• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Avatar Height Extension Shop item

Antonio

✦ Any Pronouns ✦
Bells
Switch
5457-1578-2981
Island
Reverie
Orange Balloon
Toy Hammer
Zodiac Dragon Figurine
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Night Sky Scenery
Night Sky Scenery
Night Sky Scenery
Night Sky Scenery
Night Sky Scenery
#HarambeIsHumanToo

Anyways, I think we should have a Avatar Height Extension like the width one. Why? Well I personally believe that it will even out the width one and people can save up for both of the items so they can have a little larger avatars. Like the Avatar Width Extension shop item, the height pixel will extend to 150px. I also hope we could get more shop items that extends the avatars to possibly 200px or even 250px in size.

#HarambeIsHumanToo

Anyways, I think we should have a Avatar Height Extension like the width one. Why? Well I personally believe that it will even out the width one and people can save up for both of the items so they can have a little larger avatars. Like the Avatar Width Extension shop item, the height pixel will extend to 150px. I also hope we could get more shop items that extends the avatars to possibly 200px or even 250px in size.

The avatar height extension is a moderator-exclusive item.

I really hope they don't do 200px or 250px avatars. That's ridiculously big; how much space do you need.

I think the only way an avatar height extension would even have a chance of being implanted is if it was coded in such a way that users can't have both height and width extensions active at the same time

so would essentially have the choice between taller avi or wider avi

since for some reason, staff think they need to be biggest

Last edited:
Tbh I wish we could just have 150x150 cause it's sometimes hard to get it right unless you have an exact image or detail you can crop and chop properly. Bigger than that wouldn't be really necessary tbh, sometimes stuff just look really stretched...

I'm pretty sure members used to get them, because I've seen members (not retired staff) with them.

I think they're better for staff, though, to be honest. The huge avatars make them look superior, whether intentional or not, and it would be weird to see everyone with them.

I'm pretty sure members used to get them, because I've seen members (not retired staff) with them.

I think they're better for staff, though, to be honest. The huge avatars make them look superior, whether intentional or not, and it would be weird to see everyone with them.

I'm assuming you're talking extra compression, because 150x150 and 100x100 would be the exact same amount of stretching for using the same image as base

yeah that since since they height and width in 150x100 a lot of times get stretched out and squeezed unless you crop an image well or get the detail correct when resizing.

as regards to sizes like those you mentioned yes probably even though smaller.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah same, idek if you could actual buy/get it before in some way so ye.

I think it's a bit fun though like, hey get staff and make use of bigger avatars lol

I'd be up for 150x150!

Did a little experiment and 200x200 doesn't even fit in the sidebar, though it would probably appear too large anyway.

If avatar sizes were to increase, we'd probably want the maximum avatar file size to be increased too. Even the current limit is a little low for GIFs - just look at how the frame rate, length and colours had to suffer for mine. Then again GIFs don't exactly have the most efficient of compression (yeesh, why couldn't APNGs have taken off?).

However, larger images means more bandwidth/storage, which could put additional strain on both the server and the internet connections of viewers. You really have to think these things through properly before they can be implemented.

Still, you have my vote on the theoretical side of things.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, if server storage and only storage would be an issue, avatar images could be hosted elsewhere (Imgur, DigitalOcean etc.) just like most signature images.

^Yeah they could always remove that function, I think most people upload it online when it comes to signatures the least, and as for avatar you could do that as well and then you have them on your own computer anyways.

And, yes it would probably require some re-organizing and discussion about bandwidth. I don't know how large the gifs could be or if they could be small only (but that would probably create another "unfair" debate about that) but yeah, it would be really cool if they made it available for everyone, and probably encourage people to save up bells for it.

Or they could do another Kickstarter things with collectible rewards, I don't know. It would probably look a bit weird once everyone went big with avatars the first time, but tbh I prefer either 100x100 or 150x150 when I make stuff, and a lot of images looks way better those sizes too.

I'd be down for 150x150. Sometimes I can't really tell details in an avatar. Really just an issue when I wanna put something detailed as my avi lol. But for the fair I wanted to make a nicer avatar but since you can't really tell details I didn't put much effort into it.

Another forum I use has 175x175 avatars for "premium" members or members who bought a special name color package. They're nice and big (too big maybe), but then again they use a different forum base than here. Maybe larger avatars could be a contest prize in the future? The staff already have colored names y'know?

Last edited:
actually, I just got a better idea

who here remembers the old nsider forums?

now who remembers the highly-restrictive-on-what-and-how-much-users-could-and-couldn't-do-or-have ranking system?

let's emulate that!

Last edited:
Back