• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Mafia TBT Newbie Game VII: The Daily Tragedy - Town win

N e s s

Waiting for something to happen?
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
う
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
Red Feather
Father's Day Carnation
Cherry (Fruit)
Happy Home Designer Token
Orange Mote of Flame
Apple (Fruit)
January Birthstone (Garnet)
Small Mailbox
The Daily Tragedy
9/14/1946 - Monday Edition

There have been recent reports of murders inside BellTree town this past saturday. The murder was a politician known to the town as Mayor Jeremy. We have an apparent eye-wittness report from a woman known as Tina. "It was awful, I saw them kill him in front of me! I just barely managed to get away to tell the tale!" Tina said. The apparent perpetrators call themselves The Mafia. For the importance of your safety, don't go outdoors at night or go anywhere shady. That is all for today, purchase tomorrow's paper for more news regarding the subject.

Introduction - Basic Rules of Mafia

In its simplest form, Mafia is a game of uninformed majority (Town) versus Informed Minority, (Mafia). This is seperated into the 2 teams, Town and Mafia. Mafia know who each other are, and can coordinate their actions privately. Town players on the other hand don't know anything other than their own role. To compensate, there are many more Town than Mafia. The objective of the game is for Town to eliminate by killing or lynching all the Mafia before it is too late. The game is divided into repeating phases of Day and Night. Day revolves around voting for a player to be lynched. Night is reserved for the Mafia to make their kills and certain players to use their special abilities.

*I'd also like to note that this game accepts players who have only played under 5 games. If you've played over 5 games, then you're welcome to sign up to be an SE or IC. More about SE's and IC's later.

WARNING

Mafia requires time commitment. Atleast 30 minutes of solid effort should be required every day. As part of the time commitment, Mafia requires a great deal of reading. Most people are actually quite poor at reading comprehension and playing Mafia is a great way to improve your reading ability, as well as your writing and ability to think and argue logically.

Confused about the rules?

Still scratching your head? Don't fret, check out this awesome flash presentation of how to play mafia! Click the link below!

Click here!

Playerlist - With filters!
Psst, click on any of the player names and you'll get a collage of all their posts!​

1. Amanda1983
2. Sparro*
3. Iwaseleanor
4. Fleshy Lynched Day 1, Mafia Roleblocker
5. Nightmares
6. Menchie
7. Arstotzkan [IC]
8. Toadsworthy [SE]
9. Entropy [SE]

Prods are marked by a *

Players still alive: 8/9

Mafia still alive: 1/2

Mafia Killing Power: 1

N/A
Tom
Taesaek
Cory
Liamslash
Curry
PandaDarling
Mogyay
Damniel

Set-up information

This game will require 9 players. If you have any friends who you think would be interested, refer them to the game! This is actually a really fun game once you give it a shot, let your friends know on or off site!

This game uses Matrix 6.

ABC
1JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerCopDoctor
31-shot bulletproofMafia GoonTracker

For this set up, I will choose 1 row or column from this table. Depending on what I choose, that will be the set-up of this game and it will be up to you the players to work with whatever set-up was chosen. For example: if I were to choose row 3, then the game would feature 1 Mafia goon, a 1-shot bulletproof, and a Tracker. If I chose this, then the rest of the roles would be filled up with Vanilla townies and 1-2 extra Mafia Goons. For your convenience, I have placed all of the Role PM's in the following spoiler~

There will also be unique role names for each role. Role names do not effect the game in any manor, its just there for flavor.

Welcome!

You are a Vanilla Townie.

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here. Confirm by replying with your role name to this PM.

Welcome!

You are a Town Jailkeeper.

Each night you may select 1 player. That player for the night phase will be "jailed". They will both be protected from any attacks and also roleblocked (action if any won't work) for the night.

Welcome!

You are a Town Cop.

Each night phase you may investigate 1 player. You will receive a PM in the morning telling you if they're either Town of Mafia aligned.

Welcome!

You are a Town Doctor.

Each night phase you may select one player to "protect" for the night. If that player is attacked at night, you will heal them and bring them back to life. You can't protect the same person 2 nights in a row, nor are you notified if your target was attacked.

Welcome!

You are a 1-Shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill made on you in the game. If you're attacked, you won't be notified but you'll still be alive in the game.

Welcome!

