Have you ever been scammed? How did you deal with it?

FanGirlCookie

i hate my username
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Red Cosmos
Pear (Fruit)
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
I just did a trade with someone who seemed a little shady (he wasn't in the end, he just wasn't very nice xD.)
So that got me wondering about scamming. I've never been scammed before, but maybe some of you have.
Care to share those experiences? xD

never been scammed, this forum very rarely has scammers, or none at all, so i've always received my items at the end. if someone forgot a part of furniture they were supposed to deliver, they send it at the end.

i have been scammed on other websites for other stuff, but i just thought that they must be lame to take pleasure in taking virtual crap.

I've never been scammed, hope it never happens.
If I were, I'd try to keep calm and be the bigger person. No use starting an argument for it, since that leaves consequences for both people. It's just a waste of time!

I haven't had any bad experiences on this forum tbh! A few that a bit more pushy/rude than others but all in all things go pretty smoothly. I think it's mainly because most ACNL items dont really hold that much value lol. Bells arent that difficult to come by and the economy isnt so bad that finding any certain item is super difficult

I've never been scammed before but I have been that person who *seems* pretty shady once.
Someone was doing a giveaway and I didn't read the rules properly and took items I shouldn't have but they was so chill with it and didn't give me a bad wifi rating thank god ;~;

IM NOT SHADY, GUYS

Last edited:
I almost NEVER use other sites for anything ACNL related, but the few times that I did, I never got scammed. I guess I got lucky. I have never been scammed ever. In fact, I once met some stranger on Club Tortimer who offered to give me thousands of bells because I was broke at the time lol. I politely declined, but nonetheless, my few trips to the Club have been surprisingly pleasant compared to everyone else's.

I've had people try to scam me before. I had one girl run to the train station and try to leave without paying me for some items. :l No one has been successful though because I'm pretty fast with the wifi switch.

I've never been scammed, but I have been stolen from, many times actually. I'm not very good with watching everyone.
It's one of the main reasons I don't wifi anymore.

never! if I know I have random **** lying around I always follow them around but, if I do suspect something shady is going on I flip the wifi switch

Last edited:
I've actually been really fortunate on this site in terms of trades/visits etc. Sometimes I even get unsolicited tips like hybrids! Everyone I've dealt with has been SO nice!! :)

As someone who started wifi-ing back in ACWW (it was SUPER EASY to get scammed or have your town ruined due to glitches), heres some Tips:

-If you're really nervous about the player, pick up all your hybrid flowers and keep them in lockers. ALTERNATIVELY: keep count of what you have, and sweep your town afterwards and do a check (more risky)
-keep your finger on the wifi switch
-Be cautious if they ask you to save. Unless you're letting them catalog 100+ items or letting them weed, there's usually no reason to
-Sometimes I keep zodiac items or extra items on the floor. Be sure you lock items like this away before visitors come
-Be careful of deals that sound too good to be true
-Only wifi/trade with one person at once, doing a sweep of your items to make sure they're still there, so if someone steals something of yours, you know who it was (but this is VERY tedious)

And some Tips for the island, as I've had a few bad experiences there:
-Do not get too attached to any items you catch/earn on the island. Someone may trap you or flip their switch. If you want a rare, it's best to buy it, then leave immediately.
-Sometimes people will hold you hostage until you pay them bells from the ABD. They will do this by staying in a looping conversation with the boat lady. Do not pay these people. Flick the wifi switch instead, these people cannot often be reasoned with.
-I've seen a few players set up an island perfect for bug catching, let you play for 30 min, then trap you. It stinks.
-If the other visitors are acting funny, that's a good sign something is up.

I've been scammed only once on this forum. It's generally been a very pleasant experience. Even when I was scammed, it was out of TBT, and the girl returned my TBT after I threatened to give her a negative rating for not following through and ignoring my PMs (it was for IGB)

i've never been scammed fortunately, but i've had people try to steal from me. luckily i've been able to hit the switch quickly enough every time

i've never been scammed or had any suspicious experiences here. everyone is very kind and always ask before doing things!

I have not been scammed before, luckily. I'm not on any other Animal Crossing related website other than this one because this one is so trustworthy with the community, I couldn't be happier to be on here. Hopefully I don't get scammed though, whenever I'm trading with someone in my town I'm always cautious.

Not with anything ACNL related. I got scammed out of an art trade on here though. I know that artists like to take their time and all, but over one year is a bit excessive. I PM'd her after 1-3 months after I gave my pic and she said she would get it done. I highly doubt it now that she's barely active on tbt anymore. Not sure how mods would go about fixing it anyway unless they decided to draw something for me.

Last edited:
1 out of every 10 people I've helped with crossbreeding hybrids eventually bought hybrids from someone else. I didn't get mad though, as many people aren't as patient as I am.

I've never been scammed on here, everyone here is so nice and generally trustworthy.

On another note, I love putting extra things in payments, like rare items or extra bells. I once, when trading with a friend, put over 1 million in bells hidden around his town. He then made a game of finding said bells. ^^;

I'm sure scammers are out there, but I've just never come across them on here. Maybe it's the wifi rating system? Who knows! Either way, I'm glad for this community.

i mean kinda? i was selling a villager and the person who bought her forgot to pay ... it was an honest mistake and it didnt matter that much (we talked about it afterwards and they offered to go back to pay but it really didnt matter to me so!!) . so uh yyye i didnt really do anything about it.

it would probably have felt different if they would have done it just to be an ass tho

Someone scammed me and when I gave them a negative review, they wrote me a nasty pm and an unjustified negative review to get back at me, I contacted a mod to get my review removed, they contacted the scammer and obviously because a mod contacted them they offered to give me my item so they wouldn't get into serious trouble. I didn't wanna deal with a second scam so I just dropped it, thankfully the mod removed my review but sadly they removed the scammer's one as well because they offered to give me my item I paid for a day earlier. Go figure.

So yeah, I stopped trading because of it. I also quit the forum because it kinda ruined my experience, but I came back to chat a little bit.

Edit: Not trying to scare anybody, but it was an active user with lots of positive ratings.
They sold me an item and then attempted to sell it to another user because they 'didn't like me', despite me never having any interaction with said user.

My only advice to avoid that is to listen to your gut. I had a bad feeling about the user but wanted to trade with them to be nice. It backfired.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been scammed, but my sister was scammed on here when she was new and ended up getting her TBT back from the mods. Don't trust brand new accounts with big promises. :p

Back