• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Smash Bros Melee mains

AetherFenris

Dr.Stein
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I'm just getting into Melee competitively. I've played Smash 4 competitively almost since launch, but Melee is a different beast entirely. I grew up playing the game, but never so seriously. I'm adapting to the techniques like L-cancelling and wave dashing just fine, but I'm not sure who to focus on so I want to see who other people play as. I'm considering Link, as he is my secondary main in Smash 4.

Funny, I had a dream I was playing melee last night. Aw man, I haven't played melee in ages. Two game discs, both broken. ): I think I'd main Captain Falcon though. He was always my favorite in melee back in the day.

I'd go main Ness, even though he's terrible in Melee :^(

I go to a lot of Melee tournaments, so I kinda know what I'm talking about.
I would really not recommend Link, unless you're going in completely for fun. If you do want to take it seriously, it's best to choose from Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, and maybe Captain Falcon, Peach, Ice Climbers, and Samus.
A lot of people agree, including me, that it is best to start with Captain Falcon, as he is mostly fundamentals, until you can wavedash and L cancel properly, and then choose your main based off of which play style you like. I played Falcon for a bit, then played around with the Top and High Tiers, and decided I liked Marth.
But then again, if you are primarily a Smash 4 player and don't really mind about placement in Melee tournies, then Link is fine. Also, I don't recommend maining the same characters in 2 different Smash games, as it is easy to get confused.
Hope I helped! ^-^

Last edited:
I've always mained as Peach, Pichu was my second choice. I Played my favorite characters and usually won with them. The better they jump and float the easier it is for me to play with them.

If I played this...
I'd main Jigglypuff
I had this before and would play most often with her :3.
She's apparently a top tier... which I did not expect...

Last edited:
I played Melee a lot as a teenager with my friends. I'd usually main with Samus for whatever reason.

I remember that I played a lot as Captain Falcon... I think... It's been like a decade since I last played Melee...

I've been maining Pit and Shulk, but lately I've been messing around with Corrin and ZSS.

Ness has always been my main since the beginning.
Although, of course, this is the game that introduced me to Marth, so...him too.

Back