Red Tulip
Yellow Cosmos
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
Cake
Orange (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
Cake
I can't seem to connect through LAN between 2 Wild World games on 2 DS consoles. I know it should still be possible, but it just won't connect. How were you guys able to connect between your two towns? If it's any difference, it's a JP and NA game that are attempting to connect to each other, which I've heard from someone on here that it is possible. It just gives me a 0 bars Red WiFi symbol, and the visitor gets the message "There are no open gates" etc etc. Anyone know?

~Thanks

Last edited:
by LAN I mean DS to DS. My DS can't connect to the internet because routers don't use WEP anymore

My DS can't connect to the internet because routers don't use WEP anymore
Delve into your route settings, my friend. Though the online service has been terminated so you won't get any further.

Um... yeah, it could be a region issue since it's local. Are you using DS's from before or after the DSi? It introduced some wacky region locks and flash card protection which might (it's unlikely) be doing something.

Um... yeah, it could be a region issue since it's local. Are you using DS's from before or after the DSi? It introduced some wacky region locks and flash card protection which might (it's unlikely) be doing something.

I was using 3DS consoles but it uses the old DS wifi screen when I look for a connection on the "Wifi Options" section via the start screen. So I'd assume that wasn't the issue.. but it could be. I no longer have access to my DS Lite, nevermind 2 of them.

So it's confirmed I need to be connected to a wifi network before I even do DS to DS, right? Because I assumed it just searched for DS's nearby, not DS's connected to your LAN.

I don't think switching to WEP does anything actually. I tried to connect to an open wifi network and I still get a connection error. (even when it shows the green wifi symbol, once I open my gates it's red)

Last edited:
So it's confirmed I need to be connected to a wifi network before I even do DS to DS, right? Because I assumed it just searched for DS's nearby, not DS's connected to your LAN.
No, you do not need any sort of connection for local play. Think of it like a Bluetooth connection. Thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the DS actually used some form of Bluetooth. :p
I don't think switching to WEP does anything actually. I tried to connect to an open wifi network and I still get a connection error. (even when it shows the green wifi symbol, once I open my gates it's red)
You'll be getting a connection error because the Nintendo Network service has been terminated...

No, you do not need any sort of connection for local play. Think of it like a Bluetooth connection. Thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the DS actually used some form of Bluetooth. :pYou'll be getting a connection error because the Nintendo Network service has been terminated...

Ok, I think after doing some research, I learned that JP and NA Wild Worlds might not be compatible :/ That still doesn't explain how that other person claimed he was able to do it, unless he was lying. I still need clarification on this, if anyone knows.

Last edited:
Ok, I think after doing some research, I learned that JP and NA Wild Worlds might not be compatible :/ That still doesn't explain how that other person claimed he was able to do it, unless he was lying. I still need clarification on this, if anyone knows.
Yeah, it may be that you can play cross-region with online play but not local play or there's some exploit or something.

Cross-region multiplayer is compatible with both local and Wi-Fi play, however for English speaking players this is only the case with PAL and NTSC copies of the game.

NTSC to JPN or PAL to JPN will not work regardless of whether the connection is local or over the internet. This is because of the hardware and memory limitations of the DS.

I don't think there has ever been a way around this either, as DS memory expansion packs were never compatible with ACWW :(

Last edited:
Cross-region multiplayer is compatible with both local and Wi-Fi play, however for English speaking players this is only the case with PAL and NTSC copies of the game.

NTSC to JPN or PAL to JPN will not work regardless of whether the connection is local or over the internet. This is because of the hardware and memory limitations of the DS.

I don't think there has ever been a way around this either, as DS memory expansion packs were never compatible with ACWW :(
I love how people still go on about PAL and NTSC even though it has never applied to handhelds due to them never really being connected to a usually CRT TV at either 576i50 (PAL) or 480i60 (NTSC). The three DS regions are USA, EUR and JAP.

Anyway, back on track, what do you mean it won't work because of hardware/memory limitations? All regions of DS systems have the same hardware, and there isn't even any region locking. Is it because the game would have to handle both English and Japanese character sets for the chat and there's not enough memory for both character sets? :S

I love how people still go on about PAL and NTSC even though it has never applied to handhelds due to them never really being connected to a usually CRT TV at either 576i50 (PAL) or 480i60 (NTSC). The three DS regions are USA, EUR and JAP.

Ah whoops, I'm so used to referring to the different regions as PAL/NTSC that I forgot it doesn't apply to handhelds. Sorry about that!

Anyway, back on track, what do you mean it won't work because of hardware/memory limitations? All regions of DS systems have the same hardware, and there isn't even any region locking. Is it because the game would have to handle both English and Japanese character sets for the chat and there's not enough memory for both character sets? :S

I assume that's the case! The lack of holidays in Wild World was 'to ease the localisation process', so saying that I don't think the Japanese version has extra/different holidays that would affect the compatibility between regions. It may well be that there are slight differences in the Japanese game in terms of events and how they work, but I'm not sure myself :p
I do know that the Japanese version uses hiragana, katakana and kanji scripts, so my only assumption is that the three character sets are the reason for lack of compatibility. Maybe the English copies wouldn't be able to handle the use of the three character sets on the Town Hall notice board, in letters, chat etc. along with the English character set.

Maybe the English copies wouldn't be able to handle the use of the three character sets on the Town Hall notice board, in letters, chat etc. along with the English character set.
Yeah. With 4MB of RAM (if I remember correctly from one Wikipedia article), I'm surprised Wild World can run at all! :p

Back