• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Vegan Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laureline

Afk at Random
Bells
New Horizons Token
Spring Sakura
Ancient Candle
Purple Bat Potion
White Rose
Blue Hybrid Rose
Blue Candy
Purple Candy
Famous Mushroom
Sakura Easter Egg
Have you had it? Did you like it? Also what brand?

I'm newly vegetarian and I just bought Diaya cheese and I found it smelled gross . Also the taste made me feel sick. Now I don't know if it will taste better melted or not. But what's your opinion? Also any advice for finding a cheese that taste almost like the real thing?

Vegans should stop pretending like they eat real food and just admit that they munch on grass all day like cows.

Last edited:
Vegans should stop pretending like they eat real food and just admit that they munch on grass all day like cows.

priceless and no i've never tried vegan cheese and why do you want to eat vegan cheese you said you're vegetarian?

Because dairy bothers my stomach.

I don't know. Use that powdered cheese crap that they put on Cheetos. I'm pretty sure there isn't any real cheese in that stuff, or real anything for that matter.

Last edited:
I'm a vegan. I was brought up vegan, so I can't really help you, because cheese has always been cheese to me.

I never thought to look at store brand. I'm just looking for one that doesn't taste like sour milk.

I like Daiya if it is melted. Did you try melting it?

I couldnt' eat cheese for a while so that's why I tried it and liked it. Now I'm back to real cheese. I like both, but only Daiya was ok out of the vegan cheeses I have tried.

I haven't melted it yet. But I will tomorrow when I make a grilled cheese with onions and mushrooms.

Last edited:
If you are just lactose intolerant they do make things like lactaid that you can take that's supposed to make it digestible for people. I don't know if you have looked into anything like that but just thought I'd throw that out there since I can't help with cheese recommendations.

Closest I've had is Mini-Chol (which is a soy based cheese). I don't think it's 100% vegan since it contains milk powder, but it's actually pretty good. I prefer it to the basic regular cheeses like cheddar and tasty.

I used to be a vegetarian for several years when I was a kid, and coincidentally, dairy really upsets my stomach too. Although I don't know where about you are (what country), over here there is some cheese called 'free and easy', it's only sold in the health food shops I believe, it's quite pricey. But it does taste quite close to normal cheese. I mean I've given up ever getting one that is just like cheese, this would be the next best thing for me.

Last edited:
There's not many options for vegan cheese sold in the UK, but I usually eat a brand called violife, their cheese slices and pizza cheese is great, shreese is good too, but i've only had their cheese spread. I've had Daiya mac and cheese before and it was amazing, so their cheese is probably pretty good too, although I've never tried it.

Cheese is one thing that I've found hard to actually find a good substitute, going straight from dairy cheese to vegan cheese likely isn't going to be good as honestly there isn't one that tastes like the real thing, not that I've found yet anyway (other than pizza cheese and mac and cheese).

Daiya is better melted and hidden by other ingredients. On its own or as a main ingredient, it tastes quite weird. For sliced commercial cheese, I like Field Roast's Chao slices. For soft cheeses, I like Treeline's brand. Both of these options are quite expensive though. There are also plenty of recipes online for vegan homemade cheeses if you want to give those a whirl. There's this vegan author, Miyoko Schinner, who wrote a very popular cookbook on vegan cheeses. She also sells cheese in retail, but it's hard to find unless you have an upscale market like Whole Foods near you. Just keep in mind that no vegan cheese has yet to taste exactly like the real thing.

Try Earth Island cheese slices. I love those a lot! I actually love the Daiya grated cheese. XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back