using your posts cause I couldn't be bothered finding the original posts that you replied too.

Last edited:
Fox news and CNN are waaaaayyyy better. XD

Fox News makes me mad at times. I got upset at two of their articles these past few weeks. CNN is just clickbait and propaganda. I don't even know why I read CNN articles still.

Fox News makes me mad at times. I got upset at two of their articles these past few weeks. CNN is just clickbait and propaganda. I don't even know why I read CNN articles still.

Pretty much every news network makes me mad. There isn't a single news network out there that isn't biased except *possibly* CNN student news. I'm not even sure about that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Just fyi I'm using your posts cause I couldn't be bothered finding the original posts that you replied too.

You can click on the little arrows next to the person's username and it will take you to the post they replied to ^^

And that needs to change, people should be equal in importance when it comes to sexual assault. Men/Women/Other should be listened to if they ever experience such things. Its not fair.

Every human should be listened to yes. Most of the time they're not being manipulative or lying.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Pretty much every news network makes me mad. There isn't a single news network out there that isn't biased except *possibly* CNN student news. I'm not even sure about that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

You can click on the little arrows next to the person's username and it will take you to the post they replied to ^^

Vox, The Hill, The Guardian, The Economist, The Fiscal Times, Slate, and The Atlantic are all complex and analytical sources of news.

Last edited:
i refuse to associate myself with feminism at all because fo radical feminists- terfs mainly- and instagram feminists that r like 15 year old girls running it

i refuse to associate myself with feminism at all because fo radical feminists- terfs mainly- and instagram feminists that r like 15 year old girls running it
true, but the main reason why i don't like feminism is because we don't need it anymore.
women are the most privileged in western society, these people keep pushing "we want to be equal!" but guess what, you've reached too far. my point wasn't men have it super bad too, men have it worse.

why tf did someone bump this to compain about the thread is this forum for real .....,. cant u all go play in the basement or something bc now youre just trying to start drama and complain abt ****

why are you replying to a 500 yr old post

it's true that there are a lot of issues with gender. everyone is negatively affected by gender, gender stereotypes, hypermasculinity, rape culture (and the view many ppl in society have of sex in general) and all that stuff. gender sucks a ton and it sucks for everyone

men arent victims of sexism though. they are victims of our gendered society, gender roles and gender stereotypes but sexism isnt rly a word that imo should be used for men's issues because while men do have problems due to gender it isnt in the same ways as women who have had to and still have to fight to be seen and treated like humans. men have never had that issue because they are men. sexism isnt as big of a problem today in western society as it was before and i think thats why a lot of people think men are victims of sexism too but i really think sexism is the wrong word for these issues.
women also have a lot of problems All Thanks To gender roles and stereotypes which ties into sexism and discrimination of women a lot.

i honestly think that gender as a concept needs to be ****ing burned and rebuilt because the way it is now is toxic to everyone. i get that we cant actually burn gender but we can work towards changing society and our views on gender.

like i'm not saying men don't have issues, but desperately wanting to label the issues they have as sexism doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

also i'd say that modern feminism should be focused on removing all gender issues. feminism has been very focused on women because they haven't been treated well (and still arent to a certain extent, like with abortion laws etc.) but i think that many western countries have come very far with women's issues and i think that the right thing to focus on now is gender and how it Sux.

also if anyone else replies to old comments i will Die and not reply bc im not interested in reading thru the thread and trying to remember what i meant thought when i wrote those posts lol

I was reading through the thread again when I suddenly came across a really great post and it was me it's always nice realising how great my opinions are

To echo what I previously said I belive in equality which to me makes me a feminist. Also saying you're not a feminist cause we live in western society is bull**** 1/ still not equal 2/ feminism means believing in equality for all women not just ur own tiny bubble of western society. Until women across the globe have equal opportunities I will label myself a feminist

Last edited:
I am a feminist, as I have been since I was at least 13 years of age. The past 20 years have seen a lot of changes in the world, but to say that feminism is unnecessary in 2017 is just bizarre from my perspective. I am much more educated, knowledgeable, experienced, emotionally aware, compassionate, and (hopefully) wise than I was at 13. I am a better person now than I was then, and I'm a better feminist now than I was then, too.

Firstly : intersectionality is very important to understand when it comes to feminism. A great introductory article is this one : http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5269255 - for anyone inclined to critique the source, I first read this article elsewhere but have found that this link works best to share since it's accessible regardless of where you are in the world, and has no paywall.

Secondly : having equal rights on paper doesn't mean that people actually receive those equal rights and considerations. If it did, the crime rates would be negligible! So the idea that most first world countries have little-to-none problems with sexism, discrimination, and associated harmful consequences simply because there are laws against this occuring, is at best, a non sequitur.

Finally : bodily autonomy. From this link : http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/abortion/mother/for_1.shtml

"Many people regard the right to control one's own body as a key moral right. If women are not allowed to abort an unwanted foetus they are deprived of this right.

A neat little summary article of how bodily autonomy (or bodily integrity) and reproductive choices are the same thing : http://www.abortionrightscampaign.ie/2017/01/29/my-bodily-autonomy-my-choice/

I live in a country that has a reasonable level of publicly funded healthcare, including women's health and reproductive services. Which is incredibly lucky for me, as it happens, since I have severely (extremely) complicated endometriosis. That and another couple of health conditions combined means my body would be unable to maintain a pregnancy until a point where the foetus could survive outside of my uterus. I would be lucky to live until the 2nd trimester, were I foolish enough to try. The foetus would not live regardless. If I somehow accidentally fall pregnant, my choice will come down to almost certain death + loss of the foetus, or life + loss of the foetus. There is no good outcome from a choice like that, and I hope I never have to make it. It's statistically very, very unlikely that I ever would. But if it happens then I will benefit profoundly from living in a country that currently accepts my fundamental *right* to choose. In my case it is not much of a choice, but it still one that should be made by myself privately with my medical team and my partner. Who is also a feminist, and one of the best, most intelligent men I have ever met, incidentally.

If I had my medical conditions and history but lived in much of the US instead of Australia (or other countries with appropriate healthcare provisions), I might just as well be living in the dark ages. My family would have been bankrupted from my first round of surgeries alone, assuming I could have gotten diagnosed in the first place. "Planned Parenthood" doesn't just provide abortions - they would be probably the only service I could be treated at without an extraordinary private health insurance policy (which I could not afford alone, in my condition).

For as long as my bodily autonomy rights & access to safe, appropriate health and reproductive services is dependent on the whim of the government of my geographical location, I need feminism.

ZEGZYUu.jpg

- - - Post Merge - - -

Sorry, my "Thirdly" paragraph was accidentally deleted, it covered the fact that women around the world are still not equal. So even if all was equal in my own part of the world (and it's really, really not), then I would still be a feminist trying to help women elsewhere in the world attain the same freedoms I have.

Well I'm not an extremist like Buzzfeed and nor am I an actual advocate but I do believe in equal pay and equal rights and all that.

Sooooooo about that feminism thing, the topic of this thread :
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/...n-swapped-names-at-work/ar-AAo7dQd?li=BBoPOOm

and

https://medium.com/@nickyknacks/working-while-female-59a5de3ad266#.a1bcf02tj

(which is linked in the first article)

do an excellent job of outlining the real life, real world reality of many many women. The situation was a fluke, an accident caused by the way they used their email. But it allowed this man to see just how dramatically differently *he* was treated vs *she* was. And even more so when they decided to "swap" their names for a week or so just to see how things changed - without changing anything themselves but the name on the signature line of the emails.

The woman had the "most productive time of her career" to quote him. He.. did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back