You are a Town Tracker.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

Welcome!

You are a Mafia Goon.

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a Mafia Goon/Roleblocker.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at all times.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Welcome!

You are a Mafia Roleblocker.

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a Mafia Goon.

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at all times.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here. Confirm by replying with your role name to this PM.​
Game set-up rules

PMs:
PMs and other out-of-thread communication are NOT allowed UNLESS you are explicitly told otherwise. Any players doing so will be modkilled without warning.

Activity:
You must contribute one substantial post at least once every full day/night cycle. This means that if you only make one post, it needs to be more substantial than simply saying "I agree" or "RIP". If you post multiple times, this rule may may be less strict. There may be exceptions to this if day/night phases progress rapidly at any stage in the game.

Replacements:
This game uses replacements. Replacements will be made up until the end of Night 2.

Time Cycle and Phases:
The game will generally follow a 48 hour day and 24 hour night cycle. If I am not online and available to post when a phase is set to end, the game will be paused until I can post. No actions will be accepted during this period. The final deadline will always be 8:00 PM CDT. (9 PM EDT, there will be a counter this game).

Day:
During Day, the town must choose a lynchee. If the number of votes reaches Majority or Plurality, that person is lynched. Day will always be 48 hours long.
Night will follow after the lynch post has been published by me.

Night:
During Night, you can send in night actions. Night always ends after 24 hours, regardless of when all actions are submitted. This to prevent activity speculation as to who used what.

General Mafia Rules​

Cheating:
Cheating includes (but is not limited to):

1. Posting after death. You may have one polite goodbye post, but it may not contain any potentially game-changing information.
2. Ruining the game by doing something like handing out your mafia's member list to the town.
3. Logging on to someone else's account to get their role or looking over someone's shoulder to get their role.
4. Comparing role PM timings to try and work out roles.
5. Posting or sharing any PM you receive from a host without permission.
6. Getting yourself modkilled to help your team. Your non-majority-decided death may not be used as a bargaining chip.
7. Signing up more than once using smurf accounts.
8. Offering favours/items/bells outside of the game for a ingame information.
9. Sharing accounts with other players.
10. Breadcrumbing the specific phrasing of your role PM. Do not compare the phrasing in your role PM to prove your alignment. You can claim the abilities you have, but you can't use the specific phrasing of your role PM.
11. Posting a false PM phrased as if you received it from the host. You can still fake roleclaim, but you cannot make it look like you are posting a PM you received from the host.

YOU MAY ONLY COPY AND PASTE TEXT FOR USE AS EVIDENCE. POSTING SCREENSHOTS OR ANY OTHER NON-TEXT EVIDENCE IS CONSIDERED CHEATING. THE ONLY EXCEPTION IS EVIDENCE THAT IS PUBLICLY AVAILABLE FOR ALL PLAYERS TO CHECK (eg. post counts in a thread). IT IS BEST IF YOU CHECK WITH ME FIRST.

Cheating is not tolerated here as it ruins the game for everyone. The mods and admins here CAN take action and at worst is punishable by site ban.

Mod Font:
This is the mod color. It is reserved for the host. Please do not use it.

Question Font:
This is the question color. Use it to ask the host questions about the rules in public. You can also PM me.

Spam:
Strategic spam is acceptable, within reason.

Editing:
Editing is not allowed for any reason. Editing will result in a warning. After that, you will be modkilled. While I ask for everybody to post as concisely as possible, post again if you have to edit anything. The board software automatically merges the posts anyway.

Prods:
Prods are my method of telling a player that they are inactive and need to get into the thread. If you get a prod, it last until the next subsequent phase of the game. For example if you got a prod on night 1, you don't get the prod taken off until the end of night 2. If you have 1 prod, no big deal its only a warning. If you have 2 prods, I will begin to look for a replacement to take you out of the game. If you get a 3rd prod, you're instantly removed from the game and get banned for inactivity.

Wisdom of the Crowds
WoTC is In effect this game. If a player has over 4 WoTC votes on them, they will not be allowed in the game. Please send these votes in via PM to me.

Inappropriate posts:
Mafia games can get heated and emotional at times. Please keep it civil and remember that what happens in Mafia should stay in Mafia. Don't let things wash over to the rest of the forum, it's only a game.

