Have you hacked/edited your town, or would?

if you could move rocks definitely
if it unlocks public works projects definitely
never used hacks, never will. in some ways it takes the actual game away

You can move rocks and there's an option to unlock all the public works projects.

(following is unrelated to the above reply)

I just really hate it when people bully another person just because they hacked. Each person has their own way of playing, you know?

Actually, not as much as you would expect! A lot of my towns were made with the express idea that they would be Hacked towns, and I still spend months and months working on them. I haven't found myself loosing any of the excitement and fun; in fact, it opens up new possibilities for my towns and allows for more creativity for me.

Yup! I hacked my town after traditionally playing it for 3 years. I wanted to hack it so that I could express my creativity freely. It felt so great to be able to put PWPs wherever I wanted without having the hassle of fumbling with Isabelle, arranging more than 13 bushes /trees in a row, and re-locating those pesky rocks so that it didn't mess with my paths.

After having landscaped my town to my taste without any limitations, I've grown even more in love with my town than before. It's become an extension of myself and reflects my personality and creativity. I definitely would recommend it to anyone that feels like they have grown bored/tired with their towns. You could literally try anything with your town and landscaping/decorating is effortless!

I know a lot of players are against hacking for their own reasons, but in all honesty, if I bought the game myself and didn't take anything away from the Animal Crossing franchise, what's the harm? I think downloading/torrenting games is worse than hacking your town because you're actually taking money away from the business.

i hack my game. the most ive really done is move around buildings and rocks and change the landscaping so things are nicer and more accessible. once i get my town going a little bit more i'll use it to place my paths and move my trees and rocks (again..lol.)

No probably not. I admire what people do with it. Before I knew it was a thing it gave me kind of unrealistic ideas of things I could do with my town. I can now tell even if it isn't obvious if a town is probably hacked or not. Basically no, I wouldn't because it kind of takes away the slow pace of animal crossing. Plus I wouldn't be able to figure it out anyway, lol.

Last edited:
I just started hacking my town and I love it. I have one hacked and one non-hacked town. I loved being able to landscape as I wanted. My hacked town is my favorite one to play.

i been over someone's town that was edited, like his retail shop was on the beach? interesting indeed, but wouldn't actually do it myself. i like some things the way they are meant to be made.

I have five towns, and I have two that I'm actively hacking right now. I'm not going to do anything super crazy (just put trees and bushes and stuff where they can't usually go and move people around until I'm happy with placements), but my main town that I've had since launch will probably never be hacked cause I'm happy with it the way it is. My town Olympus, I unlocked PWPs and moved a couple rocks, but I didn't edit the map really at all cause I like it too much lol. Mostly I just give myself items that I don't want to wait to collect in that one, but my newer two towns are gonna be foresty so I wanted to bend some of the game's abilities a bit for those.
I don't like overly hacked towns as much, but so long as the person playing it likes it and doesn't mind navigating it everyday then I don't care what they do. I have seen beautiful hacked towns, and I've seen some mediocre hacked towns. If hacking helps some people be more creative then, hey, go for it. At this point since I've been playing the game normally since launch, when I get a new town I mostly just want to decorate it because I've already caught bugs and fish and all that in my first town, and being in college, I don't always have time to play for long periods of time to collect items or unlock PWPs or make money to pay off my house, so those are things that I hack so that I can do what I want to do quicker. If I had the luxury of being able to do nothing but play without having to worry about studying, homework, and other adult responsibilities, then sure, I'd probably never hack.

I like all kinds of towns whether its obviously hacked or a completely 'natural' town.
So I recently learned how to hack again, with the new update. I hacked my town but everything I did can be done/seen normally in the game. I put trees and bushes where they can normally go, put villager homes in possible places, and I moved rocks around but also made sure to keep a decent amount of them in the town. One thing I really liked about hacking was adding one of the new welcome amiibo villagers because I don't have any cards or the card reader.

Nope, never have. I might consider it one day so I can move villager houses, rocks, and other things like that to better spots. But I wouldn't give myself anything you couldn't legitly get in the game.

I have and my N3DS is completely hacked!
However I'm not doing it atm since I'm in the one-year challenge

Yeah. Mainly to keep multiple towns though using saves and such. That way I don't have to buy multiple cartridges or something.

Last edited:

I've gotten to a point where it actively bothers me to not be able to hack my town. There's just so much more freedom in hacking for things that there's no reason why it isn't already a game function. Don't get me wrong, I have a few non-hacked towns, but I don't love them anywhere NEAR as much as my hacked towns. The amiibo functionality has helped me in some ways, but there's something wonderful in being able to get exactly the town you want. There's charm in working with what you have as well, of course... but for me, that charm just doesn't equal the freedom I have with hacking. Not only that, but you can make back-ups of your game in case there's a random glitch or something else awful happens! Someone steals your cart? Whelp, if you import your old map and match it up, you can get almost everything back to the way you had it in just a few days-weeks rather than years!

I understand why some people are against hacking, and you should never profit from / force other players to interact with a hacked town if they don't want to, but for personal play I absolutely love it! I've also been playing the game since it came out with an average play time of an hour per day, so when I see people argue that it takes the fun out of things... That's very, very not true for most of us ^0^;;;

Have fun with your game, no matter how you choose to play! <3 Just always respect others and remember there are risks when you hack <3

I've thought about it but, I think the satisfaction would be short lived.

Last edited:
It happened out of accident; I bought a second-hand 3DS without knowing that it had custom firmware installed in it. I decided to try hacking my town, just to recreate the old village that I'd lost. The dreamies that had gone, the PWPs that I couldn't replicate on another save...I ended up loving it.

I try to keep changes very minimal and very discreet, but I really like the end results. The freedom to make your own choices is very refreshing.

Back