Observers' Chat:
While spectators will be fueling speculation, and dead players will be keen to give valuable "insight" into the game, please refrain from revealing game-changing information (eg. the identities of your fellow Mafia). Speculate, theorise and express bewilderment at dumb plays all you want, but remember that the chat is not leakproof and game-ruining information CAN get out.

Encryption: Don't create messages that only one other person can understand. This counts as out of thread communication and will be counted as a modkill and ban from mafia.

Play to win.
You should try your best to help your team win while you are alive and in the game. Clearly not playing towards your win objective will be grounds for a modkill and a ban from mafia for however long Tom decides to ban you. However, this does not mean that you should try to win by being a jerk to the other players so they all want to quit playing.

This also means that you cannot leave the game without a good reason. These situations will be dealt with on a case by case basis. PM the host if you need to leave the game.

You have been warned.

Voting rules

1. This game uses Majority/Plurality Lynch. Whenever a player has the most votes on them at the end of a day phase, they are lynched and out of the game til it ends. However, if a player reaches over half of the players voting them, they will be lynched immediately.
2. Voting will be done in the voting thread: [CLICK HERE]
3. Please use the format: ##VOTE: Username. I'm not requiring this, but it makes it easier for me to notice.
4. Voting is required. If you don't vote, you will have a prod until the next phase.

Credits

Thank you KarlaKGB for introducing mafia to TBT, as well as everyone else who plays mafia!

Semi-Experienced (SE) Sign-ups

Considering there are 9 players, i'd like 2 of the players to be Semi-experienced players who know how to play the game efficiently enough to be able to set a good example for the newbies. SE's have just as good as a chance as everyone else of being town or mafia. Everybody in the game is RNG'd their roles, so don't use the mindset that just because their experienced it makes them mafia. If you're going to sign as an SE, there are 4 rules you need to follow:

1. Do not stoop down to the level the newbies are at. You're supposed to set an example, play how you would play a normal game.
2. Be civil to the newbies as well as everyone else. Remember, you're setting an example so give a good atmosphere.
3. Be sure to remind the newbies that just because you're experienced doesn't mean any of them should sheep to what you say. Even if you're mafia, don't let them sheep to your words.
4. Don't be afraid to challenge or make a case on a newbie, don't go easy on them.

Signing up to be the IC

Being the IC is a tough job, because you have strict guidelines to follow as well as you being the foundation for the game. There are very strict guidelines to follow, which you can read in this article here: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Being_a_good_IC

HTML:
[B]How many games have you played on the site?
Do you have the time and effort to be able to play the whole game?
On a scale of 1-10 how would you rank yourself in the game?
Do you get emotional or heated when you play mafia?[/B]

Also, please note this: You can not drop out of the game if you are assigned as the IC. If you absolutely have to drop out of the game, then please contact me and I will discuss it with you. Before the game starts I will pick who the IC is and choose 1 other person to ask if i'm rejected by whom i picked. You have been warned.

If you haven't read all of the rules, please go back and do so. If you still don't understand all the rules, rinse and repeat until it makes sense.
I won't compensate for ignorance!

Last edited:
Time until next phase

Coming soon!

Day/Night Posts

Click on any of the following links to be taken to that phase.

Day 1/Night 1
Day 2

Last edited:
Sign ups are now OPEN. Please advertise to get at minimum 3 new players to try out the game.

i'll /in for SE if you need it.

if not, please hit me up for obs! thank's son <3 can't wait to see how this goes.

/in please!!

I love your OP, and that encryption rule is a great idea thanks so much!!

obs, but if u need me i can be an IC

How many games have you played on the site? +10
Do you have the time and effort to be able to play the whole game? ye
On a scale of 1-10 how would you rank yourself in the game? i mean i am decent
Do you get emotional or heated when you play mafia? nah i don't have emotions

obs, but if u need me i can be an IC

How many games have you played on the site? +10
Do you have the time and effort to be able to play the whole game? ye
On a scale of 1-10 how would you rank yourself in the game? i mean i am decent
Do you get emotional or heated when you play mafia? nah i don't have emotions

if you're signing up for IC be sure to read the rules and guidelines.

i'll /in for SE if you need it.

if not, please hit me up for obs! thank's son <3 can't wait to see how this goes.

i'm gonna retract my /in for SE. i'm not doing so well..
i'd still like to be obs tho.

